Board index FlightGear Development New features

AI & MP Dogfighting now working! Bombable ships, aircraft...

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: AI & MP Dogfighting now working! Bombable ships, aircraf

Postby jobst1303 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:30 am

:?: sound problem

After installing Bombable, I have no sound in FG. The only sound that works is the ATC chatter, strangely. When I remove "Nasal/bombable.nas", sound comes back.
Anyone knows how to fix this?

Besides, some of the planes seem to be corrupted. When loading, some different type of plane is displayed on the splashscreen, and then FG crashes and returns to the launch program. Those planes that do load behave strangely: they won't take off. When placed in the air, they fly normaly though.

(I have Windows XP and a Creative Soundblaster soundcard.)
jobst1303

Postby flug » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:41 am

I've fixed the problems Bombable had working together with Flightgear 2.4.0. Here is the new, improved version (still somewhat beta-ish, as 2.4.0 changes AI aircraft behavior somewhat):

http://brenthugh.com/flightgear/bombable4-0.zip

If you are still on FG 1.9 or earlier I suggest using the old version:

http://brenthugh.com/flightgear/bombable3p.zip
flug

Postby Boeing » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:28 pm

Hi does bombable have the ability to destroy buildings? Also it would be nice to have a scenario where you can have some tank to tank battle
Won't be doing much anymore....
Boeing

Callsign: Boeing, MIA0029
Version: 24

Postby xiii » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:58 pm

flug wrote in Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:41 am:I've fixed the problems Bombable had working together with Flightgear 2.4.0. Here is the new, improved version (still somewhat beta-ish, as 2.4.0 changes AI aircraft behavior somewhat):

Hi Flug, happy to see you coming with new fixes and changes.
I just had a very quick look at bombable.nas 4.0 and saw that you worked on test_impact(), thanks! I hope to have time next weekend to test and (certify) the AIM-9 against some random victims.

Alexis
If the engines are Pratt and Whitney, the seats best be Martin Baker
xiii

Postby flug » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:12 am

I've fixed more Bombable/FG 2.4.0 problems and it is now working pretty well:

http://brenthugh.com/flightgear/bombable4-2.zip

FG 2.4.0 introduced some nasty new problems (bugs, I guess you might call them) but I've found workarounds for or ways to deal with most of them.

If there are still bugs in Bombable 4.2 vs 3p, they are more likely just minor clean-up items, so it is definitely still a bit beta-ish in that sense.

Please do let me know about any problems, though! As a reply on this forum is best.

The strangest thing is that AI objects in scenarios randomly re-initialize themselves every couple of minutes, without un-initializing themselves first, as they are supposed to. Then when they do re-initialize, sometimes they re-incarnate as some weird, random node--like one of the controls from a joystick or something else completely unrelated.

That appears to be a FG bug, but I found a way to reduce the impact on Bombable.

Also, I re-tooled the damage impact code (the test_impact function) and set it up for even better/more thorough revision later.

All together, if you gave up on Bombable with FG 2.XX because it was making FG crash, it's about time to try Bombable again--all those nasty bugs have been squashed now.
flug

Postby Canseco » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:56 am

I tested it with last Git version and works without problems.

Thx for the update.
System specs:
AMD Ahtlon 64 X2 Dual Core 2.2 GHz, ASUS M2N4-SLI,3 GB DDR2 800 MHz
Nvidia GT240 1GB 1440x900, 25-30 fps
Canseco

Callsign: Canseco
Version: Git

Postby flug » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:37 am

Canseco wrote in Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:56 am:I tested it with last Git version and works without problems.

Thx for the update.

Thanks for letting me know!
flug

Bombable 4.3 released, many improvements, working well w/ FG

Postby flug » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:45 am

I just uploaded a new and much-improved version of Bombable--version 4.3:

http://brenthugh.com/flightgear/bombable4-3.zip

This version has many improvements and is generally working much, much better under FG 2.4.0--better, in fact, than it ever did under FG 1.9 or earlier versions.

