Board index FlightGear Development Add-ons

Red Griffin ATC - Speaking ATC addon for Flightgear

FlightGear has support for add-ons, to further extend the simulator's core functionality.

Re: Red Griffin ATC - Speaking ATC addon for Flightgear

Postby RedGriffin » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:07 pm

Hooray wrote in Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:55 pm:On the other hand, you are right about festival however - so one option here might be to set up a central festival server (analogous to MP servers) and then allow fgfs clients/users to use a central festival installation - to transmit the corresponding audio via FGCOM/Discord respectively (or some other dedicated protocol).

Festival is already supported in FlightGear and works quite well. I already proposed a couple of patches in order to make it work even better. FlightGear already have support for Festival server and it works quite well. I am already using it with my Red Griffin ATC and my patches have already been integrated to the main repository.
At the moment, I am focusing on Festival instead of FLite as it provides a superior speech synthesis quality although it needs more computational time than FLite and, for this reason, it is both slower and out of sync with text. But I am working on that and hopefully come out with a reasonable solution.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
Author and developer of Red Griffin ATC (Wiki) - Enjoy my Youtube Channel
RedGriffin

Callsign: IK0TOJ
Version: 2020.4 git

Postby Hooray » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:09 pm

The point was using a central/common (=shared) festival server rather than one locally running - so that we could reduce the setup overhead for less tech-savvy folks (which is also why I mentioned the library option, i.e. linking against festival rather than requiring it to be set up separately)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby RedGriffin » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:24 pm

Hello everyone!
I am currently working to Red Griffin ATC version 2.2.0 and, in particular, I am focusing on giving it a better speech synthesis support.
For this reason I am focusing on Festival Speech Synthesizer (http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival) which server mode is supported in FlightGear.
Festival server allows up to ten simultaneous connections therefore allowing the definition of ten different voice profiles.
This feature will give Red Griffin ATC the possibility to assign a different voice to each radio station therefore improving realism and giving the impression of talking to different operators. Pilot too, of course, has his or her own voice.
It should be noted Festival is evidently slower than the FLite+HTS built in FlightGear, however its flexibility and wide range of voices provide both a better flexibility and superior quality. In order to have it work "on time" and synchronized with Red Griffin ATC, I had to both tweak with Festival and change my addon in a way it can provide data to Festival while allowing it to process utterances in advance and in time when the message pops up in the screen.
Please note this is just a new mode for Red Griffin ATC and the support to the internal FlightGear speech synthesizer is of course valid and maintained. Red Griffin ATC will actually detect the speech synthesizer in use and work accordingly.
This video shows the progress in development so far for the upcoming version 2.2.0.

Comments and feedback are warmly welcome, as usual.

Enjoy the video!
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby Michat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:36 pm

Pretty cool result with festival.

29.92 for you.
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby RedGriffin » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:50 pm

Michat wrote in Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:36 pm:Pretty cool result with festival.

29.92 for you.

Thank you very much. I am glad you appreciate it.

Kindest regards.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby miguel » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:07 pm

good afternoon; Red Griffin I'm miguel.
I haven't used " Red Griffin for a long time.
I left yesterday at LEIB airport with the Cessna-208B, this happened.
**WARNING: This aircraft¨s radio is unusable**.

This is a great aircraft to fly with R.G. Is there any solution. Thanks

miguel
miguel

Postby RedGriffin » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:16 pm

miguel wrote in Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:07 pm: I left yesterday at LEIB airport with the Cessna-208B, this happened.
**WARNING: This aircraft¨s radio is unusable**.

This is a great aircraft to fly with R.G. Is there any solution. Thanks

Hello Miguel!
I tested and checked Cessna 208B and, unfortunately, I confirm the radio implementation for this aircraft is incomplete and therefore unusable in Red Griffin ATC.
You can check it yourself by using the internal property browser from the debug menu. Check /instrumentation/comm and you will see this aircraft's radio has a quite minimal and incomplete set of properties.
The solution for this is to have Cessna-208B's developer to revise and properly implement the whole radio equipment.

I hope you will enjoy Red Griffin ATC with other aircraft.

Kind regards.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby agathosdaimon » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:17 am

off topic, but what is the scenery in the video you posted above regarding festival? it looks great, is that part of the normal FG download or something custom?
agathosdaimon

Postby RedGriffin » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:09 pm

agathosdaimon wrote in Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:17 am:off topic, but what is the scenery in the video you posted above regarding festival? it looks great, is that part of the normal FG download or something custom?

