Board index FlightGear Development New features

FGComGui Now Available

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

FGComGui Now Available

Postby Tuxklok » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:22 pm

In a continued effort to improve fgcom and make it easier to use, I have been working on a simple gui front end for fgcom. The project lives on google code at http://code.google.com/p/fgcomgui.

There are pre-built packages for Windows on the Downloads tab, just unzip and run. Follow the Windows Installation Guide for detailed instructions.

For us Linux users, just grab the source from svn and build it. Follow the Linux Installation Guide for detailed instructions.

Also on the Downloads tab there is a patch for fgcom with some minor fixes and changes I made to the source. This fgcom binary in the windows bundle was built with this patch. Linux users should apply this patch for fgcomgui to work properly, and is a good idea even if you don't plan to use fgcomgui itself. Instructions for applying patch are in the Linux Installation Guide.

Further documentation on setup and use are available in fgcomgui from the Help menu, Help->Documentation.

latest screenshots (click for larger/better quality)
ImageImage
ImageImage

cheers!
Last edited by Tuxklok on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Re: FGComGui Now Available

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:12 am

Hi,

Nice App, the Echo Test went fine. I dont have time right now to test in-game, but I'm sure it'll work fine!
The only thing i wish was the command-line window would be hidden at all times.!

EDIT : One More thing, It would be better to hide the FGCom Gui to the taskbar when we press the minimize button, instead of the close button!
Fahim Imaduddin Dalvi
Tracker, Flight Gallery
Fahim Dalvi

Callsign: Fahim
Version: 2018.2.2

Postby Tuxklok » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:19 pm

The only thing i wish was the command-line window would be hidden at all times.!

Ah crap, that must be fgcom, I bet I totally forgot to compile it in windows mode. Is the command window shown when you start FGComGui, or only when you press start?

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:51 pm

Tuxklok wrote:

Ah crap, that must be fgcom, I bet I totally forgot to compile it in windows mode. Is the command window shown when you start FGComGui, or only when you press start?

Oh, thw commandline was started as soon as the GUI loads up, and it has NOTHING throughtout the program Run, the FGCom stuff comes up in the inbuilt GUI, so the commandline is just a useless black window :)
Fahim Imaduddin Dalvi
Tracker, Flight Gallery
Fahim Dalvi

Postby Tuxklok » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:57 pm

Interesting, guess I'll have to do some digging then.

Oh, and thanks for testing!

cheers!

Tuxklok

Postby Tuxklok » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:50 pm

New build up now which should (hopefully) get rid of the command window.

http://fgcomgui.googlecode.com/files/fgcomgui-win32-bundle-08252009.zip

Tuxklok

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:25 am

Hi,

Great, the Command Line is Gone!

Thanks for your effort!
Fahim Imaduddin Dalvi
Tracker, Flight Gallery
Fahim Dalvi

Postby Tuxklok » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:03 pm

Great! Thanks again for trying it out!

About the minimize to system tray(notification area in windows speak), I'll adjust the behavior for the windows platform soon. Developing on Linux I naturally followed the normal convention there, but I see now that the windows guidelines are slightly different.

cheers!

Tuxklok

Postby BrianVanSpeybroeck » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:43 pm

Slowly for us idiots now... :wink: :lol:

We install this GUI by extracting the .zip file into our FlightGear folder...right?

Do we need to delete/remove the FGCOM stuff we installed prior to this or can it all just stay there and this build/version over rides it?

Thanks in advance! I'm having a ball with FGCOM now that I can use it and don't wanna F it up... :oops:
Done!
BrianVanSpeybroeck

Postby Tuxklok » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:01 pm

Unzip the package anywhere you wish. After unzipping you should have the folder containing all the files, just run FGComGui.exe to start. You can right click the exe and make a shortcut and put it on your desktop if you want.

cheers

Tuxklok

Postby BrianVanSpeybroeck » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:09 pm

Thanks!

I give it a whirl this evening. :D
Done!
BrianVanSpeybroeck

Postby BrianVanSpeybroeck » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:08 pm

Loaded up the GUI and tested FGCOM using it. Works OK most of the time...there is something weird going on at KORD. None of the KORD frequencies work. They all say "call rejected by remote" with your GUI setup and with Nic's build as well.

The Midway frequencies work with Nic's build but not with the GUI at KORD. With the GUI I get the message "process finished with code 62097" on 118.7 and 119.45. With Nic's build they run fine...no problems. 122.75 seems to work world wide at this time and I have used it a bit last night and today.

I'll continue testing it as I can run 2 versions at this time. The minimizing to the tray when "X" is selected in annoying but not devastating. Usually when I tell a GUI "X" I want it to close. If I want it minimized then I use "-" But it looks nice and functioned flawlessly at KSFO, KJFK and LOWI. Echo test is awesome. Thanks for your hard work. I'm spreading the word and pushing FGCOM like warm blueberry muffins now.

MMmmmm...muffins. :shock: :lol:
Done!
BrianVanSpeybroeck

Postby Tuxklok » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:16 am

Loaded up the GUI and tested FGCOM using it. Works OK most of the time...there is something weird going on at KORD. None of the KORD frequencies work. They all say "call rejected by remote" with your GUI setup and with Nic's build as well.

Not all airport and nav frequencies are covered by fgcom, that's normal.

The Midway frequencies work with Nic's build but not with the GUI at KORD.

What are Midway frequencies....and I thought you just said neither worked at KORD? :?

With the GUI I get the message "process finished with code 62097"

Looks like you were right jomo. :D Those messages were mostly for testing and should have been removed, just ignore them completely, nothing abnormal at all. Anyway, you should only get such a message when you stop fgcom...are you saying fgcom stopped without you pressing the stop button?

The minimizing to the tray when "X" is selected in annoying but not devastating..,. Usually when I tell a GUI "X" I want it to close. If I want it minimized then I use "-"

Already addressed above, and being worked on to more closely follow user interface guidelines for each platform. Anyway, the window does close no? Just not the application...since it's running in the notification area/system tray... ;)

Also, it was my understanding that Nic built his version from same source code as me, so there should be no differences in functionality at all...

Tuxklok

Postby BrianVanSpeybroeck » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:39 am

I guess I'm not explaining it correctly...there are a number of different airports com frequencies available (within range) at KORD. None of the frequencies assigned to KORD (there are 5 of them) work on either build/system. It just says "call rejected by remote". If it's normal...no big deal. 122.750 works fine.

The frequencies assigned to Midway are 118.7 and 119.45 and they are in range and work fine at KORD with Nic's build. With the GUI they do not function and the message is "process finished with code 62079"...there is no response. It does not mute the speakers and open the mic and it doesn't open the mic and mute the speakers when the PTT bar is pressed. I'll test it again later. Maybe a glitch?
Done!
BrianVanSpeybroeck

Postby Tuxklok » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:03 am

With the GUI they do not function and the message is "process finished with code 62079"...there is no response.

You should only get the "process finished" message when fgcom is finished, which should only happen when you press the stop button. Are you saying fgcom was running, and you got this message without having pressed the stop button?

Tuxklok

Next

Return to New features