Board index FlightGear Development New features

(Suggestion) Multiple METARs

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: (Suggestion) Multiple METARs

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:13 pm

the search box on the left of the repo display when you're looking at the files in the repo...

but i search on my local storage since i have a copy of the repo for using to build my FG... using find and grep on the local system is much easier and faster... plus i can then also take my time and try to read the code to understand it... maybe even tossing in some debug log lines so i can maybe see what's happening here and there as the code runs...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Search

Postby VA-41 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:22 pm

I cannot find the search box for some reason so I guess I have to download the source when I have time.
VA-41

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:51 pm

i'm sorry... i may have been thinking of the search for the mailing lists... i don't find what i was thinking of when viewing the contents of a git repo... :oops:
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby benih » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:54 pm

Sorry if I’m overthinking this, but while doing housework a simple idea did stroke my mind:

Just build some small simple webserver (java, perl, etc). This could serve metar strings from a simple source like a file or so. Then tell FG to fetch the online metar from localhost.

The Webserver backend could then easily edited with a text editor, or even be fed by a shell script or something like that.
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:34 pm

that could work but i don't remember if the URL is stored in a property or not since the last time there was a defect with it... i think it was a change from http to https which some worked around by hex editing the binary and putting in a local proxy... ISTR that it was brought up to put the METAR URL in a property at that time but i don't remember if it was done or not...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby benih » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:40 am

I think i also did read that the metar url is now configurable via property. Didn't check tough.
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby Gijs » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:21 am

You can find it in Environment/environment.xml, or set it through your commands:
Code: Select all
--prop:environment/realwx/metar-url=https://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/observations/metar/stations/[station].TXT

Note that the [station] tag is a placeholder for the airport code. On your server, you'd need files like you can find at https://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/observa ... r/stations

Should also work with a locally running server btw.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby VA-41 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:12 am

I could do that but that takes the point away from this suggestion.
VA-41

Previous

Return to New features