Board index FlightGear Development New features

AI & MP Dogfighting now working! Bombable ships, aircraft...

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: AI & MP Dogfighting now working! Bombable ships, aircraft...

Postby 2011futuremarine » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:41 pm

Thanks flug, this is really a great thing you've made! :D One thing I've noticed however, that with the sopwith camel, when you fire, so much of the time it fires off the the right or left, and not straight, even when flying straight :) Other than that, this is really a swell thing! :D
Aircraft: primarily military
2011futuremarine

Callsign: Dodger4

Postby flug » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:22 pm

aok1 wrote:* All damage-smoke stays black, there is no fire/coloured smoke (as i saw in the screenshot)

I found the problem/bug that made the flames disappear. So it will be fixed in the next release. (Edit: Fixed in the bombable3h release now available.)

Keep in mind there are four types of smoke you see:

1. Contrails or exhaust smoke.

2. Hits from armament. Note that Flightgear's "hit" cylinder is quite large and so some of these hits you see registering visually will actually result in little or no damage to the vehicle (the closer to the center the more damage and the further out, the less).

3. Damaged engine smoke (this happens if a round happens to strike the engine; the probability of this happening can be set in each aircraft's bombable setup file). For now this is a purely visual effect and has no effect on the aircraft's operation.

Sometimes you'll get damaged engine smoke after only a few rounds, sometimes after a lot of rounds, sometimes never.

4. Fire. This happens when the aircraft is mostly dead/damaged (also settable in the aircraft's setup file). Fire gradually adds more damage points to the vehicle/aircraft and when the aircraft reaches 100% damage then it will start to lose power & eventually crash.

However note that there is a chance the fire will go out (or be put out by fire suppression systems or the like) so even damaging an aircraft until it is on fire is not a *guarantee* that it will actually go down. If the fire goes out you will see the smoke stop. To finish off this aircraft you will have to hit it again with more rounds.

So one thing that **could** be happening is you are only damaging the vehicle until you get damaged engine smoke and not continuing until actual Fire.

Once it is on fire (which will eventually take it to 100% damage) or reaches 100% damage through hits, it will eventually lose altitude & speed and crash.
Last edited by flug on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flug

Postby flug » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:30 pm

2011futuremarine wrote:Thanks flug, this is really a great thing you've made! :D One thing I've noticed however, that with the sopwith camel, when you fire, so much of the time it fires off the the right or left, and not straight, even when flying straight :) Other than that, this is really a swell thing! :D

That's why I keep mentioning that you need to fly the YASim version of the Sopwith Camel only.

The UIUC version and the larcsim version both have this problem, where the bullets fly off at odd and unpredictable angles.

I'm not sure what is the cause of this but it must be something within FlightGear itself as all the models, submodels, and other settings are exactly the same in the YASim, UIUC, and larcsim versions of the Camel yet the YASim works just fine while both the UIUC and larcsim guns shoot off at odd angles.

For now, just use the YASim Camel and avoid the UIUC and larcsim Camels if shooting things is your objective.
flug

Postby 2011futuremarine » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:36 am

Thanks must have missed that :) Thanks again for all your work on this, its fabulous :D
2011futuremarine

Re: AI Dogfighting--new download w/bombable ships, aircraft, etc

Postby flug » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:10 pm

2011futuremarine wrote:Is there any place that the SPAD is downloadable for v1.9.1? thanks :)

Both the SPAD and the Fokker DR 1 Triplane are included in the new ver. 3h I just uploaded. So you can use either of those (or the Sopwith Camel YASim version) for either AI scenarios or in MP dogfights.

That new version is here:

http://brenthugh.com/flightgear/bombable3h.zip
flug

Postby F22-killed-you » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:22 pm

Unfortunately i'm not on my FG computer so I can't try anythign out right now :( But before I download, i have a question, when you said it will overwrite the airplane data, do you mean it's gonna put your airplane in and delete the other one or add files? The second option would mean having to install the planes first and then being able to use them. Because I have a Sopwith Camel but none of the other ones :wink:

Swindel

Ps: Sorry if thats ^ too cofusing
Google it!
Results 1 - 10 of about 351,000 for MSFS. (0.41 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 6,480,000 for FlightGear. (0.07 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 137,000 for Flightprosim. (0.31 seconds)
F22-killed-you

Postby 2011futuremarine » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:14 pm

it'll just replace/add the sopwith camel, Dr. 1, and SPAD VII. It won't do anything harmful :D
2011futuremarine

