Board index FlightGear Development Add-ons

Red Griffin ATC - Speaking ATC addon for Flightgear

FlightGear has support for add-ons, to further extend the simulator's core functionality.

Re: Red Griffin ATC - Speaking ATC addon for Flightgear

Postby mysako » Wed May 05, 2021 3:56 am

Thankyou both very much. Appreciate it. Looking forward to update release
MySako
mysako

Postby RedGriffin » Fri May 07, 2021 4:54 pm

I am very glad to announce I have released Red Griffin ATC 2.3.0 - 7 May 2021, introducing multiple transponders support, automatic startup, ATC log and ATC message positioning.

You can download the latest version, as usual, from the sourceforge repository.
You are invited to test it and report your feedback and suggestions.

This is the changelog for version 2.3.0 - 7 May 2021

• Added option "Open dialog at startup" in settings
    • Added option "ATC text position" in settings
    • Added option "ATC text transparency" in settings
    • Added support for multiple transponders
    • Radio frequencies now uses a three decimal digits resolution
    • Add airport city name to radio station name in case it is missing
    • Added ATC log window
    • Altitude check warning now uses a variable time according to aircraft type, current and target altitude

I also updated the wiki page with full instructions and detailed information about the new features.

For a full description and instructions on how to install the addon, please refer to the Readme file, wiki page or the first message of this thread.

Enjoy Red Griffin ATC 2.3.0!
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
Author and developer of Red Griffin ATC (Wiki) - Enjoy my Youtube Channel
RedGriffin

Callsign: IK0TOJ
Version: 2020.4 git

Postby Michat » Mon May 10, 2021 7:20 pm

Testing new RG 2.3.0 with C-2A Greyhound at LECO. RG nail it. Tester Miguel. Updated RG wiki compatible aircraft.

Michat

Version: 191b

Postby RedGriffin » Tue May 11, 2021 8:36 am

Michat wrote in Mon May 10, 2021 7:20 pm:Testing new RG 2.3.0 with C-2A Greyhound at LECO. RG nail it. Tester Miguel. Updated RG wiki compatible aircraft.

Very good!
By the way: I edited your entry, added manufacturer and added descriptions to the links.

Keep on testing and enjoying Red Griffin ATC!
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby Michat » Tue May 11, 2021 7:16 pm

That's ok. I have just followed the ibiblio nomenclature without manufacturer, while having problems to find a direct link to the airccraft's file at Helijah page frame, that you solved. Now is perfect. Thank you.

Antonello. We want to report a little problem with RG callsigns. It seems that RG changes the callsign to capital letters, While FG is case sensitive. This issue makes the user the need to change to the correct callsign on MP (case sensitive) in order to be correcttly tracked. Let's say that .i.e user miguel in FG is not the same that user MIGUEL on RG. Can you check it ?

Michat

Postby RedGriffin » Wed May 12, 2021 8:53 am

Michat wrote in Tue May 11, 2021 7:16 pm:Antonello. We want to report a little problem with RG callsigns. It seems that RG changes the callsign to capital letters, While FG is case sensitive. This issue makes the user the need to change to the correct callsign on MP (case sensitive) in order to be correcttly tracked. Let's say that .i.e user miguel in FG is not the same that user MIGUEL on RG. Can you check it ?

Callsigns are converted to uppercase (all capital letters) in order to comply to a common practice in radio communications and logging which provides for codes to be written in capital letters for better readability. This is also done in order to limit the confusion that may arise when spelling codes. This usually applies to callsigns, airport codes, lanes, radio stations and labels in general. I am sure you noticed this in airport and aviation charts as well: the ICAO code, radio stations, taxiways, routes, wayopint and labels are all written in capital letters.

Kind regards.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby wkitty42 » Wed May 12, 2021 12:07 pm

i think the point is that FG allows upper and lower case to be used but with RGATC forcing upper case, things break until the user realizes this and restarts with their callsign in all upper case...

what RG displays and writes could remain all upper case but perhaps it should allow for matching on lower and mixed case callsigns so things are not broken for the users that use lower case?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby RedGriffin » Wed May 12, 2021 5:04 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Wed May 12, 2021 12:07 pm:i think the point is that FG allows upper and lower case to be used but with RGATC forcing upper case, things break until the user realizes this and restarts with their callsign in all upper case...

I understand what you mean. I will change this and leave the callsign untouched in FG properties while converting it to uppercase for the internal use of Red Griffin ATC.

