Board index FlightGear Development New features

Red Griffin ATC - Speaking ATC addon for Flightgear

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Red Griffin ATC - Speaking ATC addon for Flightgear

Postby Hooray » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:49 am

you might want to add your updates/announcements to the monthly FlightGear newsletter (you can basically just copy&paste your forum postings)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby RedGriffin » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:23 pm

Hooray wrote in Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:49 am:you might want to add your updates/announcements to the monthly FlightGear newsletter (you can basically just copy&paste your forum postings)

I would certainly be glad to do that. What am I supposed to do in order to add my updates? Is there a specific place where I am supposed to contribute my postings?

Thank you.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
Author and developer of Red Griffin ATC (Wiki) - Enjoy my Youtube Channel
RedGriffin

Callsign: IK0TOJ
Version: 2020.4 git

Postby Hooray » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:35 pm

The FlightGear newsletter is a community effort, as such it is hosted by the wiki, so all contributors are invited to add contents their, while others can help clean up things, proof-read or add artwork/youtube video as needed, or just help with wiki markup.

You can look at other/previous newsletters - there is no single editor, it's just a "petri dish" where people can add relevant FlightGear news/events/updates, at the end of each month, the newsletter is cleaned up by wiki admins and locked for editing, and a new newsletter stub is added, that can then be filled in for the upcoming month

The template for the next newsletter can always be found at: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Next_newsletter

To look at other newsletters, see: http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_Newsletter

Again, these were all created/edited and updated in a collaborative fashion - there is no single authority to judge what's relevant/suitable, we all hope to add interesting FlightGear related news, and we also help others with translating/proof-reading things as needed.

So, if something is remotely FlightGear related, it can be added to the newsletter.

Given that you have created a FlightGear addon, and given that you have also been updating it regularly, your announcements should definitely be added to the wiki/newsletter.

Every once in a while, the newsletter is also used as a template to create changelog/release announcements, or hand-outs for FlightGear related events (fsweekend/linuxtag)

Obviously, it's a nice idea to add screen shots/videos to the newsletter - or even create a dedicated "Red Griffic ATC" wiki article and add everything there, while only adding the update to the newsletter.

For example, see: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Bombable
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby RedGriffin » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:05 pm

Hooray wrote in Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:35 pm:The FlightGear newsletter is a community effort, as such it is hosted by the wiki, so all contributors are invited to add contents their, while others can help clean up things, proof-read or add artwork/youtube video as needed, or just help with wiki markup.

Thank you for the very useful links: they are all both interesting and useful.
To tell the truth, I registered to the wiki a long time ago because I wanted to cerate a proper wiki page for my addon, including videos, pictures and tutorials.
I even started to write a page but I have given up because I had to do something else and had no time and I was not happy with what I was getting, mainly because I have no much experience with wiki syntax and markup.
I would be more than happy to see my addon featured in FlightGear newsletter and I will certainly contribute in order to have it part of the next issue. I need to better study/understand wiki markup, structure and use.

Thank you.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby RobAndrew » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:33 pm

Hooray-Thanks for mentioning that! I've done a bit of developing myself which I would love to share with readers. I hope they take it well!

Thanks again, stay safe
RobAndrew

Version: 2017.3.1

Postby Hooray » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:59 pm

Please do.

Actually, the newsletter (and even the wiki as a whole) has seen some attrition over the last couple of years, so it would definitely be good to see more people interested in contributing to the wiki.
There are many simple things that make a difference. For instance, you don't even need to contribute yourself, it will usually suffice to write a PM inviting others to contribute, focusing on people who have recently posted news/projects on the forum, e.g. new/updated aircraft/scenery/tools - many people don't realize that everybody is invited to contribute there, so all they need is an invitation and maybe a helping hand.
You will also see typos, grammar mistakes - and it is highly appreciated to review/correct additions/articles as needed.

Speaking in general, it would be great to have another 3-5 regular wiki editors, i.e. people willing to look after the wiki every once in a while.
For the time being, Johan G has been handling most things single-handedly.

Also, some of our long-term wiki contributors are less involved for the time being, which is a great opportunity for others to step up and get involved.

Once you look at the wiki/newsletter you will see that it has seen relatively few updates recently - however, some of our older newsletters were pretty good actually, and sometimes we had 5+ people involved in adding stuff to the newsletter - what people don't realize is that this would often take place in response to private messages some of us send out to people who recently posted news on the forum/devel list. So this is fairly easy to do. You can even prepare a corresponding PM/message and send it to several people at the same time - all that is needed is highlighting that the newsletter is a community effort, and that we're there to provide a helping hand.

