Board index FlightGear Development Add-ons

Red Griffin ATC - Speaking ATC addon for Flightgear

FlightGear has support for add-ons, to further extend the simulator's core functionality.

Re: Red Griffin ATC - Speaking ATC addon for Flightgear

Postby RedGriffin » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:16 pm

iq2gamer wrote in Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:57 pm:This is a great addon for ATC when there is non on a mp server. One request, would it be possible to have the option to set a custom flight limit? As someone that likes flying commercial jets, its unrealistic to have to call every 2000 feet for a flight level change.

Hello there,
flight levels change in Red Griffin ATC follow VFR conventions providing for - as far as I know - for 2000 feet levels.
I understand airliners may follow different rules as they usually flies at higher altitudes. What kind of rule would you suggest in case of airliners? Is there a specific protocol/convention to be used to airliners and commercial flights?

Thank you for your support.

Kindest regards.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
Author and developer of Red Griffin ATC (Wiki) - Enjoy my Youtube Channel
RedGriffin

Callsign: IK0TOJ
Version: 2020.4 git

Postby Bjoern » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:14 pm

FIling a flight plan with ATC usually includes a defined flight level at which the flight plan will be executed.
ATC will either assign that flight level directly after takeoff or provide intermediate altitude clearances if there are SID restrictions or if there is potential for conflict with other traffic.
Once at the assigned flight level from a flight plan, aircraft may request a new flight level to take advantage of better winds at other altitudes or for other reasons. ATC then either grants or denies the request, mostly on grounds of retaining a safe separation to other traffic.
Upon descent, ATC will again clear the flight for intermediate altitudes because of STAR restrictions or other traffic. If it's the pilot's lucky day, ATC may issue a direct clearance from cruise altitude all the way down to the runway at pilot's discretion, leaving him/her to perform the descent as he/she pleases.

I've lost a bit of track regarding RGATC's development state. Does it support flight plans by now or is it still VFR only?
Bjoern

Version: Next

Postby RedGriffin » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:42 am

Bjoern wrote in Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:14 pm:FIling a flight plan with ATC usually includes a defined flight level at which the flight plan will be executed.

Hello Bjoern,
this is what I knew about and ATC usually follow the flight plan provided by the pilot. I guess @iq2gamer was asking about the possibility to have arbitrary or custom flight levels directly entered from Red Griffin ATC dialog. However, yes, in case you have a flight plan, you should not have such a need.

Bjoern wrote in Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:14 pm:I've lost a bit of track regarding RGATC's development state. Does it support flight plans by now or is it still VFR only?

Yes. Red Griffin ATC has flight plan support concerning altitudes. In case you have entered a flight plan, the ATC will use those altitude information and according to each waypoint. Flight plans are however supported in a very basic way and only for altitude changes. I am planning to extend the support as soon as I start developing the integration with FlightGear AI traffic.

Kindest regards.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby Bjoern » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:15 pm

RedGriffin wrote in Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:42 am:I guess @iq2gamer was asking about the possibility to have arbitrary or custom flight levels directly entered from Red Griffin ATC dialog. However, yes, in case you have a flight plan, you should not have such a need.

That would be nice to have. The 2000 ft increments are a bit restrictive.

Yes. Red Griffin ATC has flight plan support concerning altitudes. In case you have entered a flight plan, the ATC will use those altitude information and according to each waypoint. Flight plans are however supported in a very basic way and only for altitude changes. I am planning to extend the support as soon as I start developing the integration with FlightGear AI traffic.

Need to check for that the next time I try FG.
Bjoern

Version: Next

Postby ruhuna » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:27 am

Hey, Thank you very much for Red Griffin ATC. It's absolutely brilliant and I really enjoy using it (started using it only recently). It makes you feel 'realistic'.
Thanks for a job well done.
ruhuna
ruhuna

Postby RedGriffin » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:57 am

ruhuna wrote in Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:27 am:Hey, Thank you very much for Red Griffin ATC. It's absolutely brilliant and I really enjoy using it (started using it only recently). It makes you feel 'realistic'.
Thanks for a job well done.
ruhuna

Hello there!
I am glad you like my addon and I hope you will continue enjoying Red Griffin ATC. Please feel free to post your comments and feedback here.
Any help or idea is always welcome.

Happy flying with Red Griffin ATC! :-)
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby ruhuna » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:05 am

Hi there,
Sometimes when I try to land I am told to leave the CTR as I don't have approval. This does not happen all the time. When I fly to an airport how do I get CTR approval.
Thanks in advance. regards,
ruhuna
ruhuna

Postby RedGriffin » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:26 am

ruhuna wrote in Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:05 am:Hi there,
Sometimes when I try to land I am told to leave the CTR as I don't have approval. This does not happen all the time. When I fly to an airport how do I get CTR approval.
Thanks in advance. regards,
ruhuna

Hello there,
when you are about to enter in a new CTR you need to request approval to the ATC controlling it. You cannot request landing or ILS approach if you are not allowed to fly in a CTR.
To get CTR approval you need to push the "Request CTR" button in Red Griffin ATC main dialog (bottom left) and make sure the selected COM radio is tuned to the station associated to the CTR. You always have CTR information, including its radio frequency, in the middle part of the main dialog window.

