Board index FlightGear Development New features

Simple FG GUI front-end for Linux

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Simple FG GUI front-end for Linux

Postby stuart » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:31 pm

Hi Robert,

I'm finding I'm using fgo very regularly, so I'd like to get it into CVS.

Do you have a more recent version that I should look at?

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby erobo » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:29 pm

Hi Stuart,

stuart wrote:I'm finding I'm using fgo very regularly, so I'd like to get it into CVS.

Do you have a more recent version that I should look at?

Yes, actually I've been working on fgo recently, and new version (fgo-1-0.tar.gz) is ready. I updated attachments in first post, so you can download it there. This new version (hopefully) fixes reported earlier in this topic bug preventing fgo to run on more recent Linux distributions, and adds some new features: Rebuild Airport Database button in preferences window, or ability to resize application's window, and many more minor fixes and changes.

If you want to put this software into CVS, you may consider to change its license terms. Although current license (WTFPL, Version 2) is recognized by Free Software Foundation as compatible with GPL, you may change it to GPL if you want. You need to edit lines: 7-11, and 277-281 in fgo.py file.

Regards,
Robert
erobo

Postby stuart » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:40 pm

Thanks Robert. I'll take a look.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby mattt » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:00 pm

Hhhmmm... The new version works better than the old one. In other words, it works ;-)

Now I'm left wondering if I should migrate to fgo after getting all of my startup scripts worked out. Certainly it's a faster way to change aircraft / airports / etc...

Nice work :-)

Cheers,
Mattt.
FG CVS on: E7400 @ ~3.2ghz, Asus P5e, 4gb RAM, 512mb 8400GS, MS FF Pro, Logitech Illum KB, 2 x 19" LCDs
Favourite aircraft: 737-900ER, 777-200ER, 787, A380, F-14b, F-18, C172p
FGCom usually at 122.75mhz
FGVAS: http://fgvas.mattts.net
mattt

Callsign: Mattt

Postby chris_blues » Fri May 21, 2010 2:03 pm

Yep, it's quite fast! I like it already! Haven't tested much though... But what I saw to this point, it doesn't work click-starting from Nautilus. (Ubuntu 10.04_64) "python fgo.py" works just fine...

However, I'd like to offer my help translating that nice little prog! I could provide you with german translations (if you want that). This would be my first translation, so I guess you'll have to help me a little. Maybe not. Anyway, think about it! :)

Thanks for the program!!!

Regards
chris_blues

EDIT: I've edited your python-script and added german translations to the list. Lines 1500 to 1550. But as i suspected it doesn't work anymore. Since I have no clue about python, I guess you'll have to look for the errors I caused. All I did was extending the lines with a third text-part. It's probably just not registered in the rest of the program so you'll see the mistakes quick, I suppose.
Here's the broken script: http://musicchris.de/public_pics/fgo.py.plus_lang_de.py UPDATE: Since it's all included in fgo1.11, I've deleted the script from my site.

Hope it helps somehow :wink:

chris_blues
Last edited by chris_blues on Sat May 29, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby DFaber » Fri May 21, 2010 5:24 pm

chris_blues wrote:EDIT: I've edited your python-script and added german translations to the list. Lines 1500 to 1550. But as i suspected it doesn't work anymore. Since I have no clue about python, I guess you'll have to look for the errors I caused. All I did was extending the lines with a third text-part. It's probably just not registered in the rest of the program so you'll see the mistakes quick, I suppose.
Here's the broken script: http://musicchris.de/public_pics/fgo.py.plus_lang_de.py
s

This works perfectly here. I can select Language de and deselect it again. Have you saved your script under a different name in the fgo directory? Then you need to make sure the fgo shell script points to the correct python script.

Thanks for your effort!

Greetings
Detlef Faber
FlightGear Development:
http://flightgear-de.net

my 3D-Art:
https://www.sol2500.net
DFaber

Postby chris_blues » Fri May 21, 2010 6:42 pm

Now that I have it working, I fixed some mistakes. This means from now on there's a newer file behind that link.
Only thing that should be done: the "Save and Quit" button is a little too small for the Text "Speichern und beenden".

I hope Robert doesn't mind my "hijacking"!!! But I think you should integrate this into your work. :)
Maybe there's more coming...

Regards
chris_blues
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby erobo » Sat May 22, 2010 2:17 pm

chris_blues wrote:I hope Robert doesn't mind my "hijacking"!!! But I think you should integrate this into your work. :)

Not at all. :) I will be happy to add your translation to fgo. But I have some questions:
Whether word Flugzeugträger can be shorten to no more than eight letters? In current form it expands content of the window when aircraft carrier is selected, and it doesn't look good in my opinion. I must admit that I had the same problem with Polish translation. :) I'm planning to change name: Home directory, to more appropriate: Working directory. Should it be translated as Arbeitsverzeichnis?

