Board index FlightGear Development New features

Simple FG GUI front-end for Linux

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Simple FG GUI front-end for Linux

Postby erobo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:51 pm

Quadunit404 wrote:...it seems to be looking in /home/tom/.fgfs/install/fgfs/bin/fgfs for libosgFX.so.66, which is in /home/tom/.fgfs/install/OpenSceneGraph/lib...

If you installed FG using download_and_compile.sh script, you may try to add this code into FGo's run script (between first and last line in "fgo" file), to tell FG where to look for locally installed libraries:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=path_to_PLIB:path_to_OSG:path_to_SimGear
Just replace path_to... text with actual path to given library. I'm not using download_and_compile.sh script, so I'm not 100% sure if it works. If not, you may try to change path to executable file in FGo's preferences window to point to run_fgfs.sh script rather then fgfs executable.

Hope it will help,
Robert
erobo

Postby Quadunit404 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:05 pm

That didn't help, but I found that the incorrect line is in the config file. I'll be fixing it now.

Update: Nope, that didn't help either. Apparently that's the path to the executable :?
Quadunit404

Postby erobo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Sorry to hear that... I'm out of ideas. :(
You may ask for help chris_blues. As I think, he is using FGo and download_and_compile.sh script without any problems.
erobo

Postby erobo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:27 pm

karla wrote:In your next update (which is obviously not urgent) you may consider adding more options to prompt people to set up their own FG starting conditions...

I'm not sure if it's worth to add new options into initial config. It is easy to overwhelm new user with multiple choices. But in other hand, it may be good idea to place there text like this:
# More information about FlightGear command line options can be found at this address:
# wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Command_Line_Options

What do you think?
erobo

Postby snipey » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:10 pm

it might be an idea to use tooltips to tell user about the function of certain buttons
snipey

Callsign: snipey
Version: GIT

Postby chris_blues » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:09 am

erobo wrote:Sorry to hear that... I'm out of ideas. :(
You may ask for help chris_blues. As I think, he is using FGo and download_and_compile.sh script without any problems.

I haven't been able to get it running again. I only wanted to update my installation, and I killed it all together... :( I'm getting the same error-messages, and I haven't found out how to fix it... Sorry, I don't know either...
I suspect, the GIT-repository isn't 100% right...

Cheers
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues

Postby chris_blues » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:40 pm

I have one solution! Look-a-here: http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7946&start=75 It's been nearly a week, and now I can fly again!!! :mrgreen:
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby erobo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:54 pm

snipey wrote:it might be an idea to use tooltips to tell user about the function of certain buttons

Although I don't think that introducing a help system to FGo will be my priority in near future - current interface (IMHO) is simple enough to not confuse average user, and all advanced settings in preference window are already covered in readme file - but additional onscreen messages could indeed facilitate use of more advanced settings in the future. Anyway, thank you for suggestion.
erobo

Postby ac001 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:47 am

ac001

Callsign: peteffs
Version: 2

Postby Gijs » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:50 pm

Hey erobe,

we noticed that you tell people to use mpserver02 in your readme. This won't be of much help to solve the problem with slow, overpopulated servers. Please use some of the others servers as example/default, or even better, link to the wiki article that explains what servers should be used.

Apart from that, I must say the the GUI looks very clean and useable. I would almost get Linux for it ;)

Thanks!
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby erobo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:15 pm

we noticed that you tell people to use mpserver02 in your readme. This won't be of much help to solve the problem with slow, overpopulated servers. Please use some of the others servers as example/default, or even better, link to the wiki article that explains what servers should be used.

Hi Gijs,

thank you for pointing this out. You're right, in the future release I'll remove mpserver02 from the example and will place link to wiki article instead.

Apart from that, I must say the the GUI looks very clean and useable. I would almost get Linux for it ;)

It's never too late to try out Linux ;)
But seriously...
Dependencies used by fgo are all cross-platform, they are available for Linux, Mac OS and Windows. Unfortunately I don't have access to other platforms, that is why I cannot test it, or provide any support. But if you (or somebody else) would like to port this software to other OS, please let me know. I'll be happy to provide any help in this task.

Regards,
Robert
erobo

Postby chris_blues » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:09 pm

I was just looking, if there were any updates to fgo!, and was shocked to see, there's no download-link whatsoever... :shock:

Did I just catch the point in time when you are updating your initial post, or did it really disappear? Maybe you haven't noticed?

Regards
chris
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby erobo » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:58 am

chris_blues wrote:...Did I just catch the point in time when you are updating your initial post, or did it really disappear?...

Nope, I don't have anything to do with that. Apparently attachments from this topic was deleted by someone else. And what's more, attachments are now disabled (at least for me) and I cannot add new ones anymore.

I will try to set up a website for fgo instead.

Regards,
Robert

UPDATE:
New website is now up and running. Look at the first post for the link.
erobo

Postby Brandano » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:16 am

Wonderful little application, and pretty good layout for a tkinter UI. I am just starting to fiddle with it, but in any case (and for future reference) if you use the download_and_compile.sh scripts, to get the resulting Flightgear environment to work you should tell Fgo! that the fgfs executable actually is run_fgfs.sh . This will set all the necessary env variables and pass all command line parameters. The same goes for terrasync etc.
Brandano

Postby FokkerCharlie » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:27 am

This is great!

Just discovered it while looking for a way to get FGRun going on Ubuntu, but this is perfect.

One little extra that you might consider putting in- a Terrasync scenery prefetch like FGR has?

Thanks!
Charlie
FokkerCharlie

Version: 2

PreviousNext

Return to New features