Kindest regards.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby ruhuna » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:21 am

Got you, thanks a lot! :)
ruhuna

Postby scarymovie » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:16 am

Hi RedGriffin,

I hope you are doing well.

I am trying to get RGATC to work with Festival (Finally I got the time to do that! :D ). But I have no idea how can I use the voice I want for eg Ground. I ran Festival.exe --server and started FG with --config=<path_to_addon>/RedGriffinATC/festival.xml. All good. I could hear myself (pilot) speaking in a male voice. But the ATC was still speaking in the usual female voice. I have explored the wiki page but am too dumb to understand anything. In festival.xml, what should be assigned to <desc> for Ground ATC?

Thank you.

Regards.
scarymovie

Postby RedGriffin » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:04 am

scarymovie wrote in Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:16 am:I am trying to get RGATC to work with Festival (Finally I got the time to do that! :D ). But I have no idea how can I use the voice I want for eg Ground. I ran Festival.exe --server and started FG with --config=<path_to_addon>/RedGriffinATC/festival.xml. All good. I could hear myself (pilot) speaking in a male voice. But the ATC was still speaking in the usual female voice. I have explored the wiki page but am too dumb to understand anything. In festival.xml, what should be assigned to <desc> for Ground ATC?

Hello there!
I am glad you managed to install festival in your system and that you are getting at least one voice working. That certainly means festival is working right.
As for "ground" voice, Red Griffin ATC do not allow specifying a voice for ATC facilities and you can only specify a voice for the pilot. As for the ATC voices, Red Griffin ATC assigns voices on a random basis and from the pool of voices defined in the "festival.xml" file, pilot voice excluded.
The festival.xml file provided with the distribution package references to some of the voices available for Festival and which can be loaded in festvox website and reported in the wiki page.
You are hearing the "default female voice" in case the Festival voice defined in "festival.xml" file is not available in your system. The configuration file (and FlightGear itself) uses the default female voice in case it fails to find a Festival voice (that is, a Festival server voice).
You can of course edit the "festival.xml" file as described here or you can install the Festival voices used in the festival.xml file.

Enjoy Red Griffin ATC and Festival!

Kindest regards.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby scarymovie » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:12 pm

Well, I guess I gonna find a way to install those Festival voices on my Windows 10 machine.

Thank you, Red Griffin.
scarymovie

Postby RedGriffin » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:29 pm

scarymovie wrote in Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:12 pm:Well, I guess I gonna find a way to install those Festival voices on my Windows 10 machine.

Thank you, Red Griffin.

I do not use windows so I do not know what you should exactly do with festival in that system. I am a proud Unix geek and I am very happy for not touching windows at all.
I however guess Festival installation is the same regardless of the system and installing Festival in a Unix-like system is somewhat different from windows.
You can take a look here, tough: https://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/manual/festival_toc.html#TOC16
You first need to know where the Festival voice path is in your system (you may use the "libdir" command, for example) and then extract the voice files in that directory.
I could tell you festival voices are installed in "/usr/share/festival/voices" directory, but this applies to Linux box and that would not certainly work for you because it is my local configuration/condition.
Most of the times, the voice installation path is the result of "libdir" command with "voices" appended to it. But I do not know whether this is true for your windows installation. That's why I can only be "vague" because each Festival installation is a case on its own and you need to check what it is in your system.
In case this helps, the "festival.xml" file distributed with Red Griffin ATC requires these festival voices to be installed and they are all "standard voices" which can be downloaded from festvox/festival websites:

• voice_cmu_us_rms_cg
    • voice_cmu_us_eey_cg
    • voice_cmu_us_bdl_cg
    • voice_cmu_us_rxr_cg
    • voice_cmu_us_clb_cg
    • voice_cmu_us_jmk_cg
    • voice_cmu_us_lnh_cg
    • voice_cmu_us_slt_cg
    • voice_cmu_us_ljm_cg

voice_cmu_us_rms_cg is the voice used for the pilot whereas the other ones are used for the ATC services.

I am glad if I can be of help, however I guess a windows user/admin can help you better. Ask me everything you want about Unix and I will be glad to give an answer. :-)

Kindest regards.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby lorenz2906 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:26 am

Hola, tengo la duda si puedo usar esta red con la versión de FG 2.4, es bastante antigua, y si si puedo, como la ejecuto en el simulador?. Gracias!

Hello, I have the doubt if I can use this network with the version of FG 2.4, it is quite old, and if I can, how do I run it in the simulator? Thanks!
lorenz2906

Postby RedGriffin » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:04 pm

lorenz2906 wrote in Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:26 am:Hello, I have the doubt if I can use this network with the version of FG 2.4, it is quite old, and if I can, how do I run it in the simulator? Thanks!

Hello there,
I have never personally tested my Red Griffin ATC (I guess you mean my addon with "network") with FG 2.4 and I am afraid it would not work because some of the features in Red Griffin ATC requires pretty recent Nasal specifications/libraries and support.
You can however try it.

Kindest regards.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

PreviousNext

Return to Add-ons