Board index FlightGear Development New features

(Suggestion) Joystick profiles

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

(Suggestion) Joystick profiles

Postby VA-41 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:37 pm

Currently FG only allows one configuration for one joystick, however usually different aircraft have different controls that would be useful to map to the joystick, but can not be used on other aircraft (like changing the external view buttons to radar lock buttons on fighters). This could be done with changing the bindings each time using when flying a different aircraft, but that is definitely not an effective way to do it. That is why I would like to have a way to have multiple configurations that could be edited in the joystick configuration dialog under one joystick.

In addition to that, it would be also nice to have the custom configurations based on the default configuration unlike how currently editing from the default configuration creates a completely blank configuration. This would preserve settings that cannot be changed from the configuration dialog but are important for the joystick to function properly (like the 0.02 deadband on T16000M).
VA-41

Re: (Suggestion) Joystick profiles

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:01 pm

FWIW: i don't have a dead band on my T16000M... at least not that i'm aware of... i never set one, anyway...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby VA-41 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:06 pm

Mine always goes + or - 0,00002 when no input is given and a custom configuration is used.
VA-41

Postby Johan G » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:06 pm

VA-41 wrote in Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:37 pm:Currently FG only allows one configuration for one joystick, however usually different aircraft have different controls that would be useful to map to the joystick, but can not be used on other aircraft (like changing the external view buttons to radar lock buttons on fighters). [...] I would like to have a way to have multiple configurations that could be edited in the joystick configuration dialog under one joystick.

I can only agree. There is apparently some example of using overlays (in essence another XML file with properties that overwrite other properties) for the Thrustmaster Warthog, but I have not looked deeper into it myself.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby tom_nl » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:35 pm

I found a workaround for this - what I do is I launch FlightGear with a shell script that calls various parameters, one of which is the aircraft. As part of the script, each aircraft has a joystick and pedal profile xml set up. The first lines of the script simply copies these into my local FG joystick configuration directory with the name of the controller that FG expects, overwriting whatever profile is there, the next lines actually launch FG.

So, correct buttons and axes set up for whatever i'm flying :D

Tom
tom_nl

Postby VA-41 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:46 am

That would of course work, but is probably not a very accessible method to all users.
VA-41

Return to New features