Board index FlightGear Development New features

DIS (Distributed Interactive Simulation)

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: DIS (Distributed Interactive Simulation)

Postby Hooray » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:51 am

karljj1 wrote:On the topic of simulation protocols has anyone looked at CIGI?
http://cigi.sourceforge.net/index.php

These things are really better discussed on the FlightGear developer's mailing list, most of the people using these forums are users and contributors in the sense that they contribute to the base package by creating aircraft, scenery etc, not the FlightGear core.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby NicQ » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:44 am

Hooray wrote:
karljj1 wrote:On the topic of simulation protocols has anyone looked at CIGI?
http://cigi.sourceforge.net/index.php

These things are really better discussed on the FlightGear developer's mailing list, most of the people using these forums are users and contributors in the sense that they contribute to the base package by creating aircraft, scenery etc, not the FlightGear core.

This is simply not true. It's just your opinion, and I think it might be nice if you started clearly stating so instead of making yourself sound like you're some sort of authority figure :)

Nota Bene : I'm not a core developer, don't speak for the core developers, or for the Flight Gear community in any official or even "officious" way.
If it ain't broke, break it. How else are you going to figure out how it works ?
Callsign: C-NICQ, amateur FGFS military and aerobatic test pilot, pushing the envelope since 2009 (sic)

FGFS Gallery
Birds Of Gear, a blog
NicQ's Workshop
NicQ

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:00 am

NicQ wrote:
Hooray wrote:These things are really better discussed on the FlightGear developer's mailing list, most of the people using these forums are users and contributors in the sense that they contribute to the base package by creating aircraft, scenery etc, not the FlightGear core.

This is simply not true. It's just your opinion, and I think it might be nice if you started clearly stating so instead of making yourself sound like you're some sort of authority figure

Well, thanks for doing an excellent job misinterpreting what I said, this wasn't about me saying something "officially" - I only pointed out that software development related discussions are indeed officially meant to be discussed where most of the developers hang out, and that is the FlightGear developer's mailing list, this isn't about being a core developer or not - it's only about being able to read and understand one simple paragraph on these forums (provided by curt as the core developing project coordinator) :

Software development discussions are handled through the flightgear-devel@lists.sf.net mailing list. Please subscribe and post your patches, additions, bug fixes, and code questions there. Details can be found at this link: http://www.flightgear.org/mail.html

Of course you can try to bring up here whatever topics you're interested in, but if you are interested in FlightGear development related topics, the most appropriate place is certainly not this forum, but the mailing lists - at least for the time being. And this is something worth taking into account if you're interested in quality feedback from people directly involved in the project.

And no this is not my personal opinion, in fact I personally don't even think that this policy is necessarily a good one due to FlightGear development being possibly more tangible to newcomers if development related discussions also were to take place primarily on these forums.

In fact, just looking at some of my more recent postings, it should become obvious that these would normally also fall into this category of "development related" topics, so I somewhat ignore this policy myself to some extent.

I do however understand that mailing lists have some strong advantages, too - and I respect that those people involved in FlightGear development obviously prefer to use mailing lists.
Personally I am convinced however, that the most promising strategy would be a FlightGear newsgroup, which would be easily accessible via both means: forum-like web frontends, but also by newsreaders with all the advantages of E-Mail.

But given the nature of this topic, it is pretty obvious that this discussion isn't ideally handled by these user forums.
It's really about chosing the appropriate place for your threads: depending on the nature of one's question, one may be better off using these forums, the user's mailing list, developer's mailing list or even the wiki or IRC.

The signal to noise ratio (quality) and response times are varying for all of these options, depending on the nature of your topic.

Bottom line: if you want technical, reliable feedback about FlightGear development from those people who are actually involved in developing the FlightGear core, you are certainly well advised to first consult the developer's mailing list.

Of course we could even start discussing cooking recipes here, and probably a handful of users would be able to also contribute to these discussions - but still, going directly to a cooking community might result in a better signal/noise ratio, i.e. higher quality feedback by people in the know.

