Board index FlightGear Development New features

New Feature: Addon - "API"

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: New Feature: Addon - "API"

Postby stuart » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:19 pm

Hi Thomas,

I'd suggest asking for permission for Addons/mynewaddon. I've no idea if that granularity is available or not, but it doesn't do any harm to ask.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby bugman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:07 pm

The granularity is self imposed by the developer themselves ;) With commit access (write permission), which is pretty easy to obtain, you can modify all FGAddon contents. That's no issue though as everything is revertible in a SVN repository, so any mistakes can be quickly undone.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:04 am

this is like other aspects of FG... you can use your own repo for development, yes... if you want your addon included with FG, it should to be presented and placed into the Addons repo you pointed out... whether you get permission or have to find someone willing to commit to that repo for you is something you have to figure out... if you want to request write permission, you need a sourceforge account and you need to ask on the developers' mailing list (link at top of page) for said permission or for assistance in gaining said permission... if you are not familiar with that repo software and how to use it, someone can help and tutor you to make sure you understand how things work with it...

this is short, paraphrased and off the top of my head based on memory retained from reading other similar exchanges... i hope i got it all correct...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby ThomasS » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:27 am

OK, thanks for your comments. To be more specific, my idea is to make the animated jetways patch an addon and publish it. Just because its not "my" work I hesitate to host it in my repo. So what I will do now is get it working as addon and than I will ask for write permission to "Addons".
ThomasS

Version: 2018.2.1

Postby ThomasS » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:36 am

Well, apparently the "animated jetways" issue no longer is one. I just realized there was a patch to fgcommand "savexml" allowing to write to $FG_HOME/runtime-jetways again. So there is no need to make it an addon; at least not for permission reasons.
ThomasS

Version: 2018.2.1

Postby bugman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:45 am

To fix issues with current FlightGear infrastructure and/or assets, this should not be via an addon but rather fixed directly at the source. For this specific example, I fixed the issue like this:

Note that this is directly within the flightgear core repository.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby Necolatis » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:34 pm

Is there no wiki page for this?
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby Hooray » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:36 pm

I believe there used to be one, but it stopped being maintained/added to once rominet created a dedicated "README.addons" file in $FG_ROOT/Docs, and then the wiki article got significantly out of date, because rominet added new features almost on a weekly basis at the time (IIRC)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Previous

Return to New features