Board index FlightGear Development New features

CompositeViewer: Early Bird Feedback

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

CompositeViewer: Early Bird Feedback

Postby Hooray » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:23 am

http://wiki.flightgear.org/CompositeViewer_Support

I've been able to get the whole thing to crash fairly reliably (using latest next), even without loading any terrain/aircraft (and disabling all draw masks to render nothing except for the skydome): simply by tinkering with different OSG threading modes while circling above the sea (ufo) with multiple cloned views (all views inheriting the same draw mask settings, i.e. rendering just the skydome).

The most reliable way to crash is using --prop:/sim/rendering/multithreading-mode=CullThreadPerCameraDrawThreadPerContext

According to the wiki, this is known to be somewhat fragile apparently (Torsten reported this repeatedly) - so this might not even be a CV specific regression: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Activa ... PU_support

However, compared to Automatic/SingleThreaded, the CV mode crashes rather quickly (under 5 minutes)

Which is a pity, because when using aggressive OSG threading, performance is REMARKABLY GOOD !! (seeing 120+ fps in all 3 windows) :D

There also seems to be a minor issue inside the main window after cloning, i.e. in that the menubar, OSG stats and any tooltips are shown with an offset in the lower part of the window rather than at the top and PUI dialogs are rendered incompletely - which is "fixed" by resizing the window manually.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Re: CompositeViewer: Early Bird Feedback

Postby cgdae » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:30 am

Hooray wrote in Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:23 am:There also seems to be a minor issue inside the main window after cloning, i.e. in that the menubar, OSG stats and any tooltips are shown with an offset in the lower part of the window rather than at the top and PUI dialogs are rendered incompletely - which is "fixed" by resizing the window manually.

This sort of behaviour is very common when using OpenSceneGraph-3.4 (with the root cause appearing to be resize events being sent to the wrong window). But it appeared to be fixed by switching to OpenSceneGraph-3.6.

I suspect you're actually using OpenSceneGraph-3.6 though, in which case maybe there are still some event handling issues remaining?

Thanks,

- Jules
cgdae

Re: CompositeViewer: Early Bird Feedback

Postby Hooray » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:36 am

right, like you said already - I have indeed multiple OSG versions installed locally and I am using different CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH setups for each build, but will check if it's picking up 3.4 somehow ... so please disregard this for now

EDIT: I can also get the CV build to crash reliably by resetting (File/reset), even without having any cloned views at all - it's always baiing out at: osgViewer::View::getDatabasePager()
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to New features