Board index FlightGear Development New features

Pause should disable flight controls

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Pause should disable flight controls

Postby The epic chicken » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:18 pm

i'm confused

this for every means of moving flight controls
In Thrust We Trust
The epic chicken

Callsign: cva1920
Version: 2020.3.9

Postby cgdae » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:34 pm

Thorsten wrote in Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:22 pm:Again - could we please stop trying to impose something that some people desire on everyone? I strongly disagree with any change to the current behavior that's not opt-in (and yes, I've also used the ability to move controls during pause for debugging purposes because I couldn't pull and hold a joystick).

I don't think anyone is trying to impose anything here, we're just discussing a potential addition to Flightgear.

The example patch i posted can be easily modified to enable/disable the new behaviour based on a property.

[Just to be clear because there seems to be some confusion about this in other posts, my patch only affects mouse control of elevators, ailerons and rudder.]

Assuming my patch works in general, there's the question of whether to enable the new behaviour by default. For me, avoiding ordinary users losing control and crashing after pausing, seems more important than advanced users choosing to move control surfaces with the mouse while paused. So at the moment i'd prefer to make the new behaviour the default. But there are clearly differing opinions; i'll ask on the flightgear-devel email list to get more feedback.

Thanks,

- Jules
cgdae

Postby Thorsten » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:36 am

I don't think anyone is trying to impose anything here, we're just discussing a potential addition to Flightgear.

No, you're discussing a change of some behavior.

If you're sticking around for long enough, you'll notice 'edit wars' - someone prefers way X for the response of controls. so he submits a patch that changes it for everyone. If that gets committed, another contributor notes that he can't do Y anymore, so he changes it back to the way it was. And so on.

Basic things like the response of controls to certain situations are *very* touchy to modify, and if they have been around for a decade, they - being quirky or not- by and large have been accepted, which means your first impulse should always be to not change these things.

The example patch i posted can be easily modified to enable/disable the new behaviour based on a property.

Then do that, add the GUI control to opt-in to the new behavior and keep everyone happy. Once that's the structure of the patch, we're talking an addition rather than a change.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:29 pm

Hooray wrote in Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:03 pm:
wkitty42 wrote in Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:18 pm:maybe hitting pause could switch the mouse mode to normal mode and then back when pause is hit again to unpause?

If FlightGear tries being that "smart", it should probably at least be shown in the form of a corresponding log message and/or tooltip, and include a boolean property/option so that people can easily disable that behavior if they don't want that

exactly...

Hooray wrote in Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:03 pm: - otherwise, I can see us (5+ years from now) "debugging" weird bugs, where the mouse stops behaving as expected after someone accidentally paused the sim :lol:

5+ years? we get it now with folk starting the sim paused and wondering why nothing is working :lol:
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby The epic chicken » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:34 pm

5+ years? we get it now with folk starting the sim paused and wondering why nothing is working :lol:

well. i'm guilty of that
In Thrust We Trust
The epic chicken

Postby The epic chicken » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:42 am

i haven't been around here for long enough to notice edit wars
but i've been in the minecraft comuitey to notice their edit wars
In Thrust We Trust
The epic chicken

Postby Thorsten » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:09 pm

The point sprites which were alternatively directional or working for AMD chipsets (which changed every six months or so) are a prime example from FG :mrgreen:
Thorsten

Previous

Return to New features