Board index FlightGear Development New features

Thunder for the lightning?

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Thunder for the lightning?

Postby Thorsten » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:19 pm

Another way I was thinking at is to let FlightGear handle the sound generation but let aircraft developers influence the sound properties like (change in) volume.

That looks nice...

I guess ideally we'd offer three possibilities:

* sounds generated by an FG environment ambience system, passed through default settings
* sounds generated by an FG environment ambience system, passed through customized settings (say, volume attenuation,...)
* sounds modeled completely aircraft-side with FG environment ambience off

(which basically just requires a flag that switches the FG-side things off).

The reason I'm advocating this is that I really see that there's lots of detail which potentially matters. For instance, rain on a metal fuselage sounds different from rain on a canvas wing of a WW-I plane. Thunder may echo differently in a metal fuselage. Birds are usually not disturbed by sailplanes, so you can hear them as you soar in the same thermal, but they're unlikely to stay near a heli. And so on.

I think it would be nice to add environment sounds to a lot of planes for cheap, which we get if we generate it FG-side, but it should be possible to optionally get all the details.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:33 pm

where did this ever go? i know there's thunder with the lightning in the c172p but did it ever get anything done to add it to the whole sim in general so that craft do not have to be specially coded to cause the thunder sounds to be heard?

the reason i ask is because around KRDU these last several days, we've had some really nice (ahem!) thunderstorms with lots of lightning and thunder... seeing almost as much lightning in FG as out the window was a nice experience but not hearing the thunder was alarming and made me go check my sounds were working... i'm in the UFO a lot and i can hear its noises when we're traveling at velocity... so yeah, just wondering if this has gotten lost in the todo list or if i've missed a sound setting somewhere...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:35 pm

Currently aircraft handle all possible sounds.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:42 pm

ok so we've never moved past what we had three years ago... i guess that's why i don't hear the thunder in the UFO... or maybe it is just really really soundproof? :lol:

anyway, ok, thanks! :)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Previous

Return to New features