Board index FlightGear Development New features

Feature suggestion for view adjustment

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Feature suggestion for view adjustment

Postby CaptainTech » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:56 pm

Hello.
This is not coded. The following image is just manipulated, but it should be good enough to tell what I mean:

Thank you for considering my feature suggestion :lol:
CaptainTech

Callsign: CaptainTech
Version: Newest

Re: Feature suggestion for view adjustment

Postby Parnikkapore » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:09 am

Hooray wrote:Better not waste your time learning to Photoshop and code the markup right away!

Haha,just joking,it was me. But he told another guy something like this.
There are free alternatives to every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next [PPA]

Postby CaptainTech » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:45 am

Maybe I could code it, but i don't want to be blamed, if I do something wrong…

…however, I'm glad that FlightGear is costumizable so well. And the fact that FlightGear is OpenSource. Other Simulators (such as YSFlight) are ClosedSource. But YSFlight is programmed by just one person, known as CaptainYS (Soji Yamakawa)
Many people contributed to FlightGear.
Last edited by Gijs on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please edit your post if you have more to add shortly after posting
CaptainTech

Callsign: CaptainTech
Version: Newest

Postby Michat » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:12 pm

Please could anybody help to do it, using those circle sliders is a torture, and navigate to the specific property takes just the time to miss the moment.

Also the spanish gui menu item that point to this dialog is bad used/translated, it was changed several years ago by the sentence pilot position instead of view position, I'll report that in the bug tracker where I also use to report feature suggestions, as somebody suggest to me in this foro.

However it seems that the feature suggestions are sprayed over different platforms, having different lucky to be read or taken into consideration. Being different if you report to the devel list, fgbugTracker ( where your suggestion is a ticket number ), or in the forum. Being so difficult to establish a real transactional line between users and developers.

Here an example with de decision to change SFO default airo, days ago, it was commented and decided in devel level, projected to the forum in order to legitimate it with a forum user poll. I'm pretty sure this still will be there if were a FGbugtracker feature suggestion. Listen guys this is not a complain about #saveksfo, because I was opposed to change our roots, and some other practical reasons. Instead off this is an real example in how the upper level have unroll the line to the user level which is a good attempt to communicate each other.

Could be better in the future if the devel list attempt to head and attack this kind of FGTorture historical problems that since 1997 the user suffer.

The solution you suggested should have the instant code support and help by the upper level. Right Now. Please. :mrgreen:

Sorry I've edited this post with one finger, it took time.
Last edited by Michat on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby Johan G » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:09 pm

I do not remember for sure, but I think it also is possible to use something like Ctrl-RMB* drag to drag the view point around, which is significantly easier to get right.

* Right mouse button
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Thorsten » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:51 am

Here an example with de decision to change SFO default airo, days ago, it was commented and decided in devel level, projected to the forum in order to legitimate it with a forum user poll.

Please stick with the facts rather than spreading discontent based on false premises. It was explained to you here in some detail what the procedure was.

The discussion to try to change default airport was held on the mailing lists where all project-relevant decisions have been made in the past and probably will continue to be made. Every list member was free to participate (and even non-list members can read and post). If you expect FG to change procedures because you don't want to read the list, it's not going to happen.

Even then, you (or anyone else) were entirely free to suggest KSFO as the new default airport during the one week period the question was up in the forum. Nobody felt it important to do it.

If you can't be bothered to express your opinion in time, that's fine, but please do us the kindness to not complain later. You missed two open opportunities to make your case, that's what has happened. Not some secret developer decision. Please don't blame others.

Being so difficult to establish a real transactional line between users and developers.

Usually not at all - if you're willing to actually talk to the people in question and listen to their answers, or even better, give it a try yourself and ask someone to help you.

Very difficult if you want something done, don't want to take into account that others might have a different opinion and expect essentially a servant to carry out your coding needs.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:58 am

In the event, personally I find the dialog fills none of my needs and so I have customized here.

I want two things out of it - first, I want to select large distances up to 1-2 km for making screenshots. Or I want to adjust very small distances for moving in-cockpit. The range of 0-100 m is unsuitable for both, so I have a fine and a coarse knob.

If that's considered generally useful, I can make it available.
Thorsten

Postby Marius_A » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:09 pm

Maybe this replacement dialog would be useful?

While the dialog is opened, keyboard (arrow keys and page_up / page_down) can also be used to control view position.
Marius_A

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:46 pm

That sounds a lot better than what we currently have, Thorsten, so please do go ahead and publish it.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Michat » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:44 pm

@Thorsten your are wrong if you think I complain about lack of transparency, dark process, or simply attribute that I get late reading, or just because I don't read it. I did a protest to save ksfo as soon as read the forum, because I don't agree with de change neither the way the normal user received that vertical decision from top to bottom bathed with < #100 poll votation. Yes, I know that I can list KSFO for the next default generation, I'll don't cause I'm not agree with the method that breaks tradition of years and thousand of users. That's clear, I'm not agree.

