Board index FlightGear Development New features

AI & MP Dogfighting now working! Bombable ships, aircraft...

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: AI & MP Dogfighting now working! Bombable ships, aircraf

Postby flug » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:24 am

Vodoun da Vinci wrote in Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:12 pm:I'll be all over this Bad Boy tonight when I get off work! :D

I'm assuming we just install it over the top of the existing Bombable as in the past.....right? I'm running Windows 7. We'll see if I still have issues when I load up the new version. Thanks again in advance!

VooDoo

Yes, just unzip into FG/data and replace everything, as in the past.
flug

Postby Vodoun da Vinci » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:03 pm

Awesome! It's all up and running and I have smoke and contrails for tracking....thanks for the suggestion of using the Equipment Map as this is a very good way of finding 'Bots. :D

I loaded up the FW-190 Scenario and a "SU-37 Flankers over KSFO" scenario and managed to damage a few Flankers.....even managed to smoke one.

Very challenging this version. Might take me a while to get up some decent movies of the action but it will happen. First I need guns on my Spitfire IX and I'll be working on that this weekend. Thanks again, Flug. An excellent contribution for those of us who love Aerial Combat and FGFS. I can't wait to set up a couple of aircraft and test the MP Bombable.

VooDoo
FGFS version 2.4.0 on Windows 7
Primarily Flying Warbirds, Jet and Prop - Visit: http://www.fguk.eu
VooDoo's FGFS/FGUK Movies!: http://www.youtube.com/user/VooDoodaVinci?feature=mhee
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
A. Einstein
Vodoun da Vinci
Retired

Postby DutchPilotMitchell » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:36 pm

Works like a charm, the only function I miss is a ''repair'' button when landed, and I only have to get shot one time and I'm already dead? *it is on easy settings*
oh, I also laughed my pants off when I saw the call sign of this guy:

Also, would't it be that if you shoot an airplane down, a parachute drops out? I've seen this in a WWII fighter game called IL2 Sturmovik, and it looks like a cool feature. What do you think?
Proud to be Dutch.
DutchPilotMitchell

Callsign: mitchel
Version: 22

Postby flug » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:46 am

DutchPilotMitchell wrote in Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:36 pm:Works like a charm, the only function I miss is a ''repair'' button when landed, and I only have to get shot one time and I'm already dead? *it is on easy settings*
oh, I also laughed my pants off when I saw the call sign of this guy:

Also, would't it be that if you shoot an airplane down, a parachute drops out? I've seen this in a WWII fighter game called IL2 Sturmovik, and it looks like a cool feature. What do you think?

I think this could be done pretty easily with the particle system. Maybe in a future version . . .
flug

Postby Aeolus » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:59 pm

I use 'Linux Debian Wheezy', the contrails, smoke and fire are now working great, must have been the upper/lower case thing.
For your info, I noticed when I select File -> Reset two more Bombable menus are added to the main menu.

Thanks for a brilliant package flug.
Aeolus

Postby Boeing » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:44 pm

Hey I'm I don;t know much about bombable but is it that the aircraft's survivability depends on it's armor, like the F6F will be less likely to be shot down and the Zero more likely.
Also maybe we can make it an instant blow up if you hit someones fuel tank. (tail rips off, engine separates from plane etc.)
Won't be doing much anymore....
Boeing

Callsign: Boeing, MIA0029
Version: 24

Postby skyop » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:37 pm

Boeing wrote in Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:44 pm:Also maybe we can make it an instant blow up if you hit someones fuel tank. (tail rips off, engine separates from plane etc.)

Fuel tanks don't blow up if you hit them with a gun. The MythBusters did an episode on that. Also, if you want to model separating components, you have to do a whole lot of magic math and nasal, adding way too much unnecessary complexity - and this must be done in the aircraft's files, not through bombable. So it's not really practical.
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby Boeing » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:45 am

Oh in Dogfights there where alot of planes blowing up
Boeing

Postby Hooray » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:26 am

skyop wrote in Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:37 pm:
Boeing wrote in Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:44 pm:Also maybe we can make it an instant blow up if you hit someones fuel tank. (tail rips off, engine separates from plane etc.)

Fuel tanks don't blow up if you hit them with a gun. The MythBusters did an episode on that.

Also saw that one, but they were shooting at fuel tanks from a car (i.e. gasoline) , not at kerosene/Jet A/1 tanks.
Besides, there's surely a significant difference between a portable firearm (gun/rifle) and a machine gun mounted on an airplane.

It is however very easy to ask them to check this: http://community.discovery.com/eve/foru ... 2991937776 :lol:
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby flug » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:51 am

Aeolus wrote in Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:59 pm:I use 'Linux Debian Wheezy', the contrails, smoke and fire are now working great, must have been the upper/lower case thing.
For your info, I noticed when I select File -> Reset two more Bombable menus are added to the main menu.

Thanks for a brilliant package flug.

Thanks for letting me know--I think I know why, and it should be fixed in the next update.
flug

Postby DutchPilotMitchell » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:16 am

This is all very hard stuff to do, and I wish I could help. I am trying to search something I could help with, I am going to try something with the parachutes. Here's the video that inspired me, the game is called IL2 Cliffs of Dover. It's an amazing WWII fighter/bomber game and I wish I had a good windows computer :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhxbknza ... 3w&index=5
Proud to be Dutch.
DutchPilotMitchell

Callsign: mitchel
Version: 22

Postby Vodoun da Vinci » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:59 pm

I have managed to get the props turning on my AI FW-190's thanks to a .pdf gievn to me by Gooneybird some time ago...so, I am making some progress now. No additional movies/clips yet but flew this morning against them in the Spitfire with real/local weather enabled. :shock:

Wow...it's beautiful and scary.

Still tweaking Bombable settings to get the kind of aggressioon the attack by the AI 'Bots and it's coming along. I did plow up what I think is a bug in that if I try and set logo or liveries in the Spitfire it crashes the session instantly...seems to be confined to this aircraft only.

I checked the black box but didn't see the problem. It is consistent however. Small deal. I'll play with it more and see if I can figure out why.

VooDoo
FGFS version 2.4.0 on Windows 7
Primarily Flying Warbirds, Jet and Prop - Visit: http://www.fguk.eu
VooDoo's FGFS/FGUK Movies!: http://www.youtube.com/user/VooDoodaVinci?feature=mhee
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
A. Einstein
Vodoun da Vinci
Retired

Postby Boeing » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:04 pm

MAJOR BUG REPORT

The livery select in all planes don't work anymore. FG just quits
Boeing