Board index FlightGear Development New features

FlightGear and VATSIM

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

FlightGear and VATSIM

Postby Koploper9 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:13 pm

Hello everyone

To quickly introduce myself, I'm Simon and I'm a VATSIM controller and FlightGear pilot. I like flying FlightGear online on VATSIM with the SquawkGear software etc. I'm just informing the FlightGear and/or SquawkGear developers of something I read on the VATSIM forums. A new Pilot client is about to be released: it is called Swift.

Swift is an open-source pilot client that aims to work for most simulators (FSX, P3D, FS9 and XP for the moment). Since it is open-source, just as FlightGear, I thought it might be interesting to inform you. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that anyone should make Swift work with FlightGear, I'm just letting the community know for those interested in improving the way we currently connect to VATSIM.

Kind Regards

Re: FlightGear and VATSIM

Postby stuart » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi Simon,

That is very interesting indeed.

I had a look, but it doesn't seem they are quite ready to release their source code yet. I'm sure once it's available we'd be able to integrate it into FlightGear.

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby CaptB » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:59 pm

I hope I will be wrong, but SWIFT was in the works for a long time(2014) already so I would not hold my breath. Also remember that not all of this project is open as I am certain the parts covered by the VATSIM NDA are not.
Callsign: EKCH_AP
Version: 2016.1

Postby Koploper9 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:52 pm

They've made a post recently that they're starting the Alpha testing, so fingers crossed. I'll keep my ears open and let you know when I hear news.

Postby it0uchpods » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:04 pm

My goal is to get my aircraft to work on VATSIM Realistically. Good to keep in mind.

FlightGear Aircraft Developer
Lead Programmer at the it0uchpods Design Group
Download High Quality Aircraft from it0uchpods Hangar
Callsign: WTF411/Octal
IRC name: it0uchpods
Version: 2017.3.1

Return to New features