If you are still having problems understanding what I'm really trying to say, you might want to check out: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-que ... html#forum - interestingly, picking the appropriate forum for questions is one of the very first guidelines in this FAQ.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby karljj1 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:07 pm

I have signed up to the development list but now i find myself being spammed with dozens of e-mails a day on topics that have no interest to me. The adantage of using the forum is i can go to the topic that i am interested in and get e-mail updates when new posts are made.

Karl
karljj1

Postby karljj1 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:38 pm

What comment?

Update: I am still planning on adding DIS, i just have to get to grips with flightgear first.

Karl
karljj1

Postby Hooray » Sat May 09, 2009 10:55 pm

Thanks for the DIS update, but the other posts are probably just forum spam to fake reputation (forum posts), in order to post even more spam on these forums.

karljj1 wrote:Update: I am still planning on adding DIS, i just have to get to grips with flightgear first.

Do you have any specific questions or problems?
Last edited by Hooray on Sat May 09, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Re: HLA; Was: DIS (Distributed Interactive Simulation)

Postby martin » Mon May 18, 2009 6:34 pm

Chet wrote:
adamlube wrote:you "would" start or you "will" start :D

"Would". DIS is something I do at work, not in my spare time :).

Might be interesting in this context:

http://virtualair.sourceforge.net/

Martin.

Edit: Ah, forget it, it's already been mentioned.
FlightGear Scenery Release Manager
martin

Postby martin » Fri May 22, 2009 5:07 pm

AndersG wrote:I think he has moved on to try to implement HLA (High-Level Architecture) support for FlightGear:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualair

I some others looked at the plugin some time ago but at that time it wasn't working that well - but part of the problems were due to the RTI we used (CERTI).

I've been remotely involved in the "VirtualAir" project for a while - not too deeply but yet for a long period of time already. Thus I'd like to note that it's slowly getting into a useable state:

http://foxtrot.mgras.net/bitmap/FGFS/KDFW-HLA_ASN-c172_01.png

Cheers, Martin.
martin

Postby karljj1 » Sun May 24, 2009 1:09 am

Sounds good. With both DIS and HLA flightgear would be very appealing to the simulation industry :)
karljj1

Postby martin » Mon May 25, 2009 9:29 am

By the way ....

karljj1 wrote:I have signed up to the development list but now i find myself being spammed with dozens of e-mails a day on topics that have no interest to me.

I think you're subscribed to the wrong list, 'flightgear-devel' is pretty much low-volume and doesn't carry dozends of EMails a day,

Martin.
martin

Postby karljj1 » Mon May 25, 2009 5:05 pm

Martin its not too bad now, when i joined i was getting a lot of messages from it, guess it was a busy period. I have since set up a filter so they are all sent to a seperate folder(Not my spam folder lol). I can now browse through them without them taking over my inbox.
karljj1

Postby martin » Mon May 25, 2009 8:39 pm

karljj1 wrote:Sounds good. With both DIS and HLA flightgear would be very appealing to the simulation industry :)

Karl, we're currently evaluating how to map FlightGear properties to HLA. The SISO RPR FOM aims a lot at mapping DIS environments to HLA, but, on the other hand, doesn't cover even the basic needs. We might be interested in your expertise here. So, if you don't mind, please get my EMail address from the bottom of this page:

http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/contribute.php

and contact me.

Cheers, Martin.
martin

Postby karljj1 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:00 pm

Hi Martin, i sent you an e-mail the other day.

Karl
karljj1

Postby vincentlochet » Wed May 26, 2010 12:46 pm

Does anyone of you have already made this HLA plugin for FlightGear in a "final" version? I would be very interested in it!

Vincent
vincentlochet

Postby Hooray » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:44 pm

vincentlochet wrote:Does anyone of you have already made this HLA plugin for FlightGear in a "final" version? I would be very interested in it!

I don't know - but I think, your best chance of learning more about this particular FG effort is probably to use the FG developers mailing list, or maybe even directly write to the people who were involved in it.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

PreviousNext

Return to New features