Board index FlightGear Development New features

Red Griffin ATC - Speaking ATC addon for Flightgear

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Red Griffin ATC - Speaking ATC addon for Flightgear

Postby RedGriffin » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:57 pm

I am very glad to announce I have released Red Griffin ATC 2.1.0 - 2 January 2021.

You can download the latest version, as usual, from the sourceforge repository.
You are invited to test it and report your feedback and suggestions.

This is the changelog for version 2.1.0 - 2 January 2021

- Added menubar item "on/off"
    - Improved "too low" and "towards terrain" warnings
    - Added squawking
    - Weather information is now completely based on user settings (live-data or scenario preset)
    - Added information identification to departure information
    - Added approach slope angle to settings
    - Added aircraft type auto detection to settings according to /sim/tags
    - Altitude of approach point is now determined according to the slope angle

I also updated the wiki page with full instructions and detailed information about the main and setting dialogs.

For a full description and instructions on how to install the addon, please refer to the Readme file or the first message of this thread.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
Author and developer of Red Griffin ATC (Wiki) - Enjoy my Youtube Channel
RedGriffin

Callsign: IK0TOJ
Version: 2020.4 git

Postby agathosdaimon » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:28 pm

hi, thanks for this addon - i have put it into the game, and its working fine but how do i turn it off? the robotic female voice just keeps talking and i am hearing it talking to every plane in the airport, which is a lot, - it is becoming very painful after a while to hear.
I select the options to turn it off, i i select to make everythign text only in the settings, but it still keeps talking, also the text on the screen is blocking the UI menus - how do i stop this?
agathosdaimon

Postby agathosdaimon » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:14 pm

okay sorry i am new at this, i see if i put the GND frequency on COM1 to standby that incessant chatter stops,

my next quiestion is how do i request a taxi - hit the request a tax button but the ATC just always tells me "negative" "you are not in this airfield" - not sure why it tells me this when i am parked at LAX and speaking with LAX gnd
agathosdaimon

Postby awen » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:01 am

I just noticed a bug in this version. If a frequency ends in .005, and the aircraft cannot display the last digit, the ATC stops working. For example, the c152 made by awall086 only has five digits in COM1. A frequency ending .825 will be .83 if selected from RGATC or .82 if tuned from the COM. Even if I manually enter .825 in the navigation setting window (F12), the ATC still does not recognize it. I'm not sure if this is related to the ATC or the specific model.

Additionally, this model only has OFF/STBY/ON/ALT in the squawk code panel. There is no IDENT, so the ATC keeps asking me to ident although I have selected the ALT mode. Is there any way I can get rid of the prompt? Thanks for your development! I'm pretty new to this addon and keep learning about the various functions.
awen

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby RedGriffin » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:03 am

agathosdaimon wrote in Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:28 pm:hi, thanks for this addon - i have put it into the game, and its working fine but how do i turn it off? the robotic female voice just keeps talking and i am hearing it talking to every plane in the airport, which is a lot, - it is becoming very painful after a while to hear.
I select the options to turn it off, i i select to make everythign text only in the settings, but it still keeps talking, also the text on the screen is blocking the UI menus - how do i stop this?

Hello there!
The "on/off" function in Red Griffin ATC is exclusively related to Red Griffin ATC and not to FlightGear's ATC, ATIS and other speaking facilities.

agathosdaimon wrote in Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:14 pm:okay sorry i am new at this, i see if i put the GND frequency on COM1 to standby that incessant chatter stops,

This is always working both for Red Griffin ATC and FlightGear speaking facilities: if you turn the radio off of tune to a frequency not belonging to any station around, the "chatter" stops.

agathosdaimon wrote in Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:14 pm:my next quiestion is how do i request a taxi - hit the request a tax button but the ATC just always tells me "negative" "you are not in this airfield" - not sure why it tells me this when i am parked at LAX and speaking with LAX gnd

You request a taxi permission by first tuning to the relative airport radio and you need to physically be in that very airport..
I just tried this myself in KLAX (I guess you mean KLAX when you say LAX) and everything is working as planned and expected. I tuned to Ground radio at 121.75, requested taxi instruction and I was given both taxi permission and instructions.

In case you need more help, let me know.

Thank you for using Red Griffin ATC!

Kind regards.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby RedGriffin » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:19 am

awen wrote in Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:01 am:I just noticed a bug in this version. If a frequency ends in .005, and the aircraft cannot display the last digit, the ATC stops working. For example, the c152 made by awall086 only has five digits in COM1. A frequency ending .825 will be .83 if selected from RGATC or .82 if tuned from the COM. Even if I manually enter .825 in the navigation setting window (F12), the ATC still does not recognize it. I'm not sure if this is related to the ATC or the specific model.

Hello there!
Unfortunately this is a bug I personally found in many aircraft and it depends on the radio implementation in any specific aircraft. Red Griffin ATC strictly relies on FlightGear's properties and what the aircraft writes in there. As for C152, I see it uses a 0.025MHz step: you can easily check this in the property browser. Try to enter your ".825" frequency in the radio settings panel (F12) and see what is the actual value of the frequency in the property browser (for COM1, it is /instrumentation/comm/frequencies/selected-mhz)

awen wrote in Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:01 am:Additionally, this model only has OFF/STBY/ON/ALT in the squawk code panel. There is no IDENT, so the ATC keeps asking me to ident although I have selected the ALT mode. Is there any way I can get rid of the prompt? Thanks for your development! I'm pretty new to this addon and keep learning about the various functions.

I personally checked this and I can confirm C152's transponder has the IDENT button. It is located right under the IDENT red light. It is that tiny dark-gray round button just under this light.

