Board index FlightGear Development New features

Nav audioident, morse code bool property?

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Nav audioident, morse code bool property?

Postby ScottBouch » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:24 pm

Hi all,

I'm wondering if it is at all possible to place in the property tree a bool relating to the morse code audio tone generated for ILS and VOR beacons? ie: for the bool to be true while the tone is being generated, and false when it's not.

I'm trying to put together an external script to play morse tones to a separate sound card (or even using a raspberry pi over Ethernet) when this bool is true so I can send the morse Nav tones to a headset, leaving the engine noise etc to the PC speakers for ambient external sound. This concept has come about because FGFS can't work with multiple sound cards, which would be ideal for splitting ambient sounds away from headset sounds.

In the instrumentation/nav properties, I can't find such a bool, so assume it's kept internal to the Nav scripts, the only output being the actual audio tones. I've had a look at some of the cxx and hxx files such as audioident, but have to admit to being a little out of my depth here, plus I don't want to have a customised FGFS install, as future upgrades would require a bit of messing around, staying with stock released FGFS is ideal.

Any advice on how to implement this would be excellent,
but I have a feeling it will be a feature request for a future FGFS release (if it's considered as a necessary improvement by the devs)...
OR is there something I can do in my aircraft model that can bring this bool to the property tree (saving a core FGFS change)?
OR is it the sort of thing that can be done by developing an Add-On?

(It'd be one bool per Nav unit, as they can be on different frequencies.)

Many thanks, Scott.
Last edited by ScottBouch on Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ScottBouch

Re: Nav audioident, morse code bool property?

Postby ScottBouch » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:08 pm

Here is the real aircraft intercom equipment I want to send only the morse code tones to:

See previous example: https://scottbouch.com/falklands-chariots-of-fire.htm

ScottBouch

Postby TheEagle » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:36 pm

As far as I know that property exists already and is named "ident", for each nav unit - can you check please if that does what you want ?
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby ScottBouch » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:49 am

Ah, flipping heck! if thats so, then please ignore me! I will check it out later. and mark this as solved if so.

Many thanks again, sorry for sounding like a div.

Cheers, Scott
ScottBouch

Postby Maerchenprinz » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:52 pm

Hi Scott!

Sorry to break your love affair with the previous post, it is a misunderstanding:
The properties "/instrumentation/nav[n]/ident" or "/instrumentation/dme[n]/ident" just mean that the tuned station HAS an identification code.
You are rather looking for a bool property that goes on and off like _/..../../... , right?
You can open the property tree with key "/" and search for yourself, but I'm pretty sure that anything like this is being exposed to the property tree...
There is a property "/instrumentation/nav[n]/nav-id" though; It gives you, well you guessed it, station ID in letters.
So, a script that reads that property and turns it into, well you know the rest... :P

Ciao,

Adrian
Maerchenprinz

Callsign: Adrian

Postby ScottBouch » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:23 am

Hi Adrian,

Yes, exactly, i am looking for a bool to be true for the time period of a dot or a dash, and false for the spaces in between..

I was really hoping not to re-invent the wheel here by duplicating code and functionality thats already present in the core simulator (based on the letter codes).

I have not had time to look at this bool suggested by TheEagle just yet, had a busy time of it preparing for CockpitFest 2022. But sounds from what you said it may not be the answer i am looking for.

Cheers, Scott
ScottBouch

Return to New features