Here is the summary from the What's New file:

* Multiplayer dogfighting is now working in FG 2.4.0. (It broke sometime in the FG 2.X.X. series.) Use one of the MP-dogfighting- enabled planes included in the packet (Sopwith Camel-Bombable/Yasim, SPAD VII-Bombable, or FKDR1-Bombable/JSB, or A6M2-Bombable/YASim--use the versions marked as Guns/Bombable, not the default FG installs) and make sure your opponent does the same--you will both be able to shoot and damage each other, see damage reports, etc.

* Weapons on AI aircraft--which will shoot at you as you attack them--can now be placed in different locations and aimed in different directions.

In combat, they will shoot you if that location/direction is lined up with you. The AI B-17 Bomber included in the package will shoot at you from the rear; the M-1 tank will shoot towards the front at about a 45 degree angle, Jeep will shoot forwards and upwards, Ferries will shoot forward orbackwards, etc.

The result is a far more realistic experience. Shooting bombers used to be like shooting fish in a barrel--now between the bombers shooting at you and the fighter planes coming in from high cover,you're lucky to score a few small hits and get out of there alive . . .

* The AI Weapons system was generally improved and weapon strength, direction, size, location, and effectiveness can be specified in the XML file for each AI aircraft type. (If you're creating your own Bombable-enable aircraft, just add weapons specs in the WEAPONS section of AI aircraft; seeenclosed AI/Aircraft files for examples.)

* Generally tweaked AI aircraft, attack & weapons routines, and AI scenarios for a better, more realistic experience. In particular, try:

- MarinCountyWWIIBombersWithCover.xml (fly A6M2-Bombable/YASim)
- MarinCountyCamelInvasion1-Simple.xml (fly Sopwith Camel-Bombable/YASim)

* Again worked on the problem of getting AI aircraft to climb and dive more realistically instead of sedately. The AI aircraft are far more realistic/active in the vertical direction now. The AI aircraft behavior has been taken about as far as possible without using a completely different approach (far more integration with FG's underlying AI traffic system--that's the next logical step).

* Bombable no longer overwrites existing aircraft or anything else in FG's installation. It will add new aircraft and a few other Bombable-specific files. All new/added aircraft have the suffix -Bombable. Bombable will overwrite or replace things from its own previous installation, but no other files.

Generally when flying Bombable's AI scenarios or flying over multiplayer with another person using Bombable, your best experience will be to use one of the aircraft provided (and identifiable bythe -Bombable extension) or another aircraft specifically set up to use Bombable's capabilities.

Download it here:

http://brenthugh.com/flightgear/bombable4-3.zip
flug

Postby DutchPilotMitchell » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:55 pm

hah.... darn it! The Ai models don't spawn with me with the SanFranWartHogInvasion 1 and two, the a-10's don't spawn. I've had this problem before, but I don't know what is causing this, And I installed everything to the correct place. I hate computers :P they make me sometimes so angry.
Proud to be Dutch.
DutchPilotMitchell

Callsign: mitchel
Version: 22

Postby Boeing » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:03 pm

The A6M2 in your package speeds way to slow! And I like how it is more challenging to stay alive :mrgreen: Also as a suggestion can you add tracers to AI weapons?
And the San fran A-10 scenario's don't work
Boeing

Postby flug » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:29 am

DutchPilotMitchell wrote in Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:55 pm:hah.... darn it! The Ai models don't spawn with me with the SanFranWartHogInvasion 1 and two, the a-10's don't spawn. I've had this problem before, but I don't know what is causing this, And I installed everything to the correct place. I hate computers :P they make me sometimes so angry.

It might be because you have the AI system turned off? That is a common recommendation to improve framerate.

If you're using FGRun, look under the "Advanced" options--one of them disables the AI system.

