Board index FlightGear Development New features

Vatsim in FG

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Vatsim in FG

Postby Merik » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:54 am

redneck wrote in Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:18 am:Look at the SID and STAR charts for the airports. Look at the appropriate IFR charts (high=18,000+ ft, low= <18,000ft). Choose your airways. You're route from KSFO to KSUU is a low altitude flight:
SFO8 SFO OAKEY

FltPlan.com suggests this route: OAK V195 CROIT TZZ

RouteFinder suggests this one: KSFO SFO REBAS SGD KSUU

Your suggestion is also valid. How do I chose between them?
I'm using FlightGear Git version on a Win 7 machine with an onboard ATI graphic card and 3 GB of RAM.

These are the link I've found useful: Types of AirspeedE6B emulatorAirspaces explained with examples
Merik

Postby Chrison » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:25 pm

Merik wrote in Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:54 am:
redneck wrote in Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:18 am:Look at the SID and STAR charts for the airports. Look at the appropriate IFR charts (high=18,000+ ft, low= <18,000ft). Choose your airways. You're route from KSFO to KSUU is a low altitude flight:
SFO8 SFO OAKEY

FltPlan.com suggests this route: OAK V195 CROIT TZZ

RouteFinder suggests this one: KSFO SFO REBAS SGD KSUU

Your suggestion is also valid. How do I chose between them?

There is no one route between two places, nor is there a "correct" or "incorrect" route so long as you get where you're going. Choose the one that works best for you. So, for instance, if the wind is blowing from the north choose a route that brings you in from the south. If there's a storm (and turbulence) brewing in the south, come in from the north.

Regards,

Chris
"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!" (Jackie Gleason)
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Callsign: Chrison, AVA0066

Postby redneck » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:37 pm

Chrison wrote in Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:25 pm:There is no one route between two places, nor is there a "correct" or "incorrect" route so long as you get where you're going.

Not true. If you are using outdated charts, the clearance delivery will not clear you for your route. Simroutes generated routes are fine in the US, but try it in Europe, and you'll see. Clearance delivery will tell you, "You're route is outdated. Fly such and such route."
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby Chrison » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:52 pm

redneck wrote in Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:37 pm:
Chrison wrote in Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:25 pm:There is no one route between two places, nor is there a "correct" or "incorrect" route so long as you get where you're going.

Not true. If you are using outdated charts, the clearance delivery will not clear you for your route. Simroutes generated routes are fine in the US, but try it in Europe, and you'll see. Clearance delivery will tell you, "You're route is outdated. Fly such and such route."

Thus far, I haven't had many changes from Clearance, whether in North America and Europe, and most changes have been because the canned route from SimRoutes has assumed the wrong SID. However, you are correct that ATC can change your planned route based on any number of factors so a flight plan is just that... a plan that's subject to change.

Regards,

Chris
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Postby Merik » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:19 pm

redneck wrote in Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:37 pm:Simroutes generated routes are fine in the US, but try it in Europe, and you'll see. Clearance delivery will tell you, "You're route is outdated. Fly such and such route."

Thank you guys for your replies. What redneck said here is exactly the heart of what I want to learn. I want to know how the person working at the clearance delivery knows a route is outdated, and how he fixes it for you on the fly. But that's a separate question you can answer here.

As for the current topic (Vatsim in FG), once my connection is established to the VATSIM server, how can I confirm that I'm really connected? I tried Cayri map for VASTIM and couldn't see myself. I also guessed maybe it's because I'm still on ground or not confirmed by the ATC or something. So I tried talking to ground controller or the clearance delivery and none of them responded. Any advice?
I'm using FlightGear Git version on a Win 7 machine with an onboard ATI graphic card and 3 GB of RAM.

These are the link I've found useful: Types of AirspeedE6B emulatorAirspaces explained with examples
Merik

Postby redneck » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:13 pm

First, did you tune to their freq? Did you true PMing as well? I use VATSpy. You If you're on the ground, you need to mouse over the airport you're at, and check the list of arrivals/departures.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Postby Merik » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:47 am

I tried PMing and yes, I was on the correct frequency. Could it have anything to do with my using the Git version, not 2.0.0 stable version?

I will install VAT-Spy and try again, but isn't there an online solution for that?

