Board index FlightGear Development New features

Optimization (a metaphor)

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Optimization (a metaphor)

Postby VicMar » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:49 pm

You are unlikely to understand his ALS related light equations unless you have a strong background in math and physics
Maybe you assess my knowledge inaccurately. Perhaps I wrote my previous post whilst speaking for others less qualified than myself.

You must stop jumping to conclusions.

don't be worried about "falling out", in fact, you would be in most excellent company
If this is an open invitation for me to fall out with you, your arrogance hangs out!
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Hooray » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:19 pm

VicMar wrote in Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:49 pm:Maybe you assess my knowledge inaccurately. Perhaps I wrote my previous post whilst speaking for others less qualified than myself.
You must stop jumping to conclusions.

Thanks for your advice, but I didn't "asess" anything at all, I haven't even checked if you were theone asking for clarifcation, explanations and another analogy. But if that's the case, my "assessment" would be that you could use your qualifications to help others just as well, instead of playing down your qualifications here.

don't be worried about "falling out", in fact, you would be in most excellent company
If this is an open invitation for me to fall out with you, your arrogance hangs out!

Just take it for what it is, i.e. an "open invitation" not to be too careful with your choice of words when dealing with me, because I am unlikely to be bothered on the one hand, and because -for the sake of the discussion- it would frankly be completely irrelevant if I am offended by your wording or not.

PS: While I do realize, and even appreciate, that your response is undoubtedly colored by recent events (i.e. you already enjoying good company), I am not the one to use the terms "others less qualified than myself" to bring across a point, at which point, "arrogant" would no longer be such a far-fetched attribute to describe my attitude.

(no offense intended or taken though)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:29 pm

VicMar wrote in Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:49 pm:

wowowowow... i read hooray's comment exactly the opposite... i read it as "don't worry about falling out because we won't. you would still be in my most excellent company with me"...

a lot of this smacks also of different methods of communicating... i know of a german fellow who has lived in the states since before he was ten years old... a lot of what he writes strikes people as being condescending, arrogant and off-putting when it is simply the way he has learned to express himself and he is not using any tone like that at all... it is similar to what is seen with another contributor and aircraft developer seen in these forums... some languages are just gruff and abrupt and converting from them to english doesn't always come out cleanly and as nice as intended... several other members, some no longer here, fell into the same and there were a lot of misunderstood words and meanings that lead to some very heated... ahem... ""discussions"" that should never have been heated in the first place...

another problem that i see all the time is one person reading another's words using a voice in their head... if that voice is angry (the reader has had a bad day) then the words may be taken as angry...

i don't know how to suggest to handle this as i, too, fall into the pit at times... at some point, though, folks either learn or they don't... it isn't just one person's fault, either... it takes two to tango... writer and reader...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby VicMar » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:53 am

I think it is fair to say that Hooray and I haven't fallen out in the past and are not likely to now.

I've always said he 'goes on a bit' and he probably knows it would be almost impossible to find another FGer with less qualifications than me.

I apologise if our sarcasm has not been recognised during this exchange.

I still request that plain speech be used in order for us dummies to understand these discussions.

Cheers,

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Hooray » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:09 pm

like I say, no offense intended or taken - and I also don't think that there was a language barrier involved, it just seems that postings are colored by the recent "Development Push" - and I am in fact receiving messages asking if I am about to get banned, if I have already lost my wiki/moderator privileges etc, just because I don't always agree with Curt and his peers :lol:

I don't currently have the time to get back to all this, which may not be such a bad thing after all, but if I don't show up here, it has more to do with RL taking precedence currently, and not because the FlightGear community is such an intimidating group of people ;-)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Previous

Return to New features