Board index FlightGear Development New features

This file opens in ...

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

This file opens in ...

Postby gkick » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:53 am

Hi,

I wonder if there is a way to eliminate what I consider an unnecessary dialog aka if for instance you open the map, the menu tells you (hey it opens in a browser), then you get a message ... this opens in a browser, the browser opens wonderfully provided the internal web server is running and the message stays open behind and you can click the ok button long after the map has been closed.
Thanks
gkick

Re: This file opens in ...

Postby wlbragg » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:20 am

I think it was done that way so unsuspecting users would realize there was a map opening in a browser. You could find in the GUI code where it is opened and comment it out.
Last edited by wlbragg on Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:31 am

I wonder if there is a way to eliminate what I consider an unnecessary dialog

It's much less unnecessary if FG is in fullscreen mode and the browser happens to open behind FG, because without the message you get the impression nothing happens at all.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:27 am

yup, when running FG fullscreen, everything opens behind FG... load flight plan, save flight plan, aircraft center, and others... it is disconcerting when you open one and suddenly the sim stops responding until you think to ALT-TAB and look around at what else is open... in fact, i just found another bug while testing this...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Isaak » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:49 am

wkitty42 wrote in Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:27 am:yup, when running FG fullscreen, everything opens behind FG... load flight plan, save flight plan, aircraft center, and others...

At my end it doesn't behave like that, load/save FP opens just nicely on top of FG.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:55 am

are you sure you're running Full Screen and not in a window? there's no frame around the sim or 'X' in the corner to close it with...

maybe it is a window manager thing? KDE on ubuntu does it as i described...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Isaak » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:17 am

Using Windows here, mostly with a special config file to render on multiple screens, so kind of full screen (no window borders), but not the default. But if I recall correctly if I used the normal full screen mode the last time, it behaved as expected. I 'll try again after the weekend (not at home until Monday) to be sure.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA

Postby Thorsten » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:21 pm

At my end it doesn't behave like that, load/save FP opens just nicely on top of FG.

We have already established on the mailing list that the behavior is OS and even window manager dependent (and really out of the hands of FG).
Thorsten

Return to New features