Board index FlightGear Development New features

Automatic selection of Rendering settings

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Automatic selection of Rendering settings

Postby Hooray » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:24 pm

@to the previous poster, the problem is more complex than you may think - there are quite a few subsystems and features that are having a mutual impact on each other, and sometimes that impact may not be obvious/immediate, and certainly not linear.

Apart from that, 15 fps is way too low - it would make sense to aim for at least 30 fps, and Erik came up with an interesting idea a few weeks ago, i.e. introducing "vendor/GPU profiles" with pre-selected default settings for certain graphics card - which could be based on community feedback - analogous to the existing support for joystick profiles:

Review of FG on reddit: xpost
erik wrote:The only thing I want to do is detect the video card and based on the GL renderer name turn on ALS (or not), turn on water shader (or not), turn on the 3d city shader (or not), etc.

The default would not be touched but based on the detected video card certain options would get enabled, making the first impression much more pleasant (for first time users).

Erik

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Graphics_Card_Profiles
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Parnikkapore » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:51 pm

That's the easiest thing that could be done.
(P.S. With my old Intel HD graphics machine the framerates stay around 5 on takeoff and rises to 25 in the middle of the ocean. KSFO,Yellow 172p,3.4)
There are free alternatives to every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next [PPA]

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:51 am

you should try the latest 2016.2.0 code and see how that frame rate is... i've seen an increase in the last few updates i've done...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Parnikkapore » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:57 am

It permanently broke down,hence my new machine.
There are free alternatives to every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next [PPA]

Previous

Return to New features