I am using orthophoto imagery thanks to a recently committed patch in the git next branch. Git next also uses FG scenery 3.0 which is going to be part of the mainline and stable distribution, I guess, sometime soon.
For more information, you can refer to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37866

Kind regards.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby Michat » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:07 am

Hello Miguel!
I tested and checked Cessna 208B and, unfortunately, I confirm the radio implementation for this aircraft is incomplete and therefore unusable in Red Griffin ATC.
You can check it yourself by using the internal property browser from the debug menu. Check /instrumentation/comm and you will see this aircraft's radio has a quite minimal and incomplete set of properties.
The solution for this is to have Cessna-208B's developer to revise and properly implement the whole radio equipment.

Howdy Red Griffin.
Do you have an standard for radio compatibility to /instrumentation/comm property set ?

Today we were checking code from Cessna 208B, I founded spaguetty structure file, while the radio structure it seems defined, it's clear that is not working, Meanwhile we checked the working Cessna 337, which have much simpler structure file, radiofiles and so on.

I wonder if RGRadio does have compatibility issue, like something related with freq digit hz step factor or bias, can you confirm you can operate full macro and micro steeps ?

Watching so much differences among and within aircraft files and folders of both Cessnas, i wonder again if there is some standard. Because we got crazy :shock: comparing code. :shock:

Do we have an aircraft relation list estimation of how much official hangar and possible other third party hangars aircraft are involved on this issue ? I guess we don't, In some automatic fashion, we should check them all, creating a report.

it is not going to be that we have to face a collective problem of greater magnitude, that has to be scaled at the request of a specific development team, since we can agree that we want maximum compatibility with RG and the official hangar, but also where possible with the most plausible third-party aircraft. RG being a program that is maturing every day. If we cannot find a way to generate an automated report of compatible aircraft, count on our help, we will test them one by one if necessary.

On the other hand, I want to share with you a couple of programs mentioned in the forum that I think can help you with certain ideas.

http://www.vfrflight.org/. It is an excellent program that has, among other wonderful functions, the ability to use OPENAIP files https://www.openaip.net/node/2762284 , in case you adapt IFR standards or procedures in the future. That is why I share with you this other excellent program mentioned in the forum.
https://pilot2atc.com/Tutorials in some kind similar to RGAtc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJc-_qpX53c min 10:14.

Michat

Postby RedGriffin » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:16 pm

Michat wrote in Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:07 am:Howdy Red Griffin.

Hello there Michat and thanks for your support and interest in Red Griffin ATC.

Michat wrote in Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:07 am:Do you have an standard for radio compatibility to /instrumentation/comm property set ?

Red Griffin ATC tries to provide a fairly good simulation degree also in relation to radio use and operational procedures. As of Version 2.2.0 - which is under development - Red Griffin ATC uses and relies on the following radio properties for each COM radio:

• /instrumentation/comm/serviceable
    • /instrumentation/comm/signal-quality-norm
    • /instrumentation/comm/volume
    • /instrumentation/comm/volume-selected
    • /instrumentation/comm/power-btn
    • /instrumentation/comm/airport-id
    • /instrumentation/comm/station-name
    • /instrumentation/comm/frequencies/selected-mhz
    • /instrumentation/comm/track-distance-m
    • /instrumentation/comm/true-bearing-to-deg

The above properties all have a more or less important role in Red Griffin ATC although some are used as alternative and mutual data source, such as /instrumentation/comm/volume and /instrumentation/comm/volume-selected
The same, of course, applies to comm[1] and comm[2].

Michat wrote in Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:07 am:I wonder if RGRadio does have compatibility issue, like something related with freq digit hz step factor or bias, can you confirm you can operate full macro and micro steeps ?

Red Griffin ATC reads and uses the values provided by FlightGear properties and uses them "as they are". This mainly depends on how the aircraft implementation copes with those properties, including frequency step factor and bias.

Michat wrote in Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:07 am:Watching so much differences among and within aircraft files and folders of both Cessnas, i wonder again if there is some standard. Because we got crazy :shock: comparing code. :shock:

As for standard radio implementation, my reference aircraft is Cessna 172P which seems to have - as far as I can tell - the most complete and functional radio implementation. Having said that, I can tell there are a lot of aircraft having a good and reliable radio implementation and those provided by the main hangar usually have.
As far as I can tell and according to my experience in developing Red Griffin ATC, many aircraft available in "external" repositories have buggy or incomplete radio implementation and, of course, do not work with Red Griffin ATC because one or many fundamental radio properties are missing or have wrong data.

