Board index FlightGear Development New features

Tips on Startup (aka Tip of the Day)

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Tips on Startup (aka Tip of the Day)

Postby Michat » Sun May 14, 2017 8:12 pm

I had a conversation in other post with Thorsten about Disable Download Scenery by default. I think can be interesting for TIP OF THE DAY evaluation.

Michat wrote in Sun May 14, 2017 12:26 am:I don't know what's the reason to have disable this option by default,

Thorsten: Assume you're on holiday with your laptop, your hotel charges your internet access by data volume, you just want a relaxing round of FG and it downloads a few GB worth of scenery, the hotel bills you steeply.

Software should never ever download anything without first being authorized by the user.

Michat:
Hey, Thosten. Could be good, for the reasons you comment, suggesting to include a short explanation of those in some brief adapted style into the FG tip of the day suggestions thread.

Something like: "Do you know that"... You can download other airports, by activating automatic download ( terrasync, disable by default ) ...bla bla bla (menu path to the activation option). And some advise for travellers, or those who could be under pay for download conditions.

If you are agree, we can suggest it to the tip of the day editor's team. If maybe they consider a helpful tip, as for newbies, such us for paybit'ers.

Cheers.

How you doing?
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby Michat » Sun May 14, 2017 9:02 pm

F·3 ScreenShot. And some info about where to manage screenshots directory.

Wanda Fish ( agough suggested style):

F·3 AirSelfie is narcissism elevated to the highest level. :mrgreen:

Just kidding, Again is choice to the editor to translate my proposals into a formal shape.

How you doing?
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby jarl.arntzen » Mon May 15, 2017 9:40 am

stuart wrote in Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:14 pm:
    * Hold [Shift] while looking around to move the view up, down, left or right

Wow. :shock: I never knew about these ones until now and I've been a FlightGear user for the last 4-5 years.

This one should be documented as a tooltip on a question mark inside the property tree dialog. It's pretty difficult to stumble across this feature.
Michat wrote in Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:06 pm:Do you know that you can access to the internal property tree by pressing / key. Doing so you can consult and modify parameters or even prompt them on the screen, just select the parameters you are interested in, SHIFT + CLICK will do the trick.

Here are my tips:
"Press 'P' to pause the simulator while using any dialog during flight to avoid crashing"
"Click the top right square on the properties dialog to create a duplicate dialog showing the same properties" (This square should really be an icon and the new window should be offset 10px down and 10px right so you can actually see the effect)
Last edited by jarl.arntzen on Mon May 15, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frequent Flyer. Occasional Lander.
jarl.arntzen

IRC name: Jarl Arntzen
Version: 2017.1.1

Postby Clive2670 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:24 pm

FUEL FREEZE
To freeze (stop aircraft consuming) fuel. Press the following:
/
scroll down to sim and left click
scroll down to fuel and left click
scroll down to freeze and left click
change the setting in bottom box from false to true This must be lower case!
And "Bob's your Uncle" all fuel consumption will be halted until the next time you start FG. But don't forget if you are quite full of fuel in your tanks "lose" some of it to bring back to your M.L.W or landing could be a little tricky to say the least!
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby wkitty42 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:53 pm

erm... startup tips should be easy one-liners that folks can read and remember in a few seconds...

"Use --enable-fuel-freeze to stop craft from consuming fuel."

;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Clive2670 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:03 pm

Sorry didn't know that quick option!! Thanks to wkitty42 the font of all knowledge flightgear!
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby wkitty42 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:53 pm

hahahahaha! there's many others that know a lot more about flightgear than i ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Johan G » Sat May 20, 2017 8:18 pm

Michat wrote in Sun May 14, 2017 9:02 pm:F·3 AirSelfie is narcissism elevated to the highest level. :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Previous

Return to New features