Once we begin again doing that, we will also see the newsletter becoming more active again, it may just take 4-8 weeks admittedly :D

To be honest, as things are standing now, Johan could use a few more helping hands, and maybe someone would even be willing to get admin/moderator privileges over there, to help with some of the less glamorous tasks, like cleaning up things, or getting rid of spam/vandalism. Really, all that is needed is a wiki account and obviously a track record of contributing to the wiki. We've previously nominated others, but many of them are currently inactive apparently.

So, please do spread the word - do encourage others to get involved in the newsletter/wiki, by sharing their news/announcements there, and by uploading screen shots/artwork etc

For example, a couple of weeks ago I encouraged "puffergas" to share his Raspberry project via the wiki, and that's what's happened in the meantime: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Build_ ... berry_Pi_4
And that user has also begun contributing to other articles: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Special:Cont ... /Puffergas

Also, "VS" has recently made sizable contributions: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Special:Contributions/Vs

To see a list of active users, refer to: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Special:ActiveUsers

Given their involvement and degree/nature of contributions, I would therefore suggest to consider nominating Puffergas, Montagdude and Vs to become wiki admins as soon as possible and first of all, provide Johan G with additional "bureaucrat, check user" privileges
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Johan G » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:29 pm

RedGriffin wrote in Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:05 pm:To tell the truth, I registered to the wiki a long time ago because I wanted to cerate a proper wiki page for my addon, including videos, pictures and tutorials.
I even started to write a page but I have given up because I had to do something else and had no time and I was not happy with what I was getting, mainly because I have no much experience with wiki syntax and markup. [...] I need to better study/understand wiki markup, structure and use.

A good starting point would be at least skimming through the pages on the left side of the "Welcome to the wiki!" box un your user discussion page, in particular Help:Your first article. :)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby RedGriffin » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:36 pm

Johan G wrote in Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:29 pm:A good starting point would be at least skimming through the pages on the left side of the "Welcome to the wiki!" box, in particular Help:Your first article.

Yes, right. Of course! :) ;)
It sounds like a very good advice! :D :D :P
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby RedGriffin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:36 am

I have created the wiki page for Red Griffin ATC: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Red_Griffin_ATC

It is of course a "work in progress" and the page is far from being a complete reference for my addon. I in fact am planning to write a user's manual with practical examples and videos.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby Hooray » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:56 am

Thanks for doing this, it will be great to have your addon features on the wiki. That way, you can also update things easily, and link back to the wiki article from the forum.
While it may seem redundant from your point of view, we have countless forum postings and wiki articles linking back to websites/URLs that no longer exist, simply because hosting may have disappeared or people may no longer be involved. In other words, what you are doing now, will affect the position of your work for years to come, possibly long after you have moved onto other projects.

Apart from that, given your background, it would be great if you could document your journey a little, to help others interested in writing their own addons. I couldn't help but notice that you wrote a ton of Nasal code without even adding a single comment, so if you should decide to write a little addon related tutorial, a few more comments might be a good idea ;-)

Also, you might want to look at jsb's "modules" framework, which is all about writing structured Nasal code, so that it can be dynamically loaded/stopped and unloaded/reloaded - that way, you can do faster prototyping/testing, without having to exit/restart FligthGear permanently: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Modules.nas
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby RedGriffin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:46 am

Hooray wrote in Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:56 am:Thanks for doing this, it will be great to have your addon features on the wiki. That way, you can also update things easily, and link back to the wiki article from the forum.

My pleasure. Writing a wiki page for Red Griffin ATC was planned but had no time to do that (and in fact it is a very small page and certainly far from being complete and/or useful)

Hooray wrote in Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:56 am:While it may seem redundant from your point of view, we have countless forum postings and wiki articles linking back to websites/URLs that no longer exist, simply because hosting may have disappeared or people may no longer be involved. In other words, what you are doing now, will affect the position of your work for years to come, possibly long after you have moved onto other projects.

Yes, of course, I understand your concern and what you mean

Hooray wrote in Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:56 am:Apart from that, given your background, it would be great if you could document your journey a little, to help others interested in writing their own addons. I couldn't help but notice that you wrote a ton of Nasal code without even adding a single comment, so if you should decide to write a little addon related tutorial, a few more comments might be a good idea ;-)

I do strongly believe in self explaining code by means of "speaking" member, variable, class, method and function with meaningful names. By adopting that, you can limit the comments in your code as the name can be self explanatory both for the intentions, development and goal of code. Including some naming convention according to the type and goal of a member. I am not saying comments or commenting code is something negligible in software development - indeed, in the countless software teams I organized and led, I strongly stressed on and required from my programmers the readability of code and comments - however a meaningful coding style certainly help readability and may limit the use of comments.
Like I said many times in this thread, Nasal is just a language (to tell the truth, it is now one of the "over 30" programming/scripting/markup languages I know and use) and, as such, it makes no much difference in coding, provided the language has the proper semantics and interfaces to develop a specific software. I admit finding documentation about Nasal was not so easy and I actually learned it by "spying" other scripts, in particular those in "fgdata/Nasal" as well as the documentation available in the wiki.

