Board index FlightGear Development New features

Feature request? View offset for an offset...

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Feature request? View offset for an offset...

Postby Talkless » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:35 pm

I have tried Opentrack with Aruco paper tracker ant it works fine, though the problem is that they use /sim/current-view/x-offset-m to change view offset, but that's overrides offset for "default" pilot head position, if I understand correctly, because I have to calibrate x/y/z in Opentrack UI for each aircraft I launch in Flightgear, otherwise I get view from centre of the vehicle...

Is this possible to implement tracking protocols that adds to the original FG-defined offsets?

Opentrack headtracking.xml looks like this:
https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/ ... racker.xml
Code: Select all
         <chunk>
            <name>x</name>
            <type>double</type>
            <node>/sim/current-view/x-offset-m</node>
</chunk>

Maybe we need some sort of "/sim/current-view/x-offset-m-2" for second layer of offsets, being applied on top of "/sim/current-view/x-offset-m" that FG controls by itself? This thould allow to use "Adjust View Position" dialog to fine-tune offsets if needed, and head tracker only would add on top of it.
Talkless

Callsign: TLS
IRC name: Talkless
Version: git master

Re: Feature request? View offset for an offset...

Postby GuillaumeD » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:00 am

Hi Talkless
You're absolutely right in your analysis, so I went ahead and did it. Here is a merge request that does precisely that : https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fl ... uests/239/
While the development environment has been quite long to setup though it's very well documented, the patch itself is 3 simple lines !
I hope this will be included in a future release.
GuillaumeD

Postby Johan G » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:33 am

Using the opentrack head tracker with an ArUco marker myself I hope that patch will get into the next release (perhaps even the next stable).

While I have not tested it, yet, I understand that there is currently a 3rd party addon to work around the problem for now, but I think I rather see the solution above.

Looking forward to looking around the canopy frame when in formation. :P
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Richard » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:37 am

Integration between OpenTrack and the FlightGear core is something that I'm currently working on - hopefully this will work out well and we'll have proper headtracking support in the core.

The basic design is that the head tracking device will have values in /input/headtracker/ and these will be applied to the values in the view; however I suspect there will be a lot more complexity than this to support both simple headtrackers but also VR devices with their greater range of movement.
Richard

Version: Git

Postby Johan G » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:53 pm

Richard wrote in Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:37 am:The basic design is that the head tracking device will have values in /input/headtracker/ and these will be applied to the values in the view; however I suspect there will be a lot more complexity than this to support both simple headtrackers but also VR devices with their greater range of movement.

There is also the complication that VR devices usually have a 1:1 mapping of rotation and probably often also position offsets, while head trackers usually are not mapped 1:1, and sometimes non-linearly mapped. I guess that would be handled by the VR/head tracking software though.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to New features