Board index FlightGear Development New features

Get me lost feature (like X-Plane)

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Get me lost feature (like X-Plane)

Postby FighterAce » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:42 pm

What about a "get me lost" feature for FlightGear, like the one in X-Plane? It would transport your aircraft to a random location on the globe, and you would have to find an airport to land at before you ran out of fuel. Is it possible to incorperate such a feature into FlightGear, and is there anyone who would be willing to work on it? Please let me know in the comments below. Thanks!,

-FighterAce
FighterAce

Callsign: FighterAce
Version: 2017.1.3

Re: Get me lost feature (like X-Plane)

Postby stuart » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:26 am

Hi FighterAce,

It would be very straightforward to do by modifying the Location - In Air dialog. Why not have a got at doing it yourself? You'd be able to create a feature you're interested in for the benefit of others and a neat way to learn something about the internals of the simulator.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby D-ECHO » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:35 pm

@Stuart +1

A thing to consider would be the installed scenery, it could be quite upsetting when having to try many times before getting a location where you have scenery of installed. Is it property-accessable which scenery is installed. Otherwise terrasync would be necessary for this feature
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby FighterAce » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:55 pm

Well, that wouldn't be a problem if you manually installed all the world scenery.
FighterAce

Postby Clive2670 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:18 pm

FighterAce wrote in Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:55 pm:Well, that wouldn't be a problem if you manually installed all the world scenery.

Good point, but you have to realise that some people do not have masses of free space on their hard drives, I have all the world scenery installed via terramaster and this takes up 85Gb + of space!!! OK if like me you have a 1Tb drive, but some people only have maybe a 250Gb drive. Take into account that the Windows 10 folder alone on my hard drive takes up 26.1 Gb uncompressed and the compressed size is still 20.9 Gb, That is one tenth of the hard drive gone before anything else like personal folders like photo's, documents, programs (Flightgear program alone uses 2.4 Gb) before you know it you will seriously be running short of space on a 250Gb drive!!! Flightgear devs' have to consider what the "Averages" are across the board, Like the "average" PC / Laptop, It's processor, it's GPU, It's "Average" hard drive I suspect, All this taken into account, they cannot just start adding all the requests everyone make, or it would become too large and cumbersome for some machines to run. Even for a fairly good machine, they sometimes struggle if asked too much of with the current version (3.1) As the previous posts suggest, You could develop this feature yourself, for your use and if it works maybe a downloadable "add-on" for others who want this and machines are capable of downloading and storing world scenery have the choice of using the add-on? Rather than having it as a permanent feature, that will throw a lot of "This feature doesn't work" questions at the forum, As I suspect there are very few people that have the complete world downloaded in a scenery file!!!! Sorry to sound like a party pooper, But maybe you can see it may well become a logistcal nightmare!!!
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby FighterAce » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:10 pm

Yeah, I can see what you mean. Maybe I will work on it, we'll see.
FighterAce

Postby Clive2670 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:43 am

FighterAce wrote in Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:10 pm:Yeah, I can see what you mean. Maybe I will work on it, we'll see.

Please don't take this as " I don't agree with your idea" This is far from it, as flightgear is open source it's good to have people with new ideas and be able to code them! Like I said it's something that has to really be available to be used by anyone that has the capability to be able to "run" Flightgear, and not restrict the program down to a narrow audience with top end machines and hard drives large enough to be able to store the scenery. Please carry on with your idea and see if it works! All the best and good luck
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby FighterAce » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Of course, I understand perfectly. Thanks for your constructive criticism!
FighterAce

Return to New features