Or check out your command line carefully--for something like: --disable-ai-traffic

Edit/update: It turns out this was (mostly?) because of problems in directory names vs scenario files. Some have -bombable and some have -Bombable. This should be (mostly) fixed in forthcoming ver 4.4.
Last edited by flug on Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flug

Postby Canseco » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:53 pm

This is what log says:

Failed to load model: Model file not found: '../../../../Aircraft/A-10/Models/A10-004-015l2.ac'
from:/home/canseco/Flightgear-0.9/data/fgdata/AI/Aircraft/A-10-bombable/Models/A-10.xml

On the A-10 folder A10-004-015l2.ac doesn't exist but A10-004-015l3.ac is present.

I changed the line on the xml AI file and it works.
System specs:
AMD Ahtlon 64 X2 Dual Core 2.2 GHz, ASUS M2N4-SLI,3 GB DDR2 800 MHz
Nvidia GT240 1GB 1440x900, 25-30 fps
Canseco

Callsign: Canseco
Version: Git

Postby DutchPilotMitchell » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:49 pm

Great, A-10 scenario's work, but the ferry scenario's don't work. No offense but, do you actually test the scenario's before releasing them?

Code: Select all
Processing command line arguments
GraphicsWindowCarbon::grabFocusIfPointerInWindow: not implemented
      Property systems/crash-detect/crashed is already defined.
Bombable (ver. 4.3) - bombable & fire particle effects loaded
loading scenario 'eisenhower_demo'
loading scenario 'nimitz_demo'
loading scenario 'sanantonio_demo'
loading scenario 'vinson_demo'
getting flightplan: Cruise-1
AIShip: Cruise-1 initializing waypoints
AIShip: Cruise-1 done initialising waypoints 0
loading scenario 'SanFranBayFerryInvasion'
creating 3D noise texture... DONE
osgDB ac3d reader: could not parse texture coords while reading object "Mesh1 Component_1_1 M" setting to (0,0)
osgDB ac3d reader: could not parse texture coords while reading object "Mesh2 Component_1_2 M" setting to (0,0)
osgDB ac3d reader: could not parse texture coords while reading object "Mesh3 Component_1_3 M" setting to (0,0)
osgDB ac3d reader: could not parse texture coords while reading object "Mesh4 Component_1_4 M" setting to (0,0)
osgDB ac3d reader: could not parse texture coords while reading object "Mesh5 Component_1_5 M" setting to (0,0)
osgDB ac3d reader: could not parse texture coords while reading object "Mesh6 Component_1_6 M" setting to (0,0)
osgDB ac3d reader: could not parse texture coords while reading object "Mesh7 Component_1_7 M" setting to (0,0)
Loading ferry /ai/models/ship[1]
Nasal runtime error: No such member: attacks
  at /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/Nasal/bombable.nas, line 3996
  called from: /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/AI/Aircraft/Ferry-bombable/FerryBoat1.ac, line 144
  called from: /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/AI/Aircraft/Ferry-bombable/FerryBoat1.ac, line 171
Loading ferry /ai/models/ship[2]
  at /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/Nasal/bombable.nas, line 3996
  called from: /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/AI/Aircraft/Ferry-bombable/FerryBoat1.ac, line 146
  called from: /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/AI/Aircraft/Ferry-bombable/FerryBoat1.ac, line 172
Loading ferry /ai/models/ship[3]
  called from: /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/AI/Aircraft/Ferry-bombable/FerryBoat1.ac, line 144
  called from: /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/AI/Aircraft/Ferry-bombable/FerryBoat1.ac, line 171
Loading ferry /ai/models/ship[4]
  called from: /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/AI/Aircraft/Ferry-bombable/FerryBoat1.ac, line 146
  called from: /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/AI/Aircraft/Ferry-bombable/FerryBoat1.ac, line 172
Loading ferry /ai/models/ship[5]
mouse down button=1
mouse up   button=1
mouse down button=1
mouse up   button=1
mouse down button=1
mouse up   button=1
mouse down button=1
mouse up   button=1
mouse down button=1
mouse up   button=1
mouse down button=1
mouse up   button=1
mouse down button=1
mouse up   button=1
mouse down button=1
mouse up   button=1
mouse down button=1
mouse up   button=1
mouse down button=1
mouse up   button=1
mouse down button=1
mouse up   button=1
mouse down button=1
mouse up   button=1
mouse down button=1
mouse up   button=1
mouse down button=1
mouse up   button=1
mouse down button=1
mouse up   button=1
Loading ferry /ai/models/ship[4]
Nasal runtime error: non-objects have no members
  at /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/Nasal/bombable.nas, line 4233
  called from: /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/AI/Aircraft/Ferry-bombable/FerryBoat1.ac, line 153
Loading ferry /ai/models/ship[3]
  at /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/Nasal/bombable.nas, line 4233
  called from: /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/AI/Aircraft/Ferry-bombable/FerryBoat1.ac, line 151
Loading ferry /ai/models/ship[2]
  called from: /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/AI/Aircraft/Ferry-bombable/FerryBoat1.ac, line 153
Loading ferry /ai/models/ship[1]
  called from: /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/AI/Aircraft/Ferry-bombable/FerryBoat1.ac, line 151
osgDB ac3d reader: could not parse texture coords while reading object "Mesh1 Component_1_1 M" setting to (0,0)
osgDB ac3d reader: could not parse texture coords while reading object "Mesh2 Component_1_2 M" setting to (0,0)
osgDB ac3d reader: could not parse texture coords while reading object "Mesh3 Component_1_3 M" setting to (0,0)
osgDB ac3d reader: could not parse texture coords while reading object "Mesh4 Component_1_4 M" setting to (0,0)
osgDB ac3d reader: could not parse texture coords while reading object "Mesh5 Component_1_5 M" setting to (0,0)
osgDB ac3d reader: could not parse texture coords while reading object "Mesh6 Component_1_6 M" setting to (0,0)
osgDB ac3d reader: could not parse texture coords while reading object "Mesh7 Component_1_7 M" setting to (0,0)
Loading ferry /ai/models/ship[5]
Unload ferry.
Nasal runtime error: bad/missing argument to contains()
  at /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/Nasal/bombable.nas, line 4482
  called from: __model18, line 13
Unload ferry.
  at /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/Nasal/bombable.nas, line 4482
  called from: __model17, line 13
Unload ferry.
  called from: __model16, line 13
Unload ferry.
  called from: __model15, line 13
Unload ferry.
  called from: __model22, line 13
Proud to be Dutch.
DutchPilotMitchell

