Board index FlightGear Development New features

Screenshot format

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Screenshot format

Postby MIG29pilot » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:31 pm

Hi!
I was just wondering, is there any way to make FG save the screenshots as jpegs instead of pngs? I was just wondering because the wiki doesn't seem to take pngs and neither does my television.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Re: Screenshot format

Postby Hooray » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:35 pm

The mongoose based Phi front-end does support jpeg - apart from that, I've been using/uploading tons of pngs to the wiki
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:52 pm

i haven't had any problems with png files on the wiki either... i have, however, had to reduce their size... the wiki does have some size and resolution limits in place... here's an example of one that i posted on the wiki...

http://wiki.flightgear.org/File:CH-53E_1024x768.png

i had to reduce it from the original 1600x1200 to 1024x768 for it to be accepted... reducing the resolution also reduced the actual file size...

edit: hummm... i wonder if the second ':' (colon) in the URL is causing problems with phpbb's img url processing?
Last edited by Gijs on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Nothing wrong with bbcode, you just did not link to an (pure) image file, but a wiki page with an image on it ;-)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby japreja » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:40 pm

If you have GIMP you can run it in batch mode and use a script-fu on the images to convert them, I've never done it but I've seen it talked about quite a bit. This gimp page might help. There is also a script example to convert xcf to jpg which might give insight on how to convert from png to jpg.
japreja

Postby Johan G » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:48 am

MIG29pilot wrote in Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:31 pm:...is there any way to make FG save the screenshots as jpegs instead of pngs?

No, not without changing the code. To my surprise FlightGear can (currently) only take .png screenshots. In essence it is the only format implemented. Before 2013 FlightGear also could take .ppm* screenshots (prior to commit 362d47).

The screenshot code resides in simgear/simgear/screen/screen-dump.hxx and screen-dump.cxx

* Portable PixMap. There is both a binary and an ASCI encoded human readable(!) format, though I am quite sure FlightGear used the binary format. ;) For history and specification, see the Wikipedia article Netpbm format (perm)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to New features