Board index FlightGear Development New features

swift-connection (connecting to FSD servers like VATSIM)

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: swift-connection (connecting to FSD servers like VATSIM)

Postby V12 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:13 am

OK, it is sufficient. Thank You for quick answer.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby tdammers » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:28 pm

Lars wrote in Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:54 am:Great to hear that it works!

tdammers wrote in Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:54 pm:- Other aircraft are rendered, but don't show up on the in-sim map as traffic, nor on the Phi map (with "Other traffic" enabled).

I'm working already on a fix to add the aircrafts to the TCAS/internal map.

Awesome. I thought I had read something along those lines somewhere, but wasn't sure. It kind of baffled me that those aircraft don't appear on any maps or TCAS screens, but do get rendered.

Lars wrote in Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:54 am:
tdammers wrote in Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:54 pm:- Chat messages appear on screen, but the MP Chat window is not available.

The chat is entirely working via the swift client and (at least for now) not via the internal FG MP Chat. Swifts FSX/P3D and X-Plane integrations are doing this the same way.

Ah, OK, that makes sense actually. I was just confused because the messages do appear in-sim, but you cannot reply to them from within.

As a quick suggestion wrt chat, it would be great to have a way of having the chat in a separate window somehow, so that it's always focused and can be window-managed separately from the rest of the Swift GUI. A simple telnet bridge might be enough for that, and would also allow for integration with other client-side software.

Lars wrote in Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:54 am:Another thing I'm currently working on (swift-side) is to add standard paths for the model/sim dir within the mapping tool. I'll also add some more information to the wiki article (or perhaps a video) to explain the inital setup.

That would be very welcome. Also, the documentation that is available focuses mainly on XPlane, FSX and P3D; FG is painfully absent, to the point of initially making me doubt that it's supported at all.

And one final suggestion on the in-sim GUI part: I think the "external connections" menu item should just be renamed to "Swift", and then the dialog that contains nothing but a "Swift" button should be removed, and the actual Swift dialog opened directly.

Oh, and: thanks for the gargantuan effort, this is so much appreciated, after half a dozen failed attempts at making the old "solution" work.
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Postby Lars » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:02 pm

tdammers wrote in Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:28 pm:And one final suggestion on the in-sim GUI part: I think the "external connections" menu item should just be renamed to "Swift", and then the dialog that contains nothing but a "Swift" button should be removed, and the actual Swift dialog opened directly.

It was like this at my first attempt. But the probleme is, that I haven't found a solution to disable a GUI menubar entry dependent on if swift is enabled in this build or not. When swift isn't enabled the swift button in the "external connections" menu is greyed out.
But I agree this workaround isn't the best approach and I will again have a look at it!
Lars

Version: next

Postby tdammers » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:48 pm

Ah, sounds reasonable.

Another (possibly stupid) question: I can't seem to get PTT to work. No matter what keyboard combinations I select, the "PTT" light doesn't light up, I don't hear the PTT sounds (even though they do sound when I check them), and it doesn't seem like people on the frequency can hear me. I can receive all audio just fine though.
tdammers

Postby Lars » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:25 pm

Hmm sounds strange.

As this seems not FG related I guess the best will be to ask on the swift official discord: https://discord.gg/R7Atd9A
Normally the core developers are answering very fast.
Lars

Postby tdammers » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:30 pm

Sorry, Discord doesn't work for me. Is there a bug tracker? Github? Gitlab? Mailing list? IRC channel? I'll happily take any of those.
tdammers

Postby stuart » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:40 pm

Lars wrote in Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:02 pm:It was like this at my first attempt. But the probleme is, that I haven't found a solution to disable a GUI menubar entry dependent on if swift is enabled in this build or not. When swift isn't enabled the swift button in the "external connections" menu is greyed out.
But I agree this workaround isn't the best approach and I will again have a look at it!

The way to do so is to use the menuEnable() function in gui.nas. See gui.nas line 135 where it is used to enable or disable various menu items on startup.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Lars » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:45 pm

tdammers wrote in Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:48 pm:Ah, sounds reasonable.

Another (possibly stupid) question: I can't seem to get PTT to work. No matter what keyboard combinations I select, the "PTT" light doesn't light up, I don't hear the PTT sounds (even though they do sound when I check them), and it doesn't seem like people on the frequency can hear me. I can receive all audio just fine though.

Coincidentally MacOS?
Lars

Postby tdammers » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:48 pm

Lars wrote in Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:45 pm:
tdammers wrote in Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:48 pm:Ah, sounds reasonable.

Coincidentally MacOS?

Nope; Debian. Got Discord working (ish) though, and got help there. Turns out swift needs read access to `/dev/input/event*`; adding myself to the `input` group did the trick.
tdammers

Postby ma2c » Wed May 29, 2019 12:08 pm

Swift looks great and I really appreciate the effort of its developers to improve the VATSIM community!

I'm trying to setup FlightGear + Local FSD server. The main issue until now is that the FG plugin is not installed (or loaded).

I watched that in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5O3tRo ... e=youtu.be) they load the plugin from the Multiplayer's menu. However, I don't have such entry in the menu.

Any idea?
ma2c

Postby Isaak » Wed May 29, 2019 12:20 pm

The menu item will be included in 2019.2,if you use a development version of FlightGear you'll have it, but this version can be very unstable!
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA

Postby ma2c » Wed May 29, 2019 1:41 pm

Ah, that's why I cannot see the plugin. I'm running FG 2018.3.2

Does it mean that Swift-Connector only supports Flight Gear 2019.2?
ma2c

Postby Isaak » Wed May 29, 2019 2:06 pm

It will be supported from 2019.2 onward. You can make it work with 2018.3 or earlier, but that would mean that you 'd have to make adjustments in the FG core code, and if you cannot compile a program I 'd suggest not to go that route. In only a few months 2019.2 will become the new stable FG release, so everyone will be able to use Swift to connect to VATSIM :)
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA

Postby G-UNTER » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:33 pm

Anyone know why the 'swift connection' is greyed out in FG 2019.2 ?
Join the Official Flightgear Discord: https://discord.gg/kzAt8JE6mK
G-UNTER

Callsign: G-UNTER
Version: 2020.3.3

Postby Lars » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:13 am

Which version do you running and which OS? Nightly macOS?
Lars

PreviousNext

Return to New features