Callsign: mitchel
Version: 22

Postby Kabuki » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:42 am

DutchPilotMitchell wrote in Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:49 pm:Great, A-10 scenario's work, but the ferry scenario's don't work. No offense but, do you actually test the scenario's before releasing them?

No offense, but why don't you help? The new Bombable package definitely works, and works quite well IMHO -- but definitely there are issues with some of the
scenarios. To be fair, some (most?) of those scenarios don't work, did not work, before installing the new bombable package.

Clearly, the AI directory is a bloody mess. There are scenarios that call for models that don't exist, models that call for components that don't exist, "extreme"
relative paths, assumptions left and right.

I'm going through the scenarios one by one, and if they don't work, I'm moving them, and copying any error messages I find into the scenarios's description
text.

Testing is drudgery, and it is considered poor practice for programmers to test their own work. Shucks, I'm grateful for the work done -- bombable DOES work!
I would not be so presumptious to criticize the programmer for creating something that fails because of pre-existing issues.

Let's clean up that AI directory!
This is a family-friendly saloon. No talk stink.
Kabuki

Location: Usually on the ground, always in the sky, except when underwater.
Callsign: Kabuki
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Boeing » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:03 pm

Hey um I want to have to TBM torpedo bomber bomb-able how do I do that?
Boeing

PreviousNext

Return to New features