Postby Caldon » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:25 am

Flug, Well done. I'm a noob (among other things but only became aware of FG within the last week), and a lowly iMac, intel duo core (FG looks great on my 24 " screen), Logitech joystick user. I got FG installed and running easily. I'm now interested in developing an aircraft for FG and have acquired the necessary programs and tools..... until I came across your handy work, so now I'm sidetracked a bit. I have read the "read me"s, but I don't see specifics for "Mac" installs. I've tried two methods with errors. Would you provide any hints as to getting your beta version up and running on an iMac? Also, is there a difference (besides names) between the "bombable3h" and the "bombable3h-1" folders that I've ended up with? Thank you.............O.K...duh!...I got it....
Last edited by Caldon on Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Caldon

Postby redneck » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:36 am

So, this is that awesome bombable script thing. Hmm, it seems better than what I saw on aok1's vid. I'm not sure if I want to get this just yet. I want to be sure that I can safely go back to my stable version of FG if I have any problems. Well, I know I can, but it could be time-consuming. Looks like it could be a lot of fun.
For use with mp, if I understand correctly, the other pilot will know when they have had their damage maxed out. Or, maybe I misunderstood. If the attacker sees that the defender has their damage maxed out, but the defender doesn't know, I would suggest adding some code that would use mp chat to automatically notify the defender of when they are taking damage, and who scores the kill shot.
If you have actually gotten beyond that mp issue, and the engines shut off when the defender has their damage maxed out, that's totally awesome. Sure I can't blow anyone up yet before they reach the ground, but if I can actually cause someone to experience an engine failure, that's just great. Good work.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby F22-killed-you » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:56 am

Hey Flug, Just a little idea for an explosion effect, the aircraft F-4J from Dave Culp's hangar, leaves three trails behind (red and white), and when you crash it makes it look like a massive explosion! I don't know if this is meant to be or is a glitch... BUT it would be maybe a good thing for this project, if you stop the explosion after a while, because the f4s, just keeps going and kills your fps. :lol:

Swindel
Google it!
F22-killed-you

Postby redneck » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:06 am

Perhaps, what you speak of isn't all that different from having the plane release a large ball of smoke.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby F22-killed-you » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:11 am

Nope, if you've ever crashed the f4J, which is very easy to crash :oops: , it looks like a really big fireball! When i'm on my FG computer i'll post a screenie.

Swindel
Google it!
F22-killed-you

Postby mdsmith » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:17 pm

Uhh, With the Camel this works awesomely but with the A-10 the weapons do no damage (guns or bombs) and my terminal doesn't report it loading bombable.
mdsmith
Retired

Postby GeneralScott » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:00 pm

I have a mac, and I can't seem to get this working. :oops: I downloaded the newest Bombable3h file and put the missions into data/AI. I also put the AI aircraft/cars/fire into data/AI/Aircraft and the Nasal stuff into the nasal folder (and the player aircraft into the Aircraft folder). Everything seems to be working when I try to fly the san francisco ferry invasion in a A-10, but once i get into the air off runway 01L/01R there are no ferries to blow up I know cause I flew around for 45 minutes looking until I kamikazeeid into the water). :cry: I tried some other easy missions and still couldnt find anything. The Bombable options tab thing is on my upper bar thing and everything, I just can't ge a mission working. :evil: . I got a feeling I'm missing something really stupid, like, say, starting a mission. Can someone PLEASE :cry: give me a total runthrough of the process from installation to blasting ferries? (and yes, I DID read that readme file.) If noone answers, I don't blame them. But I will be pretty darn sad and disapointed.
GeneralScott

Postby F22-killed-you » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:04 pm

GeneralScott wrote:I have a mac, and I can't seem to get this working. :oops: I downloaded the newest Bombable3h file and put the missions into data/AI. I also put the AI aircraft/cars/fire into data/AI/Aircraft and the Nasal stuff into the nasal folder (and the player aircraft into the Aircraft folder). Everything seems to be working when I try to fly the san francisco ferry invasion in a A-10, but once i get into the air off runway 01L/01R there are no ferries to blow up I know cause I flew around for 45 minutes looking until I kamikazeeid into the water). :cry: I tried some other easy missions and still couldnt find anything. The Bombable options tab thing is on my upper bar thing and everything, I just can't ge a mission working. :evil: . I got a feeling I'm missing something really stupid, like, say, starting a mission. Can someone PLEASE :cry: give me a total runthrough of the process from installation to blasting ferries? (and yes, I DID read that readme file.) If noone answers, I don't blame them. But I will be pretty darn sad and disapointed.

Not sure if you're still around but, do you use a command line? If yes, make sure you have:

Code: Select all
fgfs --aircraft=A-10 --ai-scenario=

Then put the name of the scenario you want to use.

If you are using the ferry scenario, the boats will appear in a formation behind runway 28R in KSFO.

Swindel
Google it!
F22-killed-you

PreviousNext

Return to New features