Board index FlightGear Development New features

Joystick cofig - reverse axis tickboxes.

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Joystick cofig - reverse axis tickboxes.

Postby StuartC » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:54 am

Just a quick request.
The Current Joystick Configurator only has reverse options on the aileron/elevator/rudder.
Can the reverse tickbox option be added to all axes function ? It would held newbies trying to set up pedals and throttles etc.
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Re: Joystick cofig - reverse axis tickboxes.

Postby Richard » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:01 am

After some not inconsiderable effort to understand how the dialog, joystick.nas and controls.nas all work together I've come up with a workable solution.

The 'engine' controls are a special case - compared to the normal flight controls because by default the engine controls can affect a specific engine, or all engines.

My proposed solution is to have a new entry in the list "Throttle All Engines" that will use the normal axis method (property-scale); to set /controls/engines/throttle-all and then to have a listener on that property which will set the throttle for all engines.

So really I think we could probably do away with special handling for engines and consolidate to use this approach for all engine controls.

However it's also worth considering that maybe what we want is a "throttle all / collective" entry in the list that has the invert box.

What do you think?
Richard

Version: Git

Postby Clive2670 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:18 pm

Stuart, you may want to download and use this very useful program, So then you can config' your joystick in numerous ways, Also you can do all of the config's without the tiresome need (and knowledge) of knowing how to write/rewrite xml codes. The program is here: https://github.com/AntiMicro/antimicro hope this helps in your quest
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby StuartC » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:51 pm

Richard, yes, that sounds like a plan.

Clive. For noobs or code shy types, the process needs to be simple and contained within the joystick configurator. External add on apps or messing with code put a lot of people off which is why I raised this. I can do it, but many many many others are not confident with such things and it puts them off.
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:03 pm

the thing that gets me with a lot of things like these tools is trust... how well do you trust them to do what they say AND not bring anything else and hide it under the table (eg: keylogger, browser ad injector, back door, root kit, etc)...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Clive2670 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:18 pm

May I just say that as far as I'm aware Antimicro is NOT linked to the 'net once downloaded and installed, As when i rrun it, like any other app I always run taskmanager and just watch for a few minutes and keep an eye on the network column. This app never uses any bandwidth, so I assume that it is not sending any data to anywhere that shouldn't be getting it! As for "Noobs" It couldn't be anymore simple as you press the key(s) you want to bind from the keyboard and then select the button(s) on the joystick you want that key(s) bound to, select save give the config' a name of your choice, And as they say "Bobs your Uncle" it's all done! For the record I have NEVER had any issues with this app and I've been using it for about 5 months now
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Richard » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:05 pm

I've managed to get it working. After much hassle trying to get two combo boxes working together I realised that actually it should work like the button config and show a dialog.

So this is what I've done. Hoping to get this finished and in tonight ready for 2018.1

It looks like this[1]

---------------------
[1] (please excuse the cross posted picture if you've already seen it).
Richard

Version: Git

Return to New features