Board index FlightGear Development New features

Showing WingFlex in Replay

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Showing WingFlex in Replay

Postby Vladimir Akimov » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:30 pm

Hello there!
I have been searching for on Wiki and this Forum something about how to add the wingflex on the replay, sadly, I can't find anything. We all know the A330 has wingflex and it is shown in Replay, however, the 787 versions don't have such option.
So... I wish someone could give me a hint or something about how to get it implemented, I'll do it by myself if possible.

Thanks
Happy flying!
You know me from youtube :)
I'm VladFlyer, take a look :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBOvOg ... yNsYKuAxbw
Vladimir Akimov

Callsign: VladFlyer
Version: 3.2.0

Re: Showing WingFlex in Replay

Postby Hooray » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:00 pm

the wingflex system is now based on property rules - so you need a property to enable/disable that using a property - and then its output properties need to be added to a flight recorder configuration file - pretty much like any other property - when replay is running, you would want to disable the underlying property rules and let the replay system handle those.
$FG_ROOT/Docs/README.flightrecorder should cover the underlying process.

There are some potential issues here, i.e. both subsystems are using so called "tied properties" which are considered problematic for a variety of reasons, which means in this case that things may not be as straightforward as they seem, because a property being "tied" means that is not part of the property tree, but that it lives inside a separate subsystem.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Vladimir Akimov » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:00 pm

Ok, so:
- I already find the readme about replay and read it all, the problem is: I can't find the flightrecorder.xml in the aircraft, if so, is it implemented in some other .xml file or I have to create one myself or adapt one from let's say 777? because I also can't find it on the A330,
- when I'll find or create the flightrecorder.xml , it seems like the parameter that is responsible for wings and stuff is the surfaces.xml ... I'll get that later... however I can't understand how does the localization of the files work, example: the 787-9 has a "wingflexer-params.xml" file so that i would probably need to connect it to the flightrecorder.xml but in the readme says "/Aircraft/Generic/flightrecorder/components/tanks.xml" (just and example), we don't have generic folder in this case, so I should be only editing to Aircraft/787-9/Systems/wingflexer-params.xml, is it right?

thank for the response

Vladimir Akimov

Postby Hooray » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:32 pm

flight recorder configuration files are normally shared between different aircraft, so that they reside in the "Generic" folder under $FG_ROOT/Aircraft - the idea is to come up with a handful of generic flight recorder files and let aircraft developers include/parameterize those on demand.

Note that the folder really is $FG_ROOT/Aircraft/Generic - it does not have anything to do with your own aircraft or its folders.

You can customize/override these things by copying those files and changing the paths accordingly, so that you can create your own set of flightrecorder files

My suggestion would be that you get involved in fixing up the documentation on the wiki, and I will respond with more specific examples that you can then add to the wiki, what do you think ?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Vladimir Akimov » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:26 pm

Well, i'm not sure i will be able to get in some sort of fixing, however I an write then what I did.

Vladimir Akimov

Postby Hooray » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:32 pm

the first step is creating a custom flightrecorder file, e.g. by using an existing one from the Generic folder as a template, and then adding custom properties to it (e.g. by playing with some of the AI properties) - once that is working, you can replace those with the wingflex properties.

Note however that I didn't check the autopilot/property-rule or flight recorder subsystems for their use of tied properties
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Vladimir Akimov » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:37 pm

Ok I'll try doing that. Thanks for the hint. I also contacted Legoboyvdlp as he may know where the normal flightrecorder might be.

Vladimir Akimov

Postby Hooray » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:38 pm

open the -set.xml file, and you will find the Generic flight recorder stuff getting included there.

Next, you can look up the properties used by the wingflex module - and then come up with a custom flight recorder config named wingflex.xml (also to be put under Generic)
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Vladimir Akimov » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:40 pm

That's it, but I can't find the flight recorder thing :(

Vladimir Akimov

Postby Hooray » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:50 pm

you need to look for the tags mentioned in README.flightrecorder - i.e. they may not be in the -set.xml file but included through separate xml files.

For instance, see: https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... t.xml#l409
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Vladimir Akimov » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:17 pm

Ok, I'll look closely to it.

Vladimir Akimov

Postby Vladimir Akimov » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:23 pm

Nop, It does not exist. I will take a look at other .xml files once again :(

Edit: I looked again and nothing, after that I decided to create a <flight-recorder> inside the 787-9-set, however, when testing, the replay simply didn't work. The airplane just stucks in middle air with spinning engines.

Vladimir Akimov

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:08 am

look at the c172p... the team has added a lot of other items to the recorder that are not saved by default... it should be easy enough to see what they've done and how they've done it...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Vladimir Akimov » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:11 am

But I really can't find it at the 787-9... I mean I even use word finder such as flight recorder and nothing!

Vladimir Akimov

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:03 am

nothing similar to this from the previously pointed to c172p? from the c172p-set.xml file...
Code: Select all
        <flight-recorder>
            <replay-config type="int">0</replay-config>
            <config n="0" include="Systems/flight-recorder/flight-recorder.xml">
                <name type="string">Cessna 172P Flight Recorder</name>
            </config>
        </flight-recorder>

following the carrot in the "include" line leads to all of the meaty parts AFAIK...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Next

Return to New features