Board index FlightGear Development New features

(Suggestion) Multiple METARs

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

(Suggestion) Multiple METARs

Postby VA-41 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:20 pm

As far as I know, you can only enter one METAR when defining custom weather. I would like to have the possibility to enter multiple, so users could have custom weather for individual airports without editing the weather mid-flight. Could this be easily implemented?
VA-41

Re: (Suggestion) Multiple METARs

Postby Johan G » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:14 pm

I guess it could be possible, but likely not easily implemented.

Quite possibly you could play around with the property browser trying to figure out what properties are used, and look around in the weather code (written in Nasal).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby VA-41 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:48 pm

In that case, could anyone explain why there are multiple METAR properties, since it seems like only one is used?
VA-41

Postby V12 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:02 pm

It is for Advanced Weather in Live mode. Weather engine calculate weather from all available metars based on the distance.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby VA-41 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:06 pm

So basically, could the metar parser be edited to load multiple metars in Advanced mode?
VA-41

Postby V12 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:06 am

Not. AW will overwrite your inputs automatically after some seconds.
V12

Postby Thorsten » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:29 am

So basically, could the metar parser be edited to load multiple metars in Advanced mode?

Yes. If there's multiple METARs pre-stored, a piece of code to select one based on distance and make it 'current' would work.

(However, once you are in offline mode, there's no reason to think in terms of METAR, it's a poor way to specify weather - a GUI that allows to actually input a weather situation in terms of e.g. fronts and high and low pressure regions would be far superior).

Not. AW will overwrite your inputs automatically after some seconds.

Rubbish - AW doesn't even write METAR information.
Thorsten

Postby VA-41 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:41 am

(However, once you are in offline mode, there's no reason to think in terms of METAR, it's a poor way to specify weather - a GUI that allows to actually input a weather situation in terms of e.g. fronts and high and low pressure regions would be far superior).

My original thought was that multiple METARs could be used to fly in past weather in the same way you fly in live weather.
VA-41

Postby Thorsten » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:09 pm

I know what your original thought was, I've just thought about a decade longer about the issue and my ideas are a bit more evolved as a result :mrgreen:
Thorsten

Postby Johan G » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:58 pm

Thorsten wrote in Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:09 pm:[...]I've just thought about a decade longer about the issue and my ideas are a bit more evolved as a result :mrgreen:

Watching the development of the advanced weather (IIRC originally Local Weather, as opposed to online I guess) was quite a joy. :D

VA-41 wrote in Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:41 am:My original thought was that multiple METARs could be used to fly in past weather in the same way you fly in live weather.

I think I get what you are looking for though.

I know it is not really what you are looking for at the moment, but do have a look at the features of advanced weather available when offline. Though not quite as easy as adding METAR strings it seem like you can customize things quite a bit more than METAR strings alone will allow for.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby V12 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:04 pm

Thorsten wrote in Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:29 am:Rubbish - AW doesn't even write METAR information.

OK, FG will overwrite that METAR information. Are You OK with this statement ?
V12

Location of the code?

Postby VA-41 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:11 pm

Does anyone happen to know where the code that saves METARs to the property tree and switches the active ones/interpolates from then is at?
VA-41

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:48 pm

i'm pretty sure i answered this on the discord... didn't i? simgear/simgear/environment/metar.cxx and metar.hxx... maybe searching for the routines' names in other FG/SG code will lead you to the plae you seek?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:52 am

OK, FG will overwrite that METAR information. Are You OK with this statement ?

FG will do no such thing either unless you select live weather - which the OP definitely does not want.

Does anyone happen to know where the code that saves METARs to the property tree and switches the active ones/interpolates from then is at?

As wkitty says.

However, if you don't want to delve into the C++ part, a simple Nasal script to change the currently used METAR string will do if you're in 'manually entered METAR' mode.
Thorsten

Postby VA-41 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:34 am

wkitty42 wrote in Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:48 pm:i'm pretty sure i answered this on the discord... didn't i? simgear/simgear/environment/metar.cxx and metar.hxx... maybe searching for the routines' names in other FG/SG code will lead you to the plae you seek?

How do you search on sourceforge?
VA-41

Next

Return to New features