Board index FlightGear Development New features

swift-connection (connecting to FSD servers like VATSIM)

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: swift-connection (connecting to FSD servers like VATSIM)

Postby Isaak » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:43 pm

Hi Lars,

I just updated swift and downloaded the audio for vatsim client, but cannot seem to connect both to each other. FG is also not listed as one of the options in the AFV settings. Should I wait for the native integration of AFV in swift to be able to communicatie with voice again or is there already a solution?

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Isaak
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby tdammers » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:56 am

I'd recommend keeping a watch on the swift discord. AFAIK, an AFV-enabled client is available as a public alpha, and that's the only way of getting it to work with Flightgear on Linux (IIRC there are alternative clients that support AFV already, including standalone voice clients, but they won't run on Linux).
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Postby Lars » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:57 pm

Sorry, I'm not informed about the current usage with swift (alpha with AFV included) or swift and the standalone-client. But the connection to flightgear should be the same.

Will test this next week.
Lars

Postby Isaak » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:06 pm

Hi Lars, and tdammers,

Thanks for your replies. I've just installed swift 0.9.3.910181036 (alpha). Audio for vatsim works fine with it. Big improvement!
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Postby Oswald » Sat May 09, 2020 5:02 pm

Hi Lars,
I am very much looking forward to using the swift-connection to do multiplayer flying with my VA friends from St. Paul Airlines, who use mainly P3d, FSX etc.
These MP flights are done via JoinFS, not VATSIM.

I have installed FG 2020.1.1, Swift and JoinFS - and I am completely lost.

Do you or does anyone have an idea or experience whether JoinFS works with Swift and on which way?

Oswald
Oswald

Postby V12 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:49 pm

Oswald :
JoinFS is only for P3D+FSX+XPlanes (plugin needed). I'm using this software for P3D+FSX flights with my son, works perfectly. JoinFS doesn't support FG. Swift should work, but I did not tested it, I have FG2019.1.2 without this feature. If I have correct informations, combination Swift + JoinFS is not possible.
Uninstall JoinFS, You don't need it. With FG use only Swift, Your friends need use Swift for P3D / FSX too.

Very short MP test via JoinFS :

If You will connect FG with P3D/FSX, You will probably observe some strange model behaviour like missing landing gear, no lights or other animations doesn't work.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Lars » Mon May 11, 2020 8:14 am

Correct.

swift can connect to a FSD-server (like the basis of VATSIM servers). You can setup your own FSD server and other users can also connect to it via swift if you want a "private environment".
Lars

Postby Isaak » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:55 am

Hi Lars, since Swift 0.9.4 I 'm having issues to connect to VATSIM. Shortly after connecting (maybe 5 seconds), FlightGear crashes. I 've run with debug, but even then there's no clue in the log as to why it crashes. I rebuilt my model set, validated and removed invalid models, but still FlightGear keeps crashing. I've tried with FG 2019.2.0, FG 2020.1.1 and FG 2020.1.2. Do you have any clue what is happening?

edit: It seems it was a model set error after all, I just recreated the set and chose 'DB ICAO' instead of 'DB data only' as the source set, and now it seems to work again. I'll report if I encounter any issues :)
Isaak

Postby Oswald » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:40 am

I'd just like to add that connection from FG 2020.1.1 to the FSD-Server X-FlightServer.net works fine.

Only once I had contact to other aircraft (briefly joined the weekly fly-in of forums.x-plane.org), it was a little bit peculiar, probably due to a slightly different altitude and location of the destination airfield and a rather limited aircraft model base from Flightgear in Swift, but connections worked and at least I could see the C172 aircrafts of the x-plane pilots.

Oswald
Oswald

Postby V12 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:45 pm

I tested connection between FG, FSX and P3Dv4.5 via Swift connected to private FSD server. Worked nice, but Swift has 3 or 4 seconds delay. This is not problem till You have 2 laptops on the desk and can observe plane's movement simultaneous. Tested with :
FSX PMDG737 NGX, DHC-6
P3Dv4.5 PMDG NGXu, DHC-6
FG 737YV, DHC-6
V12

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:36 pm

Why not contact swift - e.g. at their discord server or on their website (I believe they allow to open tickets or issues...) who can actually do something about it?

You may also be running into a low update rate of FSD rather than any actual issue - I don't believe its intended for close formation flight.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby V12 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:51 pm

I have not reason, I don't use Swift. It was only test.
V12

Postby Lars » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 pm

The delay indeed comes from the FSD servers. The protocol is very old (around 1998 or so) and AFAIR the update rate is only 5 seconds. At least for VATSIM, this will be updated in the near future to a much higher update rate.

@Isaak: There are some quirks and CTD-bugs that can happen unfortunately some times... Most of them should be fixed with the latest changes already merged in FG/next some weeks ago (but they are not in 2020.1.*). This will almost completely use the already existing FG-AI framework for controlling the planes' internal model-resolution and internal property matching.

The next big upcoming thing (still in development) will be part/light support. swift already receives part- and light-information (flaps, gear, control surfaces, beacon light, etc.) from other planes via the network. This will be mapped to FG properties so it can be displayed in the sim. For sure this is not supported by many FGDATA/AI/Aircrafts but I might work on this in the future ;)

And FYI: https://blog.swift-project.net/post/20/ ... l_changes/ For me this means that I will do much more on swift itself (GUI/core) but my focus will still be the FG connection.
Lars

Postby Oswald » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:58 pm

Hello Lars,

do you think there is an opportunity to further fill the aircraft database of swift from FG with GA and other smaller airplanes? There is the whole lot of airliners in different liveries, but apart from that I only found the C172, PA-34 and DHC-6.

Oswald
Oswald

Postby Lars » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:01 pm

Hi Oswald,

everyone can add new mappings to swift (which needs to be approved first). I have no overview of the planes in FGDATA but if there are more GA aircrafts they can be added.

See https://dev.swift-project.org/w/help/sm ... emappings/ and linked pages.
Lars

PreviousNext

Return to New features