Board index FlightGear Development Add-ons

Red Griffin ATC - Speaking ATC addon for Flightgear

FlightGear has support for add-ons, to further extend the simulator's core functionality.

Re: Red Griffin ATC - Speaking ATC addon for Flightgear

Postby fervi » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:10 pm

Red Griffin ATC already have support for large/military jets. You can take a look at the settings dialog, aircraft type. Setting the proper aircraft type is very important in Red Griffin ATC. You may consider to leave this setting to "auto" and let Red Griffin ATC determine your aircraft type accordingly.

Yep, What I mean is that (I think so when I used to play MSFS2002 and watched different videos :P) that if a plane is heavy (has a lot of weight) you add "Heavy" to Callsign. For example - "LOT 001 Heavy, climb to altitude ...", and when it burns fuel and the weight drops, then you can switch to normal terminology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_(aeronautics)
fervi

Postby RedGriffin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:37 pm

Hooray wrote in Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:09 pm:So you may want to use the Nasal console to see what a dump returns.

As far as I can tell, by using debug.dump, airport.taxiways is empty 99.9% of the times. I tried with KNUQ and it simply returns an array of "taxiways strings".
Despite of that, you would need interconnections of taxiways in order to determine the proper route from apron to runway. And, as far as I can tell, these information is stored in the <airport ICAO code>.groundnet.xml and are not available in nasal.
airport.taxiways object in nasal provides only:

id: Name of taxiway.
    lat: Latitude of the taxiway.
    lon: Longitude of the taxiway.
    heading: Heading of the taxiway.
    length: Length of the taxiway in metres.
    width: Width of the taxiway in metres.
    surface: Taxiway surface type.

and, in case taxiways would be available in airportinfo, the information are not enough in order to compute a valid route as they lack of any information on how they are connected one to each other.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
Author and developer of Red Griffin ATC (Wiki) - Enjoy my Youtube Channel
RedGriffin

Callsign: IK0TOJ
Version: 2020.4 git

Postby Hooray » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:55 pm

Just to be clear about it, while the screen shot I posted dates back to around ~2012, it did definitely parse/process and create the corresponding Canvas taxiway chart in Nasal space - that was one of the reasons why it was so extremely slow, and disabled at the time - in fact, we used KNUQ as the test case to optimize the Canvas system.

So, while I haven't been following FlightGear core development recently, I do think that the underlying infrastructure still is in place - and James' comments also indicate just that (I believe he wrote most of the original FGPositioned APIs, which Tom susequently ported to use CppBind instead).

That being said, at the time, we discontinued the taxiway layer due to its runtime cost (it being processed in Nasal space), and instead suggested to expose the Canvas element base class (sc::Element) to scripting space, so that new layers (Canvas elements) could be directly prototyped in scripting space using property rules. I don't know if any of that materialized or not, but Stuart seems to have used the Canvas system to create rather sophisticated avionics (see the FG1000).

And given your use-case here, the underlying APIs would obviously remain useful regardless of any specific application.
In fact, at some point, a handful of core devs were contemplating to make shapefiles directly accessible to Nasal/Canvas space.

Again, if in doubt, check back with Zakalawe above, since he wrote most of the original navdb related code.

In the meantime, you could also use the Nasal console to run a MapStructure dialog with taxiways enabled, and open KNUQ: https://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_Snip ... o_a_Canvas

EDIT: I just checked $FG_ROOT/gui/dialogs/airports.xml doing just that, and here's what I am getting (without having any terrasync/scenery installed):

(And I am really sure that this stuff is processed in scripting space, because I used to code up that stuff back then)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Andrew12345 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:23 pm

Thanks man! This really helped I was trying to figure that out!
Andrew12345

Postby Michat » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:08 pm

Good Evening.
Just reporting that both users, Hormax and Miguel, have told me that when flying the C-172 they receive an incorrect speed vector, higher than the nominal speed, impossible to reach with that plane. Speed 190 (no unit).
Testing airport was GCLP.

Thanks
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby RedGriffin » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:16 am

Michat wrote in Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:08 pm:Good Evening.
Just reporting that both users, Hormax and Miguel, have told me that when flying the C-172 they receive an incorrect speed vector, higher than the nominal speed, impossible to reach with that plane. Speed 190 (no unit).
Testing airport was GCLP.

Hello there,
did you properly set aircraft type in settings dialog? Please read here: https://wiki.flightgear.org/Red_Griffin ... nal_Values

As you can see 190 knots is used for large/military jet and special military only.
You can leave aircraft type set to "auto" and have Red Griffin ATC automatically determine your aircraft type. And it works perfectly with C172P (which is a small single engine aircraft)

Kind regards.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby Michat » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:05 pm

Roger, that makes sense. Will check it.