Merik

Postby redneck » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:03 am

There's also VATSIM stats and VATAware, but they're not live maps. Merik, let me crossloop with you so we can solve this problem. Maybe your settings are bad or something.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby Chrison » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:14 am

redneck wrote in Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:03 am:There's also VATSIM stats and VATAware, but they're not live maps. Merik, let me crossloop with you so we can solve this problem. Maybe your settings are bad or something.

I, too, use VATSpy quite a bit, but VATAware will show you a Google Map of where you're currently at in your flight. Just do a "Pilot Search" using your VATSIM userID to find yourself in their database. Then, click on your current flight.

Regards,

Chris
Chrison

Postby Chrison » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:19 am

Merik wrote in Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:19 pm:As for the current topic (Vatsim in FG), once my connection is established to the VATSIM server, how can I confirm that I'm really connected? I tried Cayri map for VASTIM and couldn't see myself. I also guessed maybe it's because I'm still on ground or not confirmed by the ATC or something. So I tried talking to ground controller or the clearance delivery and none of them responded. Any advice?

Could you hear the ATC talking and/or see their text typing? Btw, are you running on a Windows system, or are you using Linux or Mac OSX? It's a little easier doing this on Windows because the software you need (sb747 and AVC) are Windows applications, but it can still take a bit of "mucking around" to get things working properly. After all, what you're doing is a major kludge since FG doesn't directly support VATSIM.

Hope the above is a bit helpful. Keep working at it... we'll eventually get you going! ;) :D

Regards,

Chris
Chrison

Postby Merik » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:44 am

I finally got it working. I tried flying from KSFO to KOAK, and submitted my flight plan through sb747 itself. The controller talked to me very briefly in the beginning but didn't continue afterwards (but then again, I only had text available so if he said something, I couldn't hear him). VATSpy showed me but with some minutes of delay.

It was not an excellent flight (link) specially for take off, because of the massive crosswind (270@20G24) and I didn't actually follow any procedures (neither joined the pattern nor used an instrument to land). I was totally side tracked by trying to connect to the controller. But still, it was a good start.

What I need to learn now is how to run the Advanced Voice Controller to be able to establish voice comms with controllers (I need to know the server and room information, where to find them, and the keypress assigned to switching mic on and off).

Merik

Postby redneck » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:53 pm

You need to set it up. I recommend right control for the PTT button. In SB747, go to ATCs in range, and it will tell you the server/channel. Alternatively, read the manual, and learn how to set up autotuning. What that will do is connect AVC to the correct server/channel based on the freq you set in your comm radio. It doesn't always work however, so you may want to keep that window of available ATCs in range open.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby Merik » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:06 pm

redneck wrote in Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:53 pm:You need to set it up. I recommend right control for the PTT button.

Where do I set it up? And if it is in the FG configs, is PTT button by default set to Space bar?

In SB747, go to ATCs in range, and it will tell you the server/channel.

Can you give me an example of the server/channel and where I should put it in AVC? Also, if there's no controller in the area, which server do I connect to to talk over UNICOM?

Merik

Postby Merik » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:23 pm

And yet another question I have is, what happens if there's another aircraft near me in VATSIM? Do I actually see them in FlightGear (like when you are on the MP servers) or not?

Merik

Postby redneck » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:05 pm

Merik wrote in Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:06 pm:Where do I set it up? And if it is in the FG configs, is PTT button by default set to Space bar?

You open AVC and go to options or something. Please get on Skype today so we can crossloop. It will make it much easier for me to help you.
Merik wrote in Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:06 pm:Can you give me an example of the server/channel and where I should put it in AVC?

Unfortunately, no, since I have not been on VATSIM in a very long time. I'm still bitter about that time I was wrongly kicked.
Merik wrote in Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:06 pm:Also, if there's no controller in the area, which server do I connect to to talk over UNICOM?

UNICOM has no voice server.
Merik wrote in Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:23 pm:And yet another question I have is, what happens if there's another aircraft near me in VATSIM? Do I actually see them in FlightGear (like when you are on the MP servers) or not?

It depends. On default settings, you will not see them at all. If you check the Traffic Passthrough box or whatever it's called you will see either an A320 or a 737 to represent other pilots on VATSIM. Again, please get on Skype so we can crossloop so I can show you, since telling doesn't seem to be working out too well.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

PreviousNext

Return to New features