Board index FlightGear Development New features

swift-connection (connecting to FSD servers like VATSIM)

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

swift-connection (connecting to FSD servers like VATSIM)

Postby Lars » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:14 pm

Hi all,
as some of you may have already seen this on the mailing list, I'm working on this since last November.

swift is an opensource pilot-client in development (for Windows,MacOS,Linux) wich allows connection to FSD servers and especially VATSIM servers including VATSIM voice support.

As swift uses a plugin system to support different simulators I started to work on a FlightGear implementation which is almost completly finished (mostly style changes left).

This allows to connect to VATSIM with a single program, using ATC and having correct modelmatching and interpolation.

Further details and a video can be found here: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Swift
Lars

Version: next

Re: swift-connection (connecting to FSD servers like VATSIM)

Postby Isaak » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:03 pm

I'm really excited to see it finally happen. Thanks a ton for all the work you've already done in the last couple of months!
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA

Postby Octal450 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:09 pm

Fantastic work JARVUM!
Absolutely love it and can't wait to try it out!

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby Isaak » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:14 am

Hi Lars,

I saw that swift is released in beta status. Is there anything we can already do to help you test the connection with FlightGear?

Kind regards,

Isaak
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Postby CaptB » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:33 am

Wonderful news, thank you!
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB

Postby Lars » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:16 pm

Hi,
except fgdata (only menubar changes) everything is already merged into next on SF. So if you want to compile it yourself everything should work.

Otherwise I hope to get fgdata merged soon and thereafter enable swift within the nightly buildings for testing (but I will start a thread on the mailinglist soon). If this is successfully it might be become available within 2019.2.
Lars

Postby Isaak » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:47 pm

That's really great! I've never built FG myself, so I'll wait for the nightly builds to get updated. Thanks again!
Isaak

Postby tdammers » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:52 pm

Hi! Just tried installing and running swift, but I'm afraid I'm lost - the GUI is confusing, it doesn't seem to work, I can't change the model mappings, I have no idea whether things are doing what they're supposed to be doing. Is there some kind of guide that tells me how to interpret the GUI, what the important concepts are, etc.?
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:45 pm

On the swiftdata client, I load the /data/ folder in the settings tab:

This loads all 1726 models into the "own models" tab. So, on the own models tab, I select all and hit "alt + a" to transfer them to the model set tab.

Then, I hit "new set" and hit "ok" --> this reduces the set to the 343 which have data in the database:

I think you will have to hit "first set" though, if you did not already have a set created.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby tdammers » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:27 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:45 pm:On the swiftdata client, I load the /data/ folder in the settings tab:

This loads all 1726 models into the "own models" tab. So, on the own models tab, I select all and hit "alt + a" to transfer them to the model set tab.

OK, so I have 233 entries in "own models", and 13 in "model set". Selecting all and pressing "Alt + A" doesn't seem to do anything, but when I open the context menu and click "Add to model set (Alt + A)", the counter on the "model set" tab goes to 0, and all the models in there disappear. Switching the radiobutton on the lower left to "XP" and then back to "FG" however seems to get the 13 models back.

legoboyvdlp wrote in Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:45 pm:

Then, I hit "new set" and hit "ok" --> this reduces the set to the 343 which have data in the database:

I think you will have to hit "first set" though, if you did not already have a set created.

"New set" doesn't seem to "reduce" anything; I still have the same 13 models in the "Model set" tab. There's a red cross next to each of them btw., no idea what that means, but I guess it's not good.

Anyway, once I've done all this and start the actual client (the "GUI" in the launcher), I get an error message that says:

No models for matching ('FG'), swift without a model set will not work!

So, no idea what to do about that.
tdammers

Postby tdammers » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:54 pm

Aha! Found the problem. I had the aircraft directories set to ../Aircraft; setting them to their parents allowed swift to also load the AI models (under /AI, not /Aircraft).

Still doesn't work though, the "Swift" button in FG is grayed out, despite the Swift client running.

A fresh rebuild fixed that. Awesome.

Managed to connect to VATSIM, and it seems to work, yay. Few things to remark:

- Other aircraft are rendered, but don't show up on the in-sim map as traffic, nor on the Phi map (with "Other traffic" enabled).
- Chat messages appear on screen, but the MP Chat window is not available.
tdammers

Postby Lars » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:54 am

Great to hear that it works!

tdammers wrote in Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:54 pm:- Other aircraft are rendered, but don't show up on the in-sim map as traffic, nor on the Phi map (with "Other traffic" enabled).

I'm working already on a fix to add the aircrafts to the TCAS/internal map.

tdammers wrote in Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:54 pm:- Chat messages appear on screen, but the MP Chat window is not available.

The chat is entirely working via the swift client and (at least for now) not via the internal FG MP Chat. Swifts FSX/P3D and X-Plane integrations are doing this the same way.

Another thing I'm currently working on (swift-side) is to add standard paths for the model/sim dir within the mapping tool. I'll also add some more information to the wiki article (or perhaps a video) to explain the inital setup.
Lars

Postby Isaak » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:03 am

Great work Lars, I'll give it a go next week!
Isaak

Postby V12 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:50 am

Will be possible on local network connect FG and other sim like P3D, XP, FSX etc without VATSIM or IVAO ?
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Lars » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:00 am

V12 wrote in Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:50 am:Will be possible on local network connect FG and other sim like P3D, XP, FSX etc without VATSIM or IVAO ?

Should be, if you spin up a local FSD server (the same server also used by VATSIM. But I guess it doesn't have a voice support. This is more a VATSIM thing). swift is able to connect to local FSD servers.
Lars

Next

Return to New features