Thank you.
Michat

Postby RedGriffin » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:33 pm

Hello there!
I have across to this nice video about Red Griffin ATC and I thought it might be interesting to the community, in particular to Polish speaking users.
I do not speak Polish, so I do not know whether the one who made the video is happy about Red Grifin ATC or not, however it shows how to install and use the plugin.
No matter of this, it is always interesting to see how my addon is used and how users interact with it. This gives me valuable feedback about further improvements.

Enjoy Red Griffin ATC!

Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby RedGriffin » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:47 pm

I am very glad to announce I have released Red Griffin ATC 2.2.0 - 6 March 2021, introducing Festival Speech Synthesis System support.

You can download the latest version, as usual, from the sourceforge repository.
You are invited to test it and report your feedback and suggestions.

This is the changelog for version 2.2.0 - 6 March 2021

• Voices are now assigned at random from the whole pool of voices available in the property tree. This will give the sensation of speaking to different operators, especially when used with Festival server and providing a fairly good number of different voices with custom properties in /sim/sound/voices/voice[x]. Pilot voice is always assigned to the voice having in the description the tag "pilot". This voice is exclusively assigned to the pilot and excluded from the pool of random voices.
    • Added support for festival server. In case /sim/sound/voices/voice[x]/festival is true and festival is initialized with audio async mode (audio_mode 'async) in /sim/sound/voices/voice[x]/preamble, Red Griffin ATC will split text in multiple parts and send them all in sequence to festival in order to provide a quicker response (actually, creating utterances while speaking), otherwise text is sent to the speech synthetizer (internal flite-hts or festival) in just one string.
    • Improved algorithm in getApproachingRunway() to determine the right runway in case of parallel runways
    • Changed most of getprop and setprop to Nasal global.props functions
    • Improved COM radio detection and usability

I also updated the wiki page with full instructions and detailed information about the main and setting dialogs.

For a full description and instructions on how to install the addon, please refer to the Readme file or the first message of this thread.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby Michat » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:54 pm

The above video is wonderful and perfectly shows the user experience, installation and use. It certainly has to give an impression to see how a third party evaluates your software for 1h 47m. It has impressed me. Congratulations to user SP-ROM for his excellent channel broadcasting ASMR vibrations to us. As well as you for proliferating your work among us.

Michat

Postby abassign » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:22 am

I tray to change the volume with /instrumentation/comm/volume property, but in reality nothing changes.
What mistake am I making?
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby RedGriffin » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:12 pm

Michat wrote in Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:54 pm:The above video is wonderful and perfectly shows the user experience, installation and use. It certainly has to give an impression to see how a third party evaluates your software for 1h 47m. It has impressed me. Congratulations to user SP-ROM for his excellent channel broadcasting ASMR vibrations to us. As well as you for proliferating your work among us.

I was in fact very glad to see that video. I hope some new videos will be published about the new Red Griffin ATC 2.2.0.
Thank you for your support and I hope you will continue enjoying my addon.

Kindest regards.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby RedGriffin » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:14 pm

abassign wrote in Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:22 am:I tray to change the volume with /instrumentation/comm/volume property, but in reality nothing changes.
What mistake am I making?

What aircraft are you using? And why do you need to directly set the volume property and not use the relative interactive control in your aircraft?
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby marksummerfield » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:00 pm

Hi Red Griffin - My cockpit display is arranged over two monitors. The ATC Dialog box has an option to place it somewhere other than the centre of the screen (ie bottom left) however the transcript of the spoken ATC instructions appears top centre and this is right on top of my HUD compass and is split by the join in the screens - not ideal for me. Is the position of the text something that Red Griffin ATC dictates or is it bound to the main flightgear notifications? If it's Red Griffin - is there a part of your code that I could modify to place it somewhere other than the centre? If , could you point me at the relevant file. Many thanks.
marksummerfield

Callsign: MS66
Version: 2020.3.6

Postby RedGriffin » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:48 pm

marksummerfield wrote in Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:00 pm:Hi Red Griffin - My cockpit display is arranged over two monitors. The ATC Dialog box has an option to place it somewhere other than the centre of the screen (ie bottom left) however the transcript of the spoken ATC instructions appears top centre and this is right on top of my HUD compass and is split by the join in the screens - not ideal for me. Is the position of the text something that Red Griffin ATC dictates or is it bound to the main flightgear notifications? If it's Red Griffin - is there a part of your code that I could modify to place it somewhere other than the centre? If , could you point me at the relevant file. Many thanks.

Hi marksummerfield and thanks for your feedback.
I too am aware of this as I too am sometimes using a multi-monitor setup and the ATC text at top center of the "view" is not ideal.
Placing the ATC text in a different position is something planned since a quite long time now but I did not give it high priority. I am already working on a new version and having a new option in the settings dialog to be used for the ATC text position in the "view" just like the setting used for the ATC dialog.
As of version 2.2.0, ATC text is always displayed at the top center part of the view (no matter how many monitors you are using). As a quick fix, you need to modify the line at 4981 of file rgatc.nas
This will be however fixed in the next release of Red Griffin ATC with a dedicated option.

Kindest regards.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

PreviousNext

Return to Add-ons