Board index FlightGear Development New features

AI & MP Dogfighting now working! Bombable ships, aircraft...

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: AI & MP Dogfighting now working! Bombable ships, aircraf

Postby Aeolus » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:53 am

I have FG 2.4 installed from git on Debian Wheezy and can't get Bombable 4.3 working.
The Ferries don't load,
the Warthogs try but fail with 'Models/A10-004-015l2.ac' error and
the Cessna’s load then unload.

I tried installing on Debian Squeeze and the Ferries and Cessna’s work, but same problem with Warthogs.
I previously had FG 1.9.1 and Bombable 3o working well on Debian Squeeze.
Aeolus

Postby Kabuki » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:27 am

Aeolus wrote in Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:53 am:I have FG 2.4 installed from git on Debian Wheezy and can't get Bombable 4.3 working.
The Ferries don't load,
the Warthogs try but fail with 'Models/A10-004-015l2.ac' error and
the Cessna’s load then unload.

I tried installing on Debian Squeeze and the Ferries and Cessna’s work, but same problem with Warthogs.
I previously had FG 1.9.1 and Bombable 3o working well on Debian Squeeze.

Bombable works.

Many of the scenarios are broken. I've been saying we need to clean up the AI directory and get the broken stuff either fixed, or out of there.

Try the marincountyzeroinvasion.
This is a family-friendly saloon. No talk stink.
Kabuki

Location: Usually on the ground, always in the sky, except when underwater.
Callsign: Kabuki
Version: 3.0.0

Postby flug » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:14 pm

DutchPilotMitchell wrote in Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:49 pm:Great, A-10 scenario's work, but the ferry scenario's don't work. No offense but, do you actually test the scenario's before releasing them?

Thanks for the bug report, the paste of the errors was especially helpful.

Bombable is a fairly large and complex package now. Doing real regression testing of each point release across all different aircraft, AI aircraft, scenarios, platforms, and at least a few different version of FG as well as the current GIT version, and each of those on multiplayer vs AI, is basically impossible without a fairly good-sized team to work on it. (Keep in mind that you have to multiply all those options together to get your total number of test cases--ie, you might have an error that appears only for one certain aircraft in one certain scenario, on a certain version of linux, and version 2.2.0 of FG. And oh yeah--only if FG's MP is enabled but Bombable's MP is disabled.)

In short, no I don't methodically check each and every aircraft, each and every scenario, each and every AI aircraft, and each and every aircraft over MP, before putting out every point release. If I tried to do that, point releases would be years apart . . .

In addition, once the final release/install file is created, one really should test each aircraft/AI aircraft/scenario/platform etc. by installing it on a clean install of FG. So now we're talking double that many years apart . . . .

So the reality is if we want to have releases at all they are going to be less than perfect in all the ways one could predict--like this one, which I believe was caused by some malfunction in zipping up the final files and some directory naming problems that don't show up on my platform (Windows, famous for not being able to discriminate B from b . . . ) no matter how much I test.

Thanks to your report, I think (?!) I have it fixed now. So, I really appreciate i!
Last edited by flug on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
flug

Postby flug » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:20 pm

Kabuki wrote in Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:42 am:I'm going through the scenarios one by one, and if they don't work, I'm moving them, and copying any error messages I find into the scenarios's description text.

Thank you!

I've cleaned up quite a bit of this in the latest (forthcoming) release. It's still definitely a bit messy, though.

One issue in 4.3 was some directories are "-bombable" and others are "-Bombable" (ie, one name used in the directory structure and the other in the scenario file). So of course that made the models fail to load.

Just a dumb typo but since I'm working on Windows it all works just fine and dandy . . . sorry for those of you on a system that can discriminate between b and B . . . .

And FG 2.4.0 seems to have a thing where models unload almost the instant they are out of sight (ie, behind you). And when you turn around and they pop back into sight, it runs all the nasal 'load' code for the AI object again, leading to seeing the same errors over and over, if there are any.

Again, thanks to everyone for trying it and also for taking time to report the bugs here. It really, really helps.

BTW, Bombable ver 4.4 release is imminent. It should fix many of these vexing problems as well as implement a completely new/greatly improved weapon impact detection/damage assessment routine. It is like night & day compared to the old code.
Last edited by flug on Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flug

Postby flug » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:25 pm

Canseco wrote in Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:53 pm:This is what log says:

Failed to load model: Model file not found: '../../../../Aircraft/A-10/Models/A10-004-015l2.ac'
from:/home/canseco/Flightgear-0.9/data/fgdata/AI/Aircraft/A-10-bombable/Models/A-10.xml

On the A-10 folder A10-004-015l2.ac doesn't exist but A10-004-015l3.ac is present.

I changed the line on the xml AI file and it works.

Thanks, I changed that in the current release (the error you quote above is because the AI A-10 code is relying on you having that .ac file in your **main** aircraft directory. Which worked only if you had the A-10 installed in the main aircraft directory AND it was the compatible version . . . --now I've just included the file in the AI/Aircraft directory and removed the crazy ../../../../ thing, so all should be much better).

Again, thanks for the report.
flug

Postby flug » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:19 pm

Boeing wrote in Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:03 pm:The A6M2 in your package speeds way to slow!

