Board index FlightGear Development New features

Out of the box controller support

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Out of the box controller support

Postby EiffelPower75 » Sun May 08, 2022 7:59 am

Hello,

I am on Windows 10, and currently have an Xbox Wireless Controller, this one exactly : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B08JW5DR79

Presently, when I launch FlightGear, few inputs are active, so I cannot play without further manipulation on the keyboard, or configuration

What I would like, is just that I turned on my controller, launch FlightGear, and all the controller inputs would be bounded to a functionnality of the plane, or the software, so I could start gaming immediately just with the controller

That would make FlightGear much more accessible for newcomers, even a ten years old child could use it for fun
Last edited by EiffelPower75 on Sun May 08, 2022 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EiffelPower75

Re: Out of the box gamepad support

Postby wkitty42 » Sun May 08, 2022 5:13 pm

i have that controller and i was working on an XML file for it... i'm not sure how well i have things configured, though... it seems to work fine but there are some things are slightly tricky... i've not shared it with anyone but my plan is to ultimately have it committed to FGData for everyone to have access to by default... i'll have to dig it back out and see where i left it...

FWIW: a gamepad is not a controller... at least not to me... to me a gamepad only has a D-pad and four buttons... a controller has a D-pad, four buttons, two thumb-sticks, two triggers, and two bumpers... plus the menu and options buttons...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Re: Out of the box controller support

Postby EiffelPower75 » Sun May 08, 2022 8:11 pm

Thank you for your quick response

Yes, I was talking about a controller, not a gamepad. I have edited the title accordingly
EiffelPower75

Postby SP-NTX » Wed May 18, 2022 10:43 am

1. FlightGear is more for advanced ones than the MSFS, XP11 and so on, and that's good, cause you can learn new things, etc.
2. Joystick, maybe even mouse > Gamepad
3. XML is not too hard
4. Usually, everything works correctly (i have Hotas X, i had Stick X joysticks, and i did almost nothing in XML, even used old PS3 controller to make panel with few buttons, also worked without changes in the xml)
5. As some pepole say, flightgear is more simulator than game, playing is more flying than gaming. No one is going to make support for every one possible controller, cause its just too hard. You can support the development with creating configuration file for your controller and then share it with FlightGear community
Freedom can be frightening if you've never felt it
SP-NTX

Callsign: SP-NTX
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby exedore6 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:37 pm

Necroing this thread - I've got the same controller and working on getting it going. I'm about 90% there - the rudder is tricky because the trigger buttons are each an axis, needs an offset. I'm having a rough go getting the stick buttons to center things, and getting the pause function working, but it's flyable. I'll post what I've got later today.
exedore6

Postby feuerzeug » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:44 pm

This worked for me with Xbox Gamepads, you only have to replace the name in the xml file with your controller's name

https://github.com/YoRyan/fg-x360-gamepad/
feuerzeug

Return to New features