Board index FlightGear Development New features

Sunny Ideas

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Sunny Ideas

Postby Nitro » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:55 pm

Main problem with Sun is that you can turn camera directly into it and watch that white ball like any other star or Moon. But in real life looking at Sun is possible only at sunrise/sunset position.

I am wondering, is it hard task to add some interaction like smoothly whitening all sky around Sun when camera is watching directly into it. Also cockpit inner illumination should change its brightness during that moment (to became darker but with light glow on the cockpit window edges).

Sun outer glow and its appearing through clouds also should be more increased because sometimes its very hard to find it behind clouds, but in real life it differs.

Lens glow effect also should give + to realism, I think.
Nitro

Re: Sunny Ideas

Postby 2011futuremarine » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:24 pm

Nitro wrote:Sun outer glow and its appearing through clouds also should be more increased because sometimes its very hard to find it behind clouds, but in real life it differs.

These two are the most important I think, and I think it was mentioned in another thread about sun shining on the terrain...right now the terrain has no brightness etc to it because of the sun...for instances, one side of the hill should be brighter if facing the sun than the other...
Aircraft: primarily military
2011futuremarine

Callsign: Dodger4

Re: Sunny Ideas

Postby HHS » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:25 pm

Nitro wrote:Main problem with Sun is that you can turn camera directly into it and watch that white ball like any other star or Moon. But in real life looking at Sun is possible only at sunrise/sunset position.

I am wondering, is it hard task to add some interaction like smoothly whitening all sky around Sun when camera is watching directly into it. Also cockpit inner illumination should change its brightness during that moment (to became darker but with light glow on the cockpit window edges).

Sun outer glow and its appearing through clouds also should be more increased because sometimes its very hard to find it behind clouds, but in real life it differs.

Well, you have to change the hardcode. That's the main problem. There are some code examples and tutorials but to implement this is hard work. And: there must be someone who makes this. ;-) - that's the most importnat thing!

But that's right- it would increase realitity. I hear of an aircarft incident in germany where a pilot choosed an acre instead the rwy few meters beside due to the sun- it would be great to have this!
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Return to New features