Board index FlightGear Development New features

Dragon Rider with Virtual Reality

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Dragon Rider with Virtual Reality

Postby CoolGames » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:45 pm

If you follow my progress I have been trying to get a dragon aircraft simulation working with a real world cockpit that is a dragon sculpture.

The original idea for this project was a game engine on VR headset with Arduino for the cockpit controls.
We decided to be Open Source and game engines had restrictive licensing and steep learning curve.
Also it became a fixed immovable single setting scenario.

Flight Gear with Scales the Dragon caused a complete rethink and proved quite usable and flexible.
Since our group is in Nashua New Hampshire USA we used the local airfield KASH as a start point.

The project has been static for most of the Spring 2018 except to add some sound (not uploaded to sources) and distraction
with music ideas.

Now I been looking at Oculus Go as a better virtual reality than head mounted ideas of early game strategies.
I see Oculus Rift mentioned but want to find a mirror or web based plan for the Oculus Go.
Again I want to stay away from game engines and Windows only development restrictions.

As a prototype I have the OSVR HDK V1.4 running on HDMI (single view on both eyes) with X96 Mini Android TV !
This combo is wire intensive but connected to Ubuntu Stdio laptop running FGFS 2018 and Scales the Dragon.

Any suggestions how to get a Android TV mirror or display working ?

I also plan to make the sculpture dragon with projection screen in front of the rider so as to allow spectators
or use with out VR platform.
CoolGames

Version: 2017.3.1

Re: Dragon Rider with Virtual Reality

Postby CoolGames » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:36 pm

July 1, 2018 - Bought the Oculus Go at Best Buy $199 and shared announcement on the Oculus developer forum as CoolGamesNet.
I am not sure where it was shared and when or will appear though.
Question asked about Node.JS for WebVR but not clear who has any success.
CoolGames

Version: 2017.3.1

Return to New features