I'm more concerned at here on how the devel lift, could descend to the underground elevating FGTorture historical problems to the surface in order to repair or improved them. So, if you read my post again, I think I have express my concern also about the different platforms where suggestions are sprayed and how was a good attempt coming from dev line to users,etc. Just the paragraph that you cut from the quoting.

So, I'm here, trying to support what the user proposed, that is really one of the historical FGTortures that need to be repaired. I've invoked the elevator, if is vertical, it must get down to the gui floor, and don't get the usual photoshop answer. I don't think I'm trying to impose nothing or tent to think that I'm in the perfect right, if fact you are the one that can impose changes trough the code. I'm the one that use mock up's with photoshop-like.

So thank you guys who are repairing this fg issue dated in 1997. Mask using is recomended as the gui floor is plenty of dust.
Last edited by Michat on Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby abassign » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:18 pm

Michat wrote in Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:44 pm:@Thorsten your are wrong if you think I complain about lack of transparency, dark process, or simply attribute that I get late reading, or just because I don't read it. I did a protest to save ksfo as soon as read the forum, because I don't agree with de change neither the way the normal user received that vertical decision from top to bottom bathed with < #100 poll votation. Yes, I know that I can list KSFO for the next default generation, I'll don't cause I'm not agree with the method that breaks tradition of years and thousand of users. That's clear, I'm not agree.

Just a few hours ago I had a discussion with him about the problem of the lack of a complete and clear technical documentation that allows to modify and test the ALS code (and not only that, unfortunately). My fear is that now it can create a situation where all of FGFS structure depends more and more by a few people and not by a community as it should be in the GNU philosophy.
It would be very nice, for the fate of this project, that people would allow new forces to emerge and generate a product nearest to the standards of the existing simulators flight.
Thorsen and some of his followers have never looked favorably genuinely innovative projects such as replacing NASAL with Python (now a standard language in the 3D world) or the optimization of Rembrandt and his possible union with ALS.
I think that currently the FGFS project is in deep crisis and that it is necessary for something to change, so can not go on!
Last edited by Johan G on Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removing personal attacks
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2018.3

Postby Thorsten » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:03 pm

I'm not agree with the method that breaks tradition of years and thousand of users. That's clear, I'm not agree.

Your opinion is duly noted, but it seems the majority leans otherwise. You may claim that thousands of silent users would vote your way - but they might also vote my way. The fact is they've remained silent when asked, and that is counted as 'don't care'.

Thorsten your are wrong if you think I complain about lack of transparency, dark process

You did write: it was commented and decided in devel level, projected to the forum in order to legitimate it with a forum user poll.. I recognize that English is not your first language, but please note that this does sound like you complain about lack of transparency and an obscure process. If that was not your intention, then the phrasing was definitely off, but I'm happy to see your clarification.

My fear is that now it can create a situation where all of FGFS structure depends more and more by a few people and not by a community as it should be in the GNU philosophy.

FG depends on people being able to develop it further - nothing more.

Thorsen and some of his followers have never looked favorably genuinely innovative projects such as replacing NASAL with Python (now a standard language in the 3D world) or the optimization of Rembrandt and his possible union with ALS.

Yeah - the people doing the work have reservations about others deciding what they should work on. I guess you'll have to live with that in a volunteer project. It's my code that might get messed up by your PYTHON adventures, not yours, and I bet you won't be standing by to fix it.

To be clear - I'm not at all against the PYTHON project as Edward outlined it - I'm just against a version that generates a massive workload for me. I'm not at all against a union of ALS and Rembrandt - I just won't code it myself.

I actually offered a couple of times to give advice to anyone who wants to do it - no takers for some three years! All that talk about 'community this, philosophy that' is just a smoke-screen... the community didn't step up to the task, so it didn't get done. Don't blame me for it.
Last edited by Johan G on Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removing responnce to personal attack
Thorsten

Postby Milo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:04 pm

@abessign, I completely agree with your point of view. I barely say something on this forum but I nearly read every post on the Development thread, I am more a kind of observer. Sadly, I notice that there some people, mostly always the same, have a lack on open mind and, when anyone comes with a new idea, they often do what we call in French "tuer la poussin dans l'oef".
That negative and steady position, which is, what they think, is the only way it should, only slows down the development of this big Project.
It's really sad, because the opportunities are out there, but the permanent pushing down... Just sad...
GVX0250 _ FGFS v.Git _ Win10_ Asus N76V, RAM8GB, CPU: i7 2.4
Milo

Callsign: GAX0250
Version: Git

Postby Thorsten » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:11 pm

It's somewhat frustrating to see this thread misused to bring up old lists of grievances and accusations which have been addressed a few times already - I wish you people would do something constructive and present a few nice features for FG instead.

But I don't want to be part of this any longer, so I shall remove myself from this thread. I have a few rendering goodies to work on ;-)
Thorsten

Postby D-ECHO » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:15 pm

I'm sure we are all looking forward to the next diamonds you present to FGFS ;)
D-ECHO

Next

Return to New features