Michat wrote in Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:07 am:Do we have an aircraft relation list estimation of how much official hangar and possible other third party hangars aircraft are involved on this issue ? I guess we don't, In some automatic fashion, we should check them all, creating a report.

As far as I can tell, each aircraft is a "world on its own" and radio implementation is anything but standard procedure. Some aircraft have very good radio implementation, others have quite an incomplete or buggy implementation.

Michat wrote in Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:07 am:http://www.vfrflight.org/. It is an excellent program that has, among other wonderful functions, the ability to use OPENAIP files https://www.openaip.net/node/2762284 , in case you adapt IFR standards or procedures in the future. That is why I share with you this other excellent program mentioned in the forum.
https://pilot2atc.com/Tutorials in some kind similar to RGAtc

Thank you for suggesting and sharing those sites. As for vfrflight, I too use it for planning my flights and it very good. It is not the only one I use, though, but it is one of my main options in planning a flight.
openaip too is a site I frequently use and IFR support in Red Griffin ATC is planned for development. Like I said in other posts, I want Red Griffin ATC to be both a complete and reliable ATC plugin although, at the moment, it is mainly focused on VFR, although it is already using and considering data entered in the route manager.
As for pilot2atc, it seems it is a quite different project and with different goals from Red Griffin ATC, however it can certainly be a good source for ideas and of course any idea and feedback from users and friends here are equally important.

Thank you for using and supporting Red Griffin ATC!

Kindest regards.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby Michat » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:14 pm

Hi again.

We are putting together a couple of lists, a list of aircraft that work with RG and another with aircraft that do not work properly with RG. I ask if it would be useful to post them on the first page of RG in our forum, so that both the user and the developer have proof of what works and what needs to be improved.

Michat

Postby RedGriffin » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:47 am

Michat wrote in Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:14 pm:Hi again.

We are putting together a couple of lists, a list of aircraft that work with RG and another with aircraft that do not work properly with RG. I ask if it would be useful to post them on the first page of RG in our forum, so that both the user and the developer have proof of what works and what needs to be improved.

Hello there!
I think the best place for publishing such a useful list would be the wiki. It would in fact be easier to maintain and let users and developers to find up-to-date information. I am sure you know everyone can contribute to the wiki and I guess you already have an account for it.
I will certainly be my pleasure to add the link of this list in the first post of this thread as well as in Red Griffin ATC wiki page and documentation, and of course giving credit to you for your job.

Thank you for your time and please let me know about your research on Red Griffin ATC compatible aircraft.

Kindest regards,
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby Michat » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:22 pm

Agree with that Antonello.

This is the starting point: https://wiki.flightgear.org/Red_Griffin ... d_Aircraft

If the lists became too large, we'll consider to use an anexus page or similar.

As standad reference I pointed to c172 repo at https://github.com/c172p-team/c172p/blob/master/Models/Interior/Panel/Instruments/kx165/kx165-1.xml

Tell me if it's okay for you.

Thanks.

29.92 and LOL for the new wiki 4.0 or so. :mrgreen:
Michat

Postby RedGriffin » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:19 am

Michat wrote in Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:22 pm:Agree with that Antonello.

This is the starting point: https://wiki.flightgear.org/Red_Griffin ... d_Aircraft

If the lists became too large, we'll consider to use an anexus page or similar.

Hello Michat and thank you for your valuable contribution.
I updated the wiki page of Red Griffin ATC and also created a new page dedicated to the aircraft compatibility list in the fashion you suggested.
I think it is better to have this list on a separate page in order to maintain a good readability of Red Griffin ATC wiki page as the list could become very long.

The compatibility list is found here: https://wiki.flightgear.org/Red_Griffin_ATC_Aircraft_Compatibility

As you can see I also added a link for each aircraft to the corresponding wiki page (in case the aircraft has one) but you can also use an external link whenever possible. I believe this will provide a better reference to everyone.
I also added the compatibility list link to the first message of this thread and, of course, in Red Griffin ATC wiki page.

Thank you for your help and support. Please let me know what you think.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

PreviousNext

Return to Add-ons