Kindest regards.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby miguel » Wed May 12, 2021 5:36 pm

OK.
I'll report back to you if everything is OK.
miguel

Postby Michat » Wed May 12, 2021 7:32 pm

That's correct.
Leave the FG callsign untouched, while if you want to follow the convention you can convert uppercase for internal use of RG. So the user i.e miguel on fg that is from Spain, and the user MIGUEL who is from Portugal do not collide on callsign over MP. Currently user miguel needs to check and rename FGMP callsign to miguel, as RG has changed his callsign to Uppers MIGUEL. If miguel user from Spain doesn't check it, he will flying on behalf of MIGUEL Portugal. However if MIGUEL (PT) tries to connect to MP he will get the message that user MIGUEL is really been used on MP, in this case by miguel (SP) whos callsign has been changed by RG to upper case affecting the user id session and the tracker data too.

Thanks & 29.92
Michat

Postby RaMat » Thu May 27, 2021 4:07 pm

Hi all!

I've been trying to use RG-ATC with at last FG ver.2020.3.8 and Cessna 337G, Piper Seneca II and Cessna 182S.
1) For example in the addon EDWO has no radio station of any kind. Is the "occupation" of such rather small airfields still to be expected?

2) For my perception, the volume of RG-ATC is very quiet. You have to turn up the main volume of the computer while reducing all other noise sources. Can you adjust this and if so how? "Menu\Sound I know and I do not mean. I am interested in the basic volume that can be adjusted with it.

3) With all sympathy, ähm understanding, for the allegedly again acutely unequally treated better half of humanity, I would like to ask the creator of this in itself beautiful addon but quite cordially to take care that I can please somehow set myself whether I (as a questioning pilot) is assigned, for example, a voice like Lorne Greene (alternatively I also take Lord Vader)! In any case a male one and not a squeak like from an overexcited teenie... :wink:

4) In the meantime going back in the RedG-ATC versions I found that in ver.2.3., 2.2., u. 2.1 the same problem exists:

If one switches off the RG-ATC radio support over MENU\RedGriffin\...ON/OFF or closes the window and switches off subsequently, one gets subsequently constantly and not ending and thus highly annoying (!) when pressing the e.g. X u. V keys on top of the screen, where otherwise also the addon's middle messages appear, the message that RedGriffin ATC is switched off and can/should be activated again over Menu (every time I hit X or V or others (?). In my humble opinion, this permanent message can be turned off for the benefit of (at least my blood pressure). I'll do it myself, please where? :?:

Otherwise, keep it up; very nice addition :!: :!:

With flying greetings :D
RaMat

Callsign: D-RAMA
Version: 2020.3.6

Postby RedGriffin » Fri May 28, 2021 10:05 am

RaMat wrote in Thu May 27, 2021 4:07 pm:Hi all!

I've been trying to use RG-ATC with at last FG ver.2020.3.8 and Cessna 337G, Piper Seneca II and Cessna 182S.

Hello there and thanks for using Red Griffin ATC!

RaMat wrote in Thu May 27, 2021 4:07 pm:1) For example in the addon EDWO has no radio station of any kind. Is the "occupation" of such rather small airfields still to be expected?

Red Griffin ATC uses FlightGear data only and does not provide any navigation information or data on its own. As far as I can tell, it seems EDWO has no radio available in FlightGear and this is why you cannot see or tune any radio in this airfield. Whether this data will be available for EDWO or not, I guess you should ask the maintainer of the scenery for that area.

RaMat wrote in Thu May 27, 2021 4:07 pm:2) For my perception, the volume of RG-ATC is very quiet. You have to turn up the main volume of the computer while reducing all other noise sources. Can you adjust this and if so how? "Menu\Sound I know and I do not mean. I am interested in the basic volume that can be adjusted with it.

Audio and sound volume is entirely managed and operated by FlightGear and Red Griffin ATC does not control this setting at all. ATC voice volume depends on how you set the volume in Menu - > File -> Sound configuration, notably "master".
As far as Red Griffin ATC is concerned, all the voice settings have the volume property set to 1.0, that is the maximum value allowed. Please note this is valid only in case you are using the internal FlightGear speech synthesizer and does not apply to Festival server.

RaMat wrote in Thu May 27, 2021 4:07 pm:3) With all sympathy, ähm understanding, for the allegedly again acutely unequally treated better half of humanity, I would like to ask the creator of this in itself beautiful addon but quite cordially to take care that I can please somehow set myself whether I (as a questioning pilot) is assigned, for example, a voice like Lorne Greene (alternatively I also take Lord Vader)! In any case a male one and not a squeak like from an overexcited teenie... :wink:

Red Griffin ATC uses the two default voices available in the internal FlightGear speech synthesizer, assigning one to the ATC and the other one to the Pilot. If you want a better "speech" experience, I strongly suggest you to install and use Festival Speech Synthesis System in your system. Red Griffin ATC offers full support to Festival and it is explained in its wiki page.
You may also enjoy this demo video in which Red Griffin ATC is using Festival Speech Synthesis System.

