Board index FlightGear Development New features

Tips on Startup (aka Tip of the Day)

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Tips on Startup (aka Tip of the Day)

Postby Michat » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:56 pm

@stuart I'm agree is a bit advance. I've edited the tip for newbies with an useful example.

@agough Pretty good definition.
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby Michat » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:08 pm

Problem You are about to crash, your aircraft is suffering uncontrolled spin near the ground. Don't want to die. "Control You" !

Solution Quickly ! Press CONTROL+U For every time you press this combination your aircraft gain 1000ft. You are save .
Last edited by Michat on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michat

Postby Michat » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:08 pm

Do you know that in FlighGear there are MacroTIcons or what we call nowadays MacroEmojis ?. Those are a set of mnemonic character strokes ( keyboard inputs ) capable to get you into a menu option, a dialog box, set your nav freq, your daytime, etc.

One example is to get access to the fuel and payload dialog very quickly in a fanny and effective way by tipping.

Code: Select all
 :Df
EXPLANATION: Note that is case sensitive. We type : in order to access to the command mode (a direct command mode). Just next we type D (capital letter) D means dialogs, just next again we type f that means fuel.

For more complete list of MacroEmojis for FG just type : you'll see the command Mode Box. USE TAB TO SEE OPTIONS.

PROBLEM: For some reasons your aircraft can't climb further, you have lost speed, the autopilot is trying to maintain alt by trimming. You are now in a difficult situation over trimmed and loosing speed very quickly, you are now falling down, you have time to disconnect app but not enough to trim back to neutral again and get the control of your aircraft.
SOLUTION Quickly type this macroEmoji
Code: Select all
:fia
This command will trim back to neutral. Now you can try to get back full control.

: open command mode, f means flight controls, i stands for initialize, and a stands for aileron. However a better way to memorize this command is calling it as :fia standing for fiability

Cause FG is not perfect we haven't yet the :lol command. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Michat on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michat

Postby stuart » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi Michat,

Thanks for the suggestions. These are going to be too long to fit in the space available in the splashscreen. If you could reduce them to a simple sentence, like "Press Ctrl+U to teleport up 1000ft", that would be useful.

Keep them coming! :)

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Michat » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:19 pm

Be free to use it, adopt it, adapt it or whatever it ... Hard to match a tip in one sentence.

Do you know that QNH stands for Query Newlyn Harbour which is a reference place in UK for mean sea level. In aviation refers to the pressure setting. In general Is part of the Q code.
Michat

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:25 pm

@stuart : 'x' to zoom in, 'X' to zoom out, CTRL-X to return to default zoom.
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Clive2670 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:02 pm

"QFE" means "Query: Field Elevation" You might hear this asked on a lot of smaller (grass) airfields in the UK. To ellaborate on a previous post though: The abbreviation QNH originates from the days when voice modulated radio was often difficult to receive, and communication was done by Morse Code. To avoid the need for long Morse transmissions, many of the most commonly used communications were incorporated into a Q code. To ask for atmospheric pressure at sea-level (i.e., at zero altitude) the letters 'QNH' would be transmitted. A common mnemonic for QNH is "Query: Nautical Height", whereas the mnemonic often used for QFE is "Query: Field Elevation". See full "Q" code list here for aircraft under sub-section 3.1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_code#Ae ... 3B_ICAO.29
Just to confirm, this information has been copied & pasted from Wikipedia, so maybe not correct, DON'T BLAME ME!!!!!
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Johan G » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:57 pm

Clive2670 wrote in Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:02 pm:"QFE" means "Query: Field Elevation"

That is almost certainly a backronym. Very few if any of the Q codes are actual acronyms. ;)

I am under the impression that they rather are ordered by subject. Consider for example QTH for location, QTO for takeoff/leaving port and QTP for landing/entering port. (Just imagine giving your ETA as "<tower callsign> <your callsign> QTP 1435" on a Morse key in heavy turbulence. ;) ) In Morse or on teletype a question mark would follow the Q code if it was a query. (I spent a bit of time with HAMs when I was young. Great guys. :) )
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Clive2670 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:00 pm

Saying that, Johan back to my quote, why then do I hear planes coming into EGSM (Beccles UK) right next to where I work on the scanner asking for the "QFE" and it being read to them, then they will read it back ( This seems to me that it is the "QNH" because the major airports (Controllers) I can here are reading the same air pressure setting back to the "commercials airlines" why not make QNH the standard? Not QFE for one (Privates) and QNH for commercial?
Last edited by Johan G on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need to quote the entire preceding post
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
Clive2670

Postby Johan G » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:34 pm

I am not entirely sure I understand you and if you understand the difference between QFE and QNH. I apologize in advance if you do.

QFE and QNH are two rather different things. While both are air pressures, QFE should be the air pressure at the runway threshold. In essence if you set the altimeter to QFE your pressure altimeter should read zero feet at the runway threshold (though often the elevation difference between the runways is negligible). QNH on the other hand is a slight bit more complicated. While based on the air pressure at the airport, it has been converted into the air pressure of the theoretical sea level at the location of the airport. If you set the altimeter to QNH it should show the airport elevation (the airports altitude above the sea level, which can be found on approach and departure charts).

I would guess the reason you often hear private aircraft use QFE rather than QNH while rarely if ever hear commercial aircraft use QFE is that if you are flying VFR in the vicinity of the airport QFE is really nice as you would easily see your altitude above ground. If you instead would be flying flying IFR (which often are required if you have a flight plan, which pretty much all commercial aircraft do) you would instead prefer the altimeter to show the published elevations (of the terrain) and altitudes (to fly at).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Clive2670 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:47 pm

Thanks for that explanation Johan, It is a lot clearer now that the relation between VFR, IFR, QFE, & QNH has been explained, as the page on Wiki' ( Nothing to do with the flightgear Wiki' that is) is a little bit vague to say the least!!!
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
Clive2670

Postby adam_one » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:21 pm

A question about the current FG tutorials, are they capable of detecting aircraft movement, such as when reaching 150kts to prompt the user to rotate? (i love using techno-babble)
adam_one

Version: alpha

Postby stuart » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi adam_one,

Short answer: Yes - you can put <condition> blocks within the <exit> block to control when the next step is executed.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Clive2670 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:26 pm

Someone should be able to answer this question: I'm on 2017.1.3 version, I used to "pre-load" some specific options in the "additional options" box on the seetings tab, these were:
--visibility=150000
--prop:/local-weather/config/ground-haze-factor=225
--prop:/sim/rendering/clouds3d-vis-range=370000
--prop:double:/sim/rendering/static-lod/ai-detailed=0
--prop:double:/sim/rendering/static-lod/ai-range-mode-pixel=1
--prop:double:/sim/rendering/static-lod/detailed=3000
--prop:double:/sim/rendering/static-lod/rough=20000
--prop:double:/sim/rendering/static-lod/bare=370000
--httpd = 8080
These all worked fine on 2016.4.4, and 2017.1.2, but now when I put these into the additional options box, it causes the program to crash, I get a "run box" ( Black one) with a load of writing in it which goes off too quickly to read. Remove these settings and flightgear starts and loads up normally. Any idea's please? I also put in a request for help on this post: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31997
The full code that was logged previously is on that page if this helps anyone?
UPDATE: Thanks to wkitty42, this post has now be solved!
Last edited by Clive2670 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
Clive2670

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:49 am

see my reply in the "double splash screen" topic ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

PreviousNext

Return to New features