Board index FlightGear Development New features

New Livery Database

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

New Livery Database

Postby FelixINX » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Hello!

I am currently with OctoberCMS platform and for the first project, I would like to make a new FlightGear livery database. I find that the actual one is not that good. Here is the feature I plan to add :
  • Completely new design and backend
  • All liveries are on GitHub (under GPL licence)
  • Ability to add livery by GitHub or on the website
  • Better management of new liveries, new thumbnail
  • Ability to add markdown description to any aircraft, airline, livery or paintkit
  • Rating system
  • Comments
  • Request
  • New structure (see File structure)
  • API (see API)
  • Featured liveries
  • Open source

Please note : this database will be unofficial unless admin decided to make it official.

More information:

File structure
Here is the planned file structure for the GitHub repo :
Code: Select all
+---Aircraft_ICAO
|   \---Airline_ICAO
|       \---Aircraft_Registration
\---example-A333
    \---example-ACA
        \---example-C-GFAH
            \---A330-343
                    ACA.png
                    ACA.xml

Here are the exceptions:
  • The aircraft doesn't have a ICAO code: The prefix S- is added followed by a slug. For example, S-UFO
  • The airline is virtual, or doesn't have a ICAO code: The prefix V- is added for virtual airlines, S- for slug or NONE for none. For example, V-MIA
  • There is no registration or can be changed in-game: The prefix S- is added followed by a custom slug. For example, S-UFOMIA
  • The aircraft have a special directory structure: By default, the file given in the registration directory is going to models/liveries/. If there is a path after, it will be added. For example, A333/ACA/C-GFAH/A330-343/files

API
The API will allow developers to build custom app with the Livery Database. For example, a desktop livery client could be possible.

Your opinion is very important! I do this for all of us, not just for me!

Thanks and have a great day!
FelixINX

Re: New Livery Database

Postby Johan G » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:33 am

While you of course are free to do that, I think it would be advantageous to mainly try collect liveries to the official repository (provided they fit the terms). I guess it could be a good complement for those liveries that currently do not fit in the official repository though. :)

One thing I think FlightGear have been relatively good at is to have all the infrastructure as little spread out as possible, making it easier for us users to find what we are looking for and making it easier to maintain the content and keep it compatible.

I personally would prefer if the official repository was enhanced and like the scenery database had the infrastructure improved so that reviewing submitted liveries could be shared between more than one reviewer (which have been an architectural bottleneck as that reviewer often have been a bit busy IRL). Being able to download liveries through the aircraft center dialog would probably be appreciated as well.

Do not let that discourage you though. Whether or not your database will be completed, used or maybe even integrated with FlightGear it will be a great (and sometimes tough) learning experience. :D

You might want to mention it on the developer mailing list (and do not let the naysayers get you down, many things now taken for granted initially met great resistance ;) ). Discussing it there may not only help possibly integrating it with FlightGear down the line, but may also help improve what we currently have.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby FelixINX » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:59 pm

Thanks for you opinion Johan!

I think FlightGear needs a new place for liveries, easier for users. Something comparable with FGAddon is my goal. At this point, only a moderator can manage the livery and it is not very safe (choose your name, or someone else's name).

I understand the fact that the infrastructure is not spread out, so if FG main developers want to replace the existing database by mine, it would be great.

In terms of integration in the menu, this is my second goal. I suggested the API to invite other developers to do so, if they are more skilled with the FlightGear interface. Currently FGAddon is in the launcher, then delivered a manager would be there too, I guess.
FelixINX

Postby Johan G » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:47 am

I should have remembered to suggest that you may want to contact Gijs who developed and maintain the current livery database to see if he have any suggestions (or is missing features he did not figure out how to implement). ;)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby erik » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:21 pm

It occurred to me that it would be nice to have the livery database coupled to the Launcher aircraft repository somehow. Then you could select an aircraft and get the available liveries as a choice.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby Johan G » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:28 pm

erik wrote in Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:21 pm:[...] it would be nice to have the livery database coupled to the Launcher aircraft repository [...]

Yep. It seems the three of us have different ways to express that though: ;)
Johan G wrote in Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:33 am:Being able to download liveries through the aircraft center dialog would probably be appreciated [...]

FelixINX wrote in Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:59 pm:In terms of integration in the menu, this is my second goal. I suggested the API to invite other developers to do so, if they are more skilled with the FlightGear interface. Currently FGAddon is in the launcher, then delivered a manager would be there too, I guess.
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby erik » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:37 pm

At least it's clear it would be a good idea :)

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby lomar » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:15 am

my point is that the official livery database has not been updated for a while. i'm pretty sure there are lots and lots of liveries on the qeue awaiting approval. I think that we need some more regular maintenance,and if someone decides to create a new database so the new system should work in a way that allows it(like not having just a single admin). there would be no use on creating another unmaintained domain.
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Postby FelixINX » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:59 pm

Sorry for the late reply, we have a heavy snowfall at CYUL... and internet problems :-(

I understand the importance of having an integration in FlightGear. It is for this reason that I create a very flexible system, in order to have the most possibility afterwards. In spite of everything, if I am in a position to create an official database, the first step is made!

lomar wrote in Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:15 am:my point is that the official livery database has not been updated for a while. i'm pretty sure there are lots and lots of liveries on the qeue awaiting approval. I think that we need some more regular maintenance,and if someone decides to create a new database so the new system should work in a way that allows it(like not having just a single admin). there would be no use on creating another unmaintained domain.

It is really this reason that prompted me to propose this project. I propose two solutions:
1. There may be several moderators
2. There will be a possibility to search for liveries with a status "on hold".

I will have a screenshot this afternoon. This will not be the best design, it's more to test the features, but I'm sure you'll have better ideas!
FelixINX

Postby FelixINX » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:11 pm

Hello!

Here are some screenshot.

Please keep in mind that this is not the final design. If you have any ideas, suggestions or comments, please do it :D !

- Felix
Last edited by FelixINX on Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FelixINX

Postby sanhozay » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:34 pm

The plural of aircraft is aircraft, so "Search by Aircraft", "list of all aircraft", etc.
Looks has no apostrophe.
Columns rather than collumns.
You are missing a "t" in FlightGear, top left.

(I don't normally correct people's spelling but you did say you wanted comments).
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby FelixINX » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:30 pm

It's ok, no problem. For aircraft, it's actually a bug, the software adds the plural, but it seems to have forgotten how to do it! I will correct it. For others, inattentions plus the fact that English is my second language, it does not help :?

Thanks!
Last edited by bugman on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not quote the entire previous post.
FelixINX

Postby FelixINX » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:29 pm

Hello everyone!

After a little rest, I finally had time to work on the project. I did not work very hard on the features. Instead, I put energy on the design.

You can follow the following link to see what the site looks like! https://invis.io/7NCXCIOQ3#/247453321_Flightgear-Liveries-All-Aircraft-960p-

Again, comments are welcome. You can also place them directly on the tool.

Thank you and see you soon with more features!
FelixINX

Return to New features