Board index FlightGear Development New features

New feature for ATC coordination

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

New feature for ATC coordination

Postby mickybadia » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:52 pm

Hello everybody.

This is about ATC coordination, and Wolfram's handover server in particular, used jointly by OpenRadar and ATC-pie clients. I would like to request a lightweight feature for fairly significant impact: a private type of messaging through the server.

We could easily allow new <chatmsg> elements be sent to the server, and:
- <chatmsg> received by the server is only forwarded to whatever list of callsigns is included
- <chatmsg> received by a client is simply displayed on chat
- up to the client to decide whether a chat message goes through public or private chat.

In my opinion this would account for more realistic coordination. At the moment, controllers are using the public chat system which is killing the "backstage" nature of the work. And I reckon FGMS will not be implementing this any time soon.

What do you think?
mickybadia

Re: New feature for ATC coordination

Postby oscar6662 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:26 pm

absolutely true. Between ATC-pie users couldnt we use a FGComm freq like in a tower(the GND the DEL and the TWR talking in a no used FGCom freq?)
Todo bien todo correcto? Y yo que me alegro!!!
#keepKSFO

Sir. Berenguer
oscar6662

Callsign: AA2234
IRC name: N/A
Version: 3.4.0.

Postby mickybadia » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:32 pm

Of course any client can use an FGCom frequency for that, if it is not interfering. Though conversations will not exactly be hidden, it is a solution (already available with both clients) since voice coordination on Mumble is a pain when already using it to control.

<not-a-troll>
On this topic, more logical would even be the other way around: FGCom for controlling and Mumble for voice coordination. It allows to service/monitor multiple frequencies with zero channel switch, and does not need an FGCom frequency to which both ATCs can tune in together (a possible problem when far apart).
But this is a personal opinion which I know is not unanimously shared. And anyway...
</>
... I was referring more to a quick TEXT solution here, that would not be relying on FGMS to be modified.

One can argue at this point that PMs on Mumble does most the job. The problem is that it is not not integrated; I would prefer a double-click on somebody from my workstation to send them a message. So I asked because the implemetation seemed really minimal...
mickybadia

Postby mickybadia » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:01 pm

Hi,
As announced in its dedicated sub-forum, ATC-pie (version 1.5) now integrates a solution for ATC text coordination outside of the public chat system. The feature back-end is IRC, which allows users of any other client also to join using an IRC client.
So this more or less closes the thread, and retracts my initial request for any change in OpenRadar's native system.
mickybadia

Postby KB7 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:05 am

Are the details of the IRC server known and can I get them in PM if not an announcement?
KB7

Callsign: KB7
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby mickybadia » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:56 am

Sure.
The default set-up is to use server irc.flightgear.org and channel #atc.
These are actually configurable in the new ATC-pie settings so there is no definite server/channel pair, which allows for user groups to coordinate in their own space. But they are what you would normally get from MP users connecting to the public FGMS network.
mickybadia

Postby mickybadia » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:22 am

And I should add: for best results, use your FG network callsign (the one usually prefixed with the AD ICAO code) as IRC screen name.
mickybadia

Return to New features