Board index FlightGear Development New features

Airport Diagram Generator

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Airport Diagram Generator

Postby NicQ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:44 pm

brisa wrote:Ok, now I have updated the software to rotate vor to magnetic north, can anybody test it ?

Just re-downloaded the package, and the KSFO layout included in the package is good.
But after choosing KNUQ and a 20nm radius, all the generated files have their VOR compass rose pointing to true north rather than mag.
Wrong uploaded exe ?
Cheers,
Nic
If it ain't broke, break it. How else are you going to figure out how it works ?
Callsign: C-NICQ, amateur FGFS military and aerobatic test pilot, pushing the envelope since 2009 (sic)

FGFS Gallery
Birds Of Gear, a blog
NicQ's Workshop
NicQ

Postby brisa » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:06 pm

now vor orientation should be fine :-)
brisa

Callsign: brisa

Postby NicQ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:31 pm

brisa wrote:now vor orientation should be fine :-)

Bingo !! All working as advertised, very nice.
Thanks again,
Cheers !
Nic
If it ain't broke, break it. How else are you going to figure out how it works ?
Callsign: C-NICQ, amateur FGFS military and aerobatic test pilot, pushing the envelope since 2009 (sic)

FGFS Gallery
Birds Of Gear, a blog
NicQ's Workshop
NicQ

Postby mdsmith » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:50 pm

This is a very nice tool! Only one problem: It doesn't render solo TACANs (which my airport's approach relies on :()
mdsmith
Retired

Postby NicQ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:46 pm

mdsmith wrote:This is a very nice tool! Only one problem: It doesn't render solo TACANs (which my airport's approach relies on :()

Yeah, expending the generated area chart to include all navaids, including some general fixes in the radius indicated would be great.
Kinda like what you can do with the nav tab on MPMap :)
With distance information, even better. At least, scale on the chart, with maybe a light grid according to degree minutes.

Now, having height/obstacle information to boot would be great, but I don't know that can be easily done.

Again, great tool, keep at it ! :)
Cheers,
Nic

FGFS Gallery
Birds Of Gear, a blog
NicQ's Workshop
NicQ

Postby jentron » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:00 pm

Here is a new vor.svg that has the full compass rose:

Unfortunately, its not a drop-in replacement because it comes in offset. Svg and java are both foreign to me so I don't know the best way to fix this.

Thanks,
Ron
Aircraft: F-4E, Cessna 182RG, Fi-156 Storch, Diamond DA20 Katana and Eclipse, Ercoupe, LZ-129, Gossamer Albatross
Airports: CYKF, CNC4, KHIF, 42U, KOXB, 4MD1
jentron

Version: custom

Postby brisa » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 pm

jentron wrote:Here is a new vor.svg that has the full compass rose:

Done ! :)
jentron wrote:Unfortunately, its not a drop-in replacement because it comes in offset. Svg and java are both foreign to me so I don't know the best way to fix this.

No problem, I rotate the svg in java according to the magnetic north :wink:

Now there should be singolar tacan too in the map, can anyone of you check it ?
Download the new version and let me know.

cheers
Francesco
brisa

Postby D-79 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:03 pm

Francesco, the new VORTAC compass looks great and very useful!

TACANS are now recognised as well.

But unfortunately, the frequencies for TAC and NDB are not displayed correctly, they are too long, see e.g. KNTU.

Cheers
Dave
callsign: D-79
Scenery contributions: EDDM, EDDP, LOWI, ENAL and ENSD, North Sea oil platforms, taxiway signs at EDDF and EDDT
D-79

Version: GIT

Postby brisa » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:52 pm

now they should be fine ..... check it ....
brisa

Postby D-79 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:22 pm

Works very well now.

Dave
callsign: D-79
Scenery contributions: EDDM, EDDP, LOWI, ENAL and ENSD, North Sea oil platforms, taxiway signs at EDDF and EDDT
D-79

Version: GIT

Postby jentron » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:17 pm

I cleaned up the VOR rose (removed the yellow fill) and did a tacan rose. These are drop-in replacements.

There is also now a vor-dme and vortac version waiting for Brisa to add support. :D

All are here: http://www.jentronics.com/fgfs/temp/compass/

To fix the TACAN frequency you'll need to open Navaids/TACAN_freq.dat.gz and convert the freq to a channel number.

It looks like the NDB might be picking up VOR frequencies somewhere? Not really sure what's going on there.
Edit, updated to last version: now NDBs are gone!

Ron
Aircraft: F-4E, Cessna 182RG, Fi-156 Storch, Diamond DA20 Katana and Eclipse, Ercoupe, LZ-129, Gossamer Albatross
Airports: CYKF, CNC4, KHIF, 42U, KOXB, 4MD1
jentron

Version: custom

Postby brisa » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:43 pm

some update......
I am trying to insert shared objects into both the airport map and surrounding map (How to call them ?).
for example, in the airport map you will see now schematics of hangars (Only shared objects ones), see for example KHWD, while in the second page you can see pylons.

now, what is to be inserted, which svg file to use and the size of the paint is set by a xml file in the config folder (Very easy to be understood and manipulated).
as always I greedly need your feedback............
brisa

Postby NicQ » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:23 pm

Brisa, try EHAM, and see how the process fails : it makes a map, but it's unusable, you'll understand. Not sure how you should deal with such cases.
Also, you have directions reversed on runways (you point toward the wrong end alongside the exact magnetic heading)

Keep it up !!
Cheers,
Nic

FGFS Gallery
Birds Of Gear, a blog
NicQ's Workshop
NicQ

Postby brisa » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:27 pm

NicQ wrote:Brisa, try EHAM, and see how the process fails : it makes a map, but it's unusable, you'll understand. Not sure how you should deal with such cases.

Thanks for any comment, I tried a little to improve light generation (more little light, and not black, but dark gray lights)., it is not much, but helps.
Now, this is a huge airport, lot of runways, so few space left for image, and scale is very high to fit all airport at once.

What would you (everybody) suggest to do in such case of airports ?

NicQ wrote:Also, you have directions reversed on runways (you point toward the wrong end alongside the exact magnetic heading)

I don't understand exactly where is the problem with them... I don't see theme reversed, where exactly is the problem ?

please, go on finding "hard" airport to be drawn, it is a nice challenge :-)
brisa

Postby ThorX » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:50 am

Excuse me, but that download link is not working for me. Can anyone confirm ?
ThorX

PreviousNext

Return to New features