Board index FlightGear Development New features

Automated ATC (Like X-Plane)

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Automated ATC (Like X-Plane)

Postby FighterAce » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:52 pm

FlightGear Community,

So I was playing around with the X-Plane 10 and 11 demos, and I noticed how realistic the AI ATC system was. It would be amazing if the developers of FlightGear could begin to develop something like this, perhaps for offline use, or maybe for the airports without a human ATC. Does anybody else want to see this feature in FlightGear? Please post your thoughts and opinions in the comments section below. Thanks,

-FighterAce
FighterAce

Callsign: FighterAce
Version: 2017.1.3

Re: Automated ATC (Like X-Plane)

Postby Parnikkapore » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:44 am

There was a prototype that got abandoned whatsoever. And I saw a Nasal script for it on the Devel list...
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby FighterAce » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:13 am

Really? I never knew about that.
FighterAce

Postby Parnikkapore » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:24 pm

Okay, the "abandoned prototype" is what you're using wgen you hit the ' key.
Look for the "Spoken ATC" thread here on the Forum, that's the Nasal script. It needs to be installed separately, however.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:59 pm

The C++ system is too inflexible actually - but it would be fairly straightforward to prototype a really flexible system in scripting space using the plethora of high level wrappers available (think all the navcache/navdb APIs)

I guess that a single motivated individual willing to tinker with Nasal could easily emulate (and probably exceed) much/most of the functionality of the existing built-in system, and over time even sur-pass other hard-coded systems available in FSX/X-Plane.

The combination of Nasal/XML are very powerful - if in doubt, I suggest to check out the tutorial system and come up with an AI/ATC scenario that way (which may in fact instantiate actual scripted AI aircraft), and then take it from there - i.e. just to get your feet wet.

Note that an adapted version of the built-in Map/Canvas dialog could even show a radar scope or other ATC charts (think airspace) - it would in fact even be possible to put all of this functionality into an AWACS aircraft...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby FighterAce » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:54 am

Interesting. I will have to look into this more.
FighterAce

Return to New features