Board index FlightGear Development New features

FMS application for iOS / Android

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

FMS application for iOS / Android

Postby flycanarias » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:20 pm

Hello Guys,
I recently had an idea of having a FMS for Flightgear by creating an application for iOS and Android.
I think most FMS work in the sim itself is not very handy, although very realistic.
So I came up with the idea to make an application for iOS/Android to have a FMS on a tablet.
It would be very intuitive, because of the capability to "press the buttons".
In technical terms, I think most FG aircraft do not have a custom FMS, but they use the built in route planner...
If it's technically possible, we could make the "FMS App" an interface for the code of the route planner.
Obviously, the GUI should look like an airliners FMS...
What do you think, is there a chance to do it?
I just can give ideas, but not code anything due to very limited knowledge.

Regards, flycanarias
Canary Islands Custom Scenery
Improvement of the AI Traffic for the Canary Islands Region
RoutePlans for the Eastern Atlantic (Azores, Madeira, Cap Verde, Canaries)
About to open a Binter Canarias VA
flycanarias

Re: FMS application for iOS / Android

Postby Octal450 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:21 am

Hi
The only FMS I have seen that somewhat realistic so far is the private dev ARTIX A330 (not public).
The Boeing FMS which is in alot of planes is okay. It is not very realistic yet.

I think it would be a little waste of time to create an app for a FMS which is not complete/realistic yet. (it seems alot of devs stopped working on it :/)

I am *slowly* working on an FMS for my MD-88/90, which will functions hopefully 100% as the real one does.
When they are done, I will look into a iOS/Android app, or at least, webpage which you can serve from the PC running FGFS, and access on another device on that WiFi network.

Did I understand your question correctly?

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby flycanarias » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:50 am

Well, thanks for your reply.
You partly understood my question right... ;)

My idea was to set a GUI on an application, where you can set up your route.
BECAUSE very few FG aircraft have good FMS, I intended to use the code of the existing FG route manager.
So the application should be an Interface to modify the route as you would do with the route manager, BUT it should look and be operated like a real FMS.

It's basically all about the GUI. My point would be to have an application, which LOOKS and FEELS like a real FMS, but in it's core, it modifies the route manager. It should not be aircraft dependent, but general, and in the effect, turns your mobile device into a part of your flight equipment.
Hope to clarify what I'd like...

Kind regards,
flycanarias
flycanarias

Postby Johan G » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:53 am

Ah. A route manager manager. ;)

Pun aside, it would most probably be appreciated. Having a device in your hand would most probably be more user-friendly than clicking around on the screen.

Though it would be a lot of extra work, what about making it customizable/skinnable (in essence allowing custom button and display layouts)?
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Octal450 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:09 am

That's what I'm working toward, but having the entire interface customization per plane.

Route manager is very easy to work with, All you need is a way for the device to send "commands" to the PC, which converts them into the appropriate actions inside FGFS.... I think.... That's the hard part :)

Kind Regards.
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby Isaak » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:04 am

I would definitely use this! I suggest you contact Gijs, as he 's silently working on an updated version of the Boeing FMC for his 747-400. Might be useful to discuss the required features with him.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA

Postby sanhozay » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:23 am

If creating a tablet application, you have to decide whether to make distinct iOS and Android versions or use cross-platform toolkits, which have their limitations. Then it has to be deployed via the respective app stores and you need to fiddle about with generic protocols to make it talk to Flightgear.

I would have thought a far better solution would be to implement an FMS page in Phi accessed via a browser. Phi is already part of the running Flightgear process so can set route manager properties directly (without using a network protocol). It's also available to any Flightgear user without installing a third-party app, it's inherently cross-platform because it's Javascript/HTML5 and it works from a remote computer, e.g. a laptop as well as a tablet or phone.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby Johan G » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:30 am

Ah. Good points. :)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby flycanarias » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:16 pm

Well, I think we should divide this a little.

- We have the option to include the route management system into e.g. Phi. This would be possible, but not very sophisticated.

- We could as well make some functionality to simulate a realistic FMS on a touchscreen device. The core system of this functionality would be the same, the only different thing is, that the GUI is not a Dialog but a FMS/FMC styled interface. It should be designed to simulate the FMC panel, and work with every FG aircraft.
That's what I was up to, and if this is doable by a web based thing, alright.

So this would be my suggestion.

Regards,

flycanarias
flycanarias

Return to New features