Board index FlightGear Development New features

[Request] Mouse controls improvements

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

[Request] Mouse controls improvements

Postby Ardox » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:48 pm

Hi There!

At now, FG has a mouse controls support, but it is very inconvenient. The problems are:
1. No dead zone (null zone) at the center of the screen. Any smallest mouse moving causes yoke deviation and changing aircraft trajectory.
2. Mouse pointer position doesn't corresponds to the yoke position. Because of this, it is not clear whether aircraft needs trimming or not. When cycling mouse between mouse look and mouse controls, the pointer position is also changing.

The reason is that the mouse steering is not proportional to the position of the mouse pointer on the screen, but rather to its movements. I think, this is completely incorrect implementation of that feature. In other sims, for example, FSX, the mouse steering is proportional to the position of the mouse pointer on the screen, and using mouse controls brings much more pleasant experience.

Similar issues experienced by the other users: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=21329

That's why I would ask to remake the mouse controlling option, so that mouse steering become proportional to the position of the mouse pointer on the screen, and add support of dead zone.
Thank you.
Ardox

Re: [Request] Mouse controls improvements

Postby TheEagle » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:42 pm

Ardox wrote in Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:48 pm:Because of this, it is not clear whether aircraft needs trimming or not

The HUD could be helpful for that - press h to toggle it, and Shift + i to cycle between the different HUD configurations. As for the deadzone, I think it's definitely possible in FG already, but I don't know how.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Return to New features