Thank you for your help,
Robert
erobo

Postby chris_blues » Sat May 22, 2010 2:46 pm

erobo wrote:
chris_blues wrote:I hope Robert doesn't mind my "hijacking"!!! But I think you should integrate this into your work. :)

Not at all. :) I will be happy to add your translation to fgo.

That's a relief! :) I was worried you'd be pissed off, by my messing up your code, without waiting for your confirmation...

erobo wrote:But I have some questions:
Whether word Flugzeugträger can be shorten to no more than eight letters? In current form it expands content of the window when aircraft carrier is selected, and it doesn't look good in my opinion. I must admit that I had the same problem with Polish translation. :)

Yes, I believe "Träger" would be enough for understanding. It's like you would say just "carrier" instead of "aircraft carrier".

erobo wrote:I'm planning to change name: Home directory, to more appropriate: Working directory. Should it be translated as Arbeitsverzeichnis?

Quite right! But quite long a word as well... :P

--------

And I've been thinking, yeah, as strange as it may seem!
Wouldn't you think it would be of help, putting the translations into an extra file? Like a file in the same directory as gfo.py named e.g. languages.txt . I believe this would (1) ease some obstacles to find the translations, and (2) translators wouldn't have to mess around in the programs code... Maybe some day there are more translations coming from around the world...

The button to select the parking position still says "none" instead of "keine" ..., when you click on the button it displays among the parkings also "keine" instead of "none", in other words, inside the rollup-menu its right, on the button itself it's not...

And of course, the save and quit button... :)

Here's what it looks like on my machine...

But anyway! Thanks for that nice little program, that makes my fgfs-experience way lighter than fgrun... ;)
chris_blues
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby erobo » Sat May 22, 2010 4:53 pm

Thanks a lot for your answer... and yes, your are right about putting translations into separate files. The main reason for doing this differently was my desire to learn as much as possible when writing this program - that is why I written very simple translation code myself rather than using existing (and well proven) solutions. :roll: But now, I guess it's time to learn how to do it the proper way. :)
Regarding parking position problem: I will look into it, as well as save and quit button dimensions...

Thank you,
Robert
erobo

Postby Jak_o_Shadows » Sun May 23, 2010 1:04 am

NIce program, thanks.
Jak_o_Shadows

Callsign: Jak_o_Flight

Postby chris_blues » Sun May 23, 2010 1:33 am

: o )

I'm glad you like it!

chris_blues
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby erobo » Tue May 25, 2010 5:31 pm

Hi all,

I'm pleased to inform that new version of the package (fgo-1-1.tar.gz) has been released. You may download it from the first post.
Major changes are:
  • Translation system has been rebuild. Translations are now stored in independent files in new locale directory. It is now easier to add new translations to the program. Please PM me if you would like to add new, or modify existing one. I will be happy to include it in the next release.
  • German translation added.
  • New entry box in Preferences window will let you specify the path to TerraSync executable file. If you are upgrading from previous release, please make sure you enter this path in order to use TerraSync.
Would like to thank chris_blues for his valid remarks and his help with this release.

Please let me know if you encounter any bugs.

Regards,
Robert

EDIT:
fgo-1-1.tar.gz package is now replaced by new, fgo-1-11.tar.gz release. It fixes two bugs found in previous version, and introduces Spanish translation (thanks to Canseco).
erobo

Postby screwbottle » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:42 pm

Hi Erobo

Just my 2 cents worth, as most have covered what I wanted to say. I have supplied a screen capture of your latest version 1.11 in action with all of my settings. I, like some posting here, also have Ubuntu 10.04-45 Lucid Lynx 64bit, which via Synaptics, only downloads the older version of FlightGear (v1.9.1), so I went the route of compiling and adding all prerequisites, to running FlightGear 2.0. But through plenty of head butting and endless frustration, I could not get the latest FGRUN (v1.5.2) to compile and run. FlightGear works perfectly, but being a little lazy sometimes, I don't always want to use a command line. So I went searching and found you little program, at v1.0. What a blessing, worked with no issues, and have just downloaded the latest v1.11.

Chris_Blues, the FGO does run from Nautilus, just change it's permissions (for group and others allow "execute"). You can see this from my screen dump, as well as the command line "python fgo.py" also works.

Otherwise Erobo, keep up you good work, and whatever improvements you want to add, or via our suggestions.

Cheers

P.S. Update, could not add the attachment as I quote "sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached" unquote
W7 Ult. x64 / Ubuntu 14.04, Core i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Asus Z87-Plus mobo, HD 7850 2GB graphics, 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ
500GB SATAIII (Boot), 2TB SATAIII (Data), 1TB SATAIII (Linux), 18x SATA DVDRW * 2 Opticals, 750W PSU
Zalman CNPS10X Sharks Fin Cooler
screwbottle

Callsign: Aceman / Screwbottle
Version: 3.0.0

Postby snipey » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:42 pm

i would like to help by translating the program but i can only open one of the two files in the LC_messages folder the .po one so my question is how do i alter the other one because when i select the new language nothing changes
snipey

Callsign: snipey

PreviousNext

Return to New features