Please let me know in case you need more help.

Enjoy using Red Griffin ATC!

Kind regards.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:14 pm

agathosdaimon wrote in Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:28 pm:the robotic female voice just keeps talking and i am hearing it talking to every plane in the airport

turn off the AI craft... what you are hearing is not coming from this addon... it is coming from the sim itself...

if you want the AI but not all the chatter that comes with them, then while in-sim hit F10 to bring up the menu at the top of the screen, click File, then sound setup... in the sound configuration dialog untick the box beside AI... that will turn off all AI chatter... hopefully this addon is not using this sound path for what it does... after changing this option, you might have to restart the sim... this setting should be retained for all subsequent runs...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby RedGriffin » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:14 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:14 pm:
agathosdaimon wrote in Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:28 pm:hopefully this addon is not using this sound path for what it does...

No, my addon is not using that set of properties. It has its own on/off function which can be selected from the menu.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:18 pm

i meant the same code path that the AI sound volume is connected to...

in other words, which volume control in the in-sim F10->File->sound dialog controls how loud your addon is?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby RedGriffin » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:29 am

wkitty42 wrote in Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:18 pm:i meant the same code path that the AI sound volume is connected to...

in other words, which volume control in the in-sim F10->File->sound dialog controls how loud your addon is?

It is connected to the master, or at least this is what it seems to be.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby Hooray » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:04 pm

Actually, we just talked about supporting different sound channels in another fg1000 (moving map) related topic, i.e. where it would be useful to have some sort of mechanism/API to create/setup audio channels on demand - the use-case there was to provide device-specific volume control for different MFD avionics/instances, so that each device could configure its own volume (possibly by channel), so that different devices can use different settings - actually the OP seems to be a flight instructor:
ID Function on FG1000
LowFiveJoe wrote:Quick question on the FG1000. On startup (in the J3 Glass cockpit), the VOR station morse code is functioning 5.0. Problem is, I can't turn the volume down. I've read the online guide, but must be missing something. The little knob [Vol Push ID] doesn't seem to do anything even though it shows up as functional [Ctrl C]. Not a big deal, but annoying.

So if RGATC could also benefit from such a feature (on demand creation of custom audio channels with their own volume control), it might make sense to raise this on the devel list and/or file a ticket at the tracker: https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/codetickets/
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby RedGriffin » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:56 pm

Hooray wrote in Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:04 pm:So if RGATC could also benefit from such a feature (on demand creation of custom audio channels with their own volume control), it might make sense to raise this on the devel list and/or file a ticket at the tracker: https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/codetickets/

RGATC would certainly benefit from this feature for sure. Speech synthesis and audio are now my main goals for my addon. I am currently experimenting with festival and this is giving Red Griffin ATC a truly new life and bringing quite a step forward in realism. (a demo video is about to be released very soon)
Unfortunately, festival is quite slow in many regards and this also brings new issues in synchronizing text with speech. I am currently tweaking festival (with which I am very used and accustomed to since many years now because of my job in sound and speech synthesis) and I am also thinking about integrating the latest FLite into FlightGear over Flite+hts which is quite outdated. I am however giving festival higher priority because of its more realistic speech synthesis.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby Hooray » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:57 pm

Actually, I forgot to mention, I response to your previous posting, I did download (clone) the github repo to obtain the latest FLITE sources and got it all working in under 5 minutes (even though out of source builds don't seem to be supported) - so I think the first step would be using that as the baseline to tinker with different voices and potentially audio profiles - this could be done in a standalone fashion, and once we have something that is working, it should be reasonably straightforward to create a merge request for FlightGear.

Like I mentioned already, festival integration used to have pretty high priority, until Melchior Franz left the project - so it's currently somewhat unmaintained, i.e. not that unlikely that you could be promoted to become the maintainer of the TTS component in FG, given your addon and professional background :wink:
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby RedGriffin » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:27 pm

Hooray wrote in Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:57 pm:Actually, I forgot to mention, I response to your previous posting, I did download (clone) the github repo to obtain the latest FLITE sources and got it all working in under 5 minutes (even though out of source builds don't seem to be supported) - so I think the first step would be using that as the baseline to tinker with different voices and potentially audio profiles - this could be done in a standalone fashion, and once we have something that is working, it should be reasonably straightforward to create a merge request for FlightGear.

This sounds great! Why don't you propose your FLite integration and merge to the devel mailing list? If you have Flite 2.1.0 integration already done and working, I cannot see why anyone else should do that?
I did not spend much time on FLite integration in FlightGear as Festival realism is much better than Flite, although I understand it is easier to implement in FG. I understand Festival is not for everyone, not to mention is notably slower than FLite.
Why don't you propose your job to be merged in FlightGear? Flite+hts is really both limited and outdated, so FLite 2.1.0 would be a very nice step forward in FlightGear speech synthesis support.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby Hooray » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:55 pm

No, sorry - I need to clarify: I only experimented with the standalone FLITE installation, I didn't even touch flightgear at all.
My suggestion was to experiment with the standalone version and see how far we can with that.

On the other hand, you are right about festival however - so one option here might be to set up a central festival server (analogous to MP servers) and then allow fgfs clients/users to use a central festival installation - to transmit the corresponding audio via FGCOM/Discord respectively (or some other dedicated protocol).

I think this will provide the most bang for the buck, as it could be enormously customized for aviation use (phraselogy, different voices, airport/terrain awareness etc) - because festival could be running as a docker container, alongside to fgms/fgcom and use a ton of info that is otherwise not easily available (traffic!)

PS: As far as I can tell, festival can also be linked in as a C++ library - so that might be another option for self-contained deployment.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

PreviousNext

Return to New features