Board index FlightGear Development New features

AI tankers  Topic is solved

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

AI tankers

Postby daveculp » Sat May 21, 2016 7:26 pm

I've been using the AI tankers menu item to spawn a tanker, and I'd like to say it's a great addition to FG. Thanks devs.

BTW, the dialog offers the KC-135 tanker only. Is there a way to add more tankers to the list? I see the AI/tankers.xml file lists several tankers, and I'm guessing this file is read by the AI tankers dialog? I'm only getting the KC-135. Could be a problem with the drop-down gui widget?

Using FG 2016.2.0
Lubuntu 15.10
daveculp

Callsign: DCulp
Version: 2017.3.1

Re: AI tankers

Postby Hooray » Sat May 21, 2016 7:30 pm

If I am not mistaken, the whole thing is using scripted AI objects via Nasal, there should be a tanker.nas module and a tanker.xml gui dialog in $FG_ROOT/gui/dialogs

If in doubt, I'd add a few print statements there to see if there is a problem
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby daveculp » Sat May 21, 2016 7:51 pm

Ahhhh, I see it. The combo box only shows tankers which are compatible with the refueling system of the user aircraft. It's smarter than I thought!
daveculp

Callsign: DCulp
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby Hooray » Sat May 21, 2016 7:59 pm

Yeah, while the Nasal code is sitting on top of all the AI system code that you and Durk once wrote, it is much better configurable, and maintainable - so that it has been seeing tons of extensions over time, especially when compared to the underlying C++ code - and even the bombable addon is ultimately just controlling a bunch of AI models using properties and scripting.
It's a rather flexible system actually - and can even be used for scripted missiles/drones etc - and it would even be possible to implement "bots" without touching any C++ code
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to New features