Board index FlightGear Development New features

Filming in FG

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Filming in FG

Postby Foxtrot15 » Sat May 07, 2016 9:25 am

Hey everyone,

During the filming of FGPromo, i encountered many limitations in terms of what I could do in terms of shots. FGCamera was not feasible as it does not seem to work on Mac. Even so, its features are extremely limited.

For example, a very nice shot one can do in X-plane or FSX is "chasing" one plane, then transitioning to chase another plane. This is only possible in multiplayer using the camera assistant, which unfortunately required huge amounts of coordination, manpower and computer strength.

One solution is to allow users to fly alongside a replay, which is a feature of FSX. Another solution is to create a filming camera control mod, although the work that would go into it and its feasibility I'm not sure of.

Of course, filming in FG has its upsides too, such as being able to finely control light and weather.

Just some thoughts for the developers, these features would greatly simplify filming in FG, allowing easier promotion of Flightgear.
Foxtrot15

Callsign: Ice-99
Version: 2016.1.0

Re: Filming in FG

Postby wkitty42 » Sat May 07, 2016 4:26 pm

you can "fly alongside a replay" in fgfs now... start your replay and hit the 'v' key to switch to the view you desire... you can even drag the view around just like any other time... but maybe i'm missing something?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Foxtrot15 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:43 am

Oh I meant flying another plane with your replay.

For example, flying a 777 landing at 28L, then hitting replay and loading another plane, such as an a320 landing at 28R. I would thus be able to get simultaneous landings of two planes without using multiplayer or the low-graphics AI model.
Foxtrot15

Callsign: Ice-99
Version: 2016.1.0

Postby Johan G » Mon May 09, 2016 6:53 am

It is one of the features I miss from Ysflight, where you could save save your flight to later fly alongside that and even more flights.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to New features