Board index FlightGear Development New features

UAV on collision course

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

UAV on collision course

Postby Mi35tiger » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:48 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm quite new in flight gear, but I'm flying pilot in real life and there's such a situation I'd like to someone help me to add to simulation. In accordance with recently accidents of UAVs and aircraft, is there any posible way to add the UAV in front of flying aircraft to a collision course? Such as if I'm flying approach or circuits the UAV would appear from the right or left or in front of me in a way I must make a maneuver to avoid. It would be helpful for real life training.

So the question is:
How to add UAV without anybody flying it?
How write a script where the possition of UAV will be dependent of my possition?
Via what should I import UAV into simulator, what communication protocol or just how?

Any help guys? Or is there someone who has been solving same problem?
Mi35tiger

Re: UAV on collision course

Postby wlbragg » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:24 pm

There is more than one way to do this.

The easiest for me would be to import a model of the UAV using nasal, using the same technique as models imported into the scene in the AirCrane (see cargooperations.nas), Shuttle, or even the ground models in the c172p.

Convert your aircrafts current flight information (available in the property tree) to apply to the UAV you import plus any offsets or maneuvers you want to add. You potentially could even randomize some of the data to allow for a surprise every time.

All the above would be controlled through a nasal script and could be activated on demand or at random.

The Shuttle pretty much has the exact scenario in varying forms with the satellite deploy, ISS rendezvous, even the booster rockets (only backwards).

Some of the Shuttle techniques may be using a submodel which is another way you could so this.

You could even use an AI scenario and define an intersecting flight plan. See any of the AI examples in fgdata/AI
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Return to New features