RaMat wrote in Thu May 27, 2021 4:07 pm:If one switches off the RG-ATC radio support over MENU\RedGriffin\...ON/OFF or closes the window and switches off subsequently, one gets subsequently constantly and not ending and thus highly annoying (!) when pressing the e.g. X u. V keys on top of the screen, where otherwise also the addon's middle messages appear, the message that RedGriffin ATC is switched off and can/should be activated again over Menu (every time I hit X or V or others (?). In my humble opinion, this permanent message can be turned off for the benefit of (at least my blood pressure). I'll do it myself, please where? :?:

This depends on whether FlightGear ATC ground controller is operating in the airfield. Red Griffin ATC is an addon and does not support (at the moment) the internal ATC ground controller provided by FlightGear which is available in some airports. When you switch Red Griffin ATC on or off from the menu, you are controlling Red Griffin ATC only and not the internal FlightGear ATC which is, in turn, controlled by the sound configuration settings.

RaMat wrote in Thu May 27, 2021 4:07 pm:Otherwise, keep it up; very nice addition :!: :!:

With flying greetings :D

Thank you! I hope will continue enjoying Red Griffin ATC!
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby RaMat » Sat May 29, 2021 9:31 am

Hi Red!
At first thank you very much for your fast answer! So far so good.

So some patience is required for some FG based problems.

The thing with the volume is one for itself. Also in comparison with other applications or sims, e.g. Silent Hunter IV (which I operated for many years before), this problem of the "basic volume" appears. After some tinkering, it can be seen that e.g. a booster or some Dolby Theater or so definitely helps. Only the only two usable ones of the first catagory I could find have side effects and I can't get Dolby installed for whatever reason. No matter; with the stock Realtek driver, I simply set the equalizer to maximum in all frequencies. Makes for the sound no change but for the volume about 50% + out. I just always have concerns to drive a setting constantly at maximum values.

I had already read up on the possibility with Festival, but didn't want to add more to the system. I have to install Festival first and then configure RG-ATC accordingly? Hm, again a small study. I probably have to come back to it. [Already now: Where to save the *xml file to be created; in FG\Data or under Addons/REdGriffinATC?] Furthermore the question arises with further on-line use (there runs also still Phi), how strongly this affects performance-reducing on the computer? At this point: isn't there a tip for a "primitive browser" that could be used for such purposes? In any case, my Firefox makes itself quite noticeable (especially with prolonged use).

Ground controller?
Does this have something to do with "Menu/Sound settings - ATC enabled Volume external"? So change this setting from enabled to external?

By the way, I will continue to use RedGriffin ATC of course - if I ever get to it.....Since no one seems to feel responsible for the "fat bumblebee" (Skymaster), which is a phantastic machine to fly, I am doing further training on how to make rain effect and cockpit lighting is sometimes helpful. Now still festival additionally, hm, well to do soon.
Many greetings
RaMat

Callsign: D-RAMA
Version: 2020.3.6

Postby RedGriffin » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:17 am

RaMat wrote in Sat May 29, 2021 9:31 am:Hi Red!

Hello RaMat!

RaMat wrote in Sat May 29, 2021 9:31 am:I had already read up on the possibility with Festival, but didn't want to add more to the system. I have to install Festival first and then configure RG-ATC accordingly? Hm, again a small study. I probably have to come back to it. [Already now: Where to save the *xml file to be created; in FG\Data or under Addons/REdGriffinATC?] Furthermore the question arises with further on-line use (there runs also still Phi), how strongly this affects performance-reducing on the computer? At this point: isn't there a tip for a "primitive browser" that could be used for such purposes? In any case, my Firefox makes itself quite noticeable (especially with prolonged use).

As written in the Wiki, your xml file can be saved anywhere in your system. You then need to tell FlightGear where your configuration file is located by using the "--config" option. I.e: --config=<your_path>/festival.xml

RaMat wrote in Sat May 29, 2021 9:31 am:Ground controller?
Does this have something to do with "Menu/Sound settings - ATC enabled Volume external"? So change this setting from enabled to external?

I do not know. I have never used that setting.

RaMat wrote in Sat May 29, 2021 9:31 am:By the way, I will continue to use RedGriffin ATC of course - if I ever get to it.....Since no one seems to feel responsible for the "fat bumblebee" (Skymaster), which is a phantastic machine to fly, I am doing further training on how to make rain effect and cockpit lighting is sometimes helpful. Now still festival additionally, hm, well to do soon.

The 337G Skymaster II is also one of my favorite aircraft to fly. Fast, versatile and reliable.

RaMat wrote in Sat May 29, 2021 9:31 am:Many greetings

Greetings from Italy and "viva l'Italia" (today it is our National Day)
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby iq2gamer » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:57 pm

This is a great addon for ATC when there is non on a mp server. One request, would it be possible to have the option to set a custom flight limit? As someone that likes flying commercial jets, its unrealistic to have to call every 2000 feet for a flight level change.
iq2gamer

PreviousNext

Return to Add-ons