Do you mean the AI A6M2s in the scenarios, or the A6M2-Bombable that you fly? (Or both?)
flug

Postby flug » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:26 pm

Alpha59 wrote in Thu May 26, 2011 12:09 am:how would you write the ai scenario command line for example, San Francisco bay ferry invasions?

The relevant part looks something like this:
Code: Select all
  --ai-scenario=SanFranBayFerryInvasion

The whole command line might look something like this (this is for windows, so adjust accordingly):
  --fg-root=C:\Program Files\FlightGear 2.4.0\data
  --fg-scenery=C:\Program Files\FlightGear 2.4.0\data\Scenery;C:\Program Files\FlightGear 2.4.0\scenery;C:\Program Files\FlightGear 2.4.0\terrasync
  --airport=CA35
  --aircraft=sopwithCamel-YASim-Bombable
  --control=joystick
flug

Postby flug » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:27 pm

flug wrote in Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:26 pm:
Alpha59 wrote in Thu May 26, 2011 12:09 am:how would you write the ai scenario command line for example, San Francisco bay ferry invasions?

The relevant part looks something like this:

The whole command line might look something like this (this is for windows, and just copy/pasted from FGRun, so adjust accordingly):
C:\Program Files\FlightGear 2.4.0\bin\Win32\fgfs.exe
  --fg-root=C:\Program Files\FlightGear 2.4.0\data
  --fg-scenery=C:\Program Files\FlightGear 2.4.0\data\Scenery;C:\Program Files\FlightGear 2.4.0\scenery;C:\Program Files\FlightGear 2.4.0\terrasync
  --airport=CA35
  --aircraft=sopwithCamel-YASim-Bombable
  --control=joystick
flug

Postby Aeolus » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:40 pm

Thanks, marincountyzeroinvasion and WWII works for me as does Warthog when I change XML file.
However there are no contrails or damage smoke.
Aeolus

Postby Vodoun da Vinci » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:41 pm

My findings exactly...not getting any contrails/tracking smoke nor is there any indication of damage inflicted by AI 'Bots on my aircraft. The engine will stop running at 100% damage but there is no smoke. Very difficult to spot 'Bots without smoke so I have been forced to test by trolling around waiting for them to find/attack my 'Spit.

Which they do with vicious relish...

Still having a great time and super thanks to Flug for releasing an updated Bombable - Can't wait for the next version. Bugs or not, it's still an awesome add on to FGFS and a wonderful tool for creating the kinds of scenarios I have always wanted!

Thank You, Flug! :D

VooDoo
FGFS version 2.4.0 on Windows 7
Primarily Flying Warbirds, Jet and Prop - Visit: http://www.fguk.eu
VooDoo's FGFS/FGUK Movies!: http://www.youtube.com/user/VooDoodaVinci?feature=mhee
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
A. Einstein
Vodoun da Vinci
Retired

Postby DutchPilotMitchell » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:22 pm

Contrails on the a-10 scenario's work for me tough.

Awesome video!
Proud to be Dutch.
DutchPilotMitchell

Callsign: mitchel
Version: 22

Postby Johan G » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Awesome video indeed, even without soundtrack. :D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby flug » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:05 pm

New release candidate online if anyone would like to try & give feedback:

http://brenthugh.com/flightgear/bombable4-4adevel.zip

This has some rather huge improvements over the previous version and solves many of the problems you have reported here with scenario files etc.

Edit: A-n-d--we're up to 4-4a devel already. Just tweaks and bug fixes as I'm not going to think about adding any new features, but just work in stamping out the bugs. Please post any bug reports!
Last edited by flug on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
flug

Postby flug » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:08 pm

Vodoun da Vinci wrote in Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:41 pm:My findings exactly...not getting any contrails/tracking smoke nor is there any indication of damage inflicted by AI 'Bots on my aircraft. The engine will stop running at 100% damage but there is no smoke. Very difficult to spot 'Bots without smoke so I have been forced to test by trolling around waiting for them to find/attack my 'Spit.

Which they do with vicious relish... . . .

Still having a great time and super thanks to Flug for releasing an updated Bombable - Can't wait for the next version. Bugs or not, it's still an awesome add on to FGFS and a wonderful tool for creating the kinds of scenarios I have always wanted!

Thank You, Flug! :D

VooDoo

You're welcome, VooDoo!

Not sure what the problem is with missing smoke, but there were directory issues in the previous release, so that could be the reason. (Some directories had Bombable, some bombable, and since I'm running Windows it all works fine for me . . . ).

BTW for locating the bogeys if you're running 2.4.0 the Equipment/Map works great. You have to click one of the options, "Display Traffic" or something like that.
flug

Postby Vodoun da Vinci » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:12 pm

I'll be all over this Bad Boy tonight when I get off work! :D

I'm assuming we just install it over the top of the existing Bombable as in the past.....right? I'm running Windows 7. We'll see if I still have issues when I load up the new version. Thanks again in advance!

VooDoo
FGFS version 2.4.0 on Windows 7
Primarily Flying Warbirds, Jet and Prop - Visit: http://www.fguk.eu
VooDoo's FGFS/FGUK Movies!: http://www.youtube.com/user/VooDoodaVinci?feature=mhee
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
A. Einstein
Vodoun da Vinci
Retired

PreviousNext

Return to New features