Hooray wrote in Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:56 am:Also, you might want to look at jsb's "modules" framework, which is all about writing structured Nasal code, so that it can be dynamically loaded/stopped and unloaded/reloaded - that way, you can do faster prototyping/testing, without having to exit/restart FligthGear permanently: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Modules.nas

At this point, I need to say there are two versions of Red Griffin ATC: a development version and a production version. The development version is what I internally use and has mechanisms for reloading the script or part of them without exiting and relaunching FlightGear.
The production version is of course created from the development version stripped from all the "development parts" which would be just confusing and certainly not needed for the user.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby RedGriffin » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:30 pm

I am very glad to announce I have released Red Griffin ATC 1.1.0 stable, 29 March 2020.

You can download the latest version, as usual, from the sourceforge repository.
You are invited to test it and report your feedback and suggestions.

This is the changelog for version 1.1.0 - 29 March 2020

- Better post initialization of dialog buttons
    - availableRadioDialog(): Show popup message in case no radio is available
    - Split FlightGear's native "approach-departure" radio type into separate types
    - Added getCtrRadio(): it returns the appropriate "departure" or "approach" radio according to flight status and aircraftIsDeparting variable
    - Increased max_radios to 30
    - getNearestRunway() renamed to getApproachingRunway()
    - etApproachingRunway(): improved determination of approaching runway, in particular in case airport has "parallel runways" with the same heading

For a full description and instructions on how to install the addon, please refer to the Readme file or the first message of this thread.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby Michat » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:52 pm

We have serious problems with our PCs. Miguel's CPU burned out, now he's waiting for a new PC from Bremen. i'm working on IMAC running Linux with virtual keyboard, as mac kb is not detected. GRUB won Macstartup, I have no Sudo but partition is own by mac.

However we tried and test former release for a short time 30 min. Just getting familiar with the release. With such a short time testing, we haven't criteria to create any statement.

During tests of the Red Griffin ATC , just one thing we think can help to inprove the user experience, this is the use of the transparency-opacity of the RG window, but I don't know it is feasible on FGcanvas.

Tell me what do you think about it.

Thank you.
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby RedGriffin » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:18 pm

Michat wrote in Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:52 pm:However we tried and test former release for a short time 30 min. Just getting familiar with the release. With such a short time testing, we haven't criteria to create any statement.

I am sorry for the troubles you guys are having with your PC. Hopefully you will work things out very soon!
I am however glad to read you had the time to test version 1.0.0 and found it to be reliable and satisfactory.

Michat wrote in Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:52 pm:During tests of the Red Griffin ATC , just one thing we think can help to inprove the user experience, this is the use of the transparency-opacity of the RG window, but I don't know it is feasible on FGcanvas.

The dialog actually has a slightly transparent canvas. I experimented with many transparency values and ended up with the current value. According to my tests, a more transparent dialog makes the readability harder although having a better "see through" view which is however useful. On the contrary, a non transparent dialog seems to cover and disturb too much the view.
I also experimented with different dialog layouts (both vertical and horizontal) but I was not happy with the result and decided for the current layout.
The current transparency value can however be changed at any time (and I am also thinking about a specific setting in a "preference windows" to be implemented in future) however I would also like to remind you RedGriffin ATC can be fully operated with keyboard and without even opening the dialog, just in case.
I too sometimes think the dialog is "covering too much" and that's why I implemented the keyboard support for all functions and operations (including getting information about the current status).

I hope you will have the time and chance to test Red Griffin ATC 1.1.0 which has been released right today.

Thank you.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby RobAndrew » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:12 pm

Hey, So talking of Dialog...

Do you think this is possible for AAR (In flight refueling) as well? I am halfway through working on a decent AI Tanker which is programable and predictable. The only thing it is missing is a dialog for pre-contact, hook up and departure. I'm guessing it is as it goes along the same lines as ATC. Although I wouldn't have thought it is half as complex!
RobAndrew

Version: 2017